OD&D Since we have all those threads about old editions- Moldvay/Cook.

Gorg

Explorer
Is OSE topical, or are we limiting discussion to the original B/X? Sadly, the original was before my time. I grew up in the ’80s, but I was more into video games (though we did play HeroQuest).
BECMI is essentially the same game, just re-edited and with the promised companion rules, plus masters, and immortals rules added. So, yeah they're included. (including Rules Cyclopedia, too!) I'm not familiar with any of the third party rewrites.

Voadam

Legend
BECMI is essentially the same game, just re-edited and with the promised companion rules, plus masters, and immortals rules added. So, yeah they're included. (including Rules Cyclopedia, too!) I'm not familiar with any of the third party rewrites.
For third party stuff:

Labyrinth Lord (LL) and Old School Essentials (OSE) are basically retro clones with add on supplements to redo AD&D options in a basic format power baseline and a lot of support products (Labyrinth Lord in particular has tons of modules).

Adventurer Conqueror King System (ACKS), Basic Fantasy, Beyond the Wall, Lamentations of the Flame Princess (LotFP), and Scarlet Heroes are basically systems very compatible with Basic D&D. There are others too.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Cool. @Voadam covered the different retroclones. We’re coming to OSE from newer editions of D&D, so some our house rules reflect that experience.
  • Separate classes and races. OSE has an optional rule in its advanced fantasy genre rules that separates race from class. I use a homebrew setting with none of the traditional races, so this was table stakes. I’ve converted my homebrew races over to OSE. I like the power level of basic. There are differences between the races, but they aren’t extremely.
  • No racial level limitations or class restrictions. Given the way my setting works, it doesn’t make sense to have restrictions. I’m also too lazy to figure those out even if it did.
  • Ascending armor class. Everyone’s used to ascending armor class from playing 3e and newer editions, but I’ve also coupled it with the combat matrix (e.g., see my custom character sheet). The math is slightly different in certain edge cases with AAC (and THAC0) compared to the combat matrix, but this hybrid approach fixes that.
  • Variable weapon damage. We’re used to this, so it was a given. There have been some house rules I’ve seen with using d6s depending on fighting style (two-handed weapons = highest of 2d6, etc), but variable weapon damage is already in the book, and we’re used to it.
  • Other advanced options. We’re also using a few of the other advanced options OSE ported over from AD&D: combat options, wizards can use staves, multiclassing, extra classes. As a rule of thumb, I avoided anything (other than the raise dead restrictions) that added restrictions to classes (like the magic-user spellbook stuff or the changes to turning).
  • Character creation. We ported over a method we used in Pathfinder. Instead of rolling dice, we draw cards. We shuffle a deck of cards (334455677899) and deal out two cards for each ability score in order. My players like this approach because it feels fair compared to rolling. Characters come out somewhere between 3d6 and 4d6 drop lowest in terms of power. We’re also using a modified version of this approach to pick out gear because people spend way too much time trying to figure out what they want (and miss out on things they should have).
  • Rolling hit points. Characters get max hit points at 1st level. When they level up, they can choose between taking the average (rounded down) or rolling for hit points. This is another house rule I ported over from Pathfinder 1e. Surprisingly, more people than not choose to roll for hit points.
For the most part, I want to keep things as close to the original game as possible (while diverging in a few places I feel are important). We’re new to the game and still learning, but I also don’t want a lot of additional complexity. For me (as the referee), that’s the appeal. Too much extra stuff just creates problems.

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
I always used the variant damage but that is the only thing I remember being different from the base.

Maybe ignoring morale rolls and just roleplaying monsters and not really using reaction rolls?

In my opiniot morale and reaction rolls really define OSR play more than anything else, and B/X play in particular, almost as much as retainers. It makes Charisma more than just a dump stat.

For hit points I use a system where all Hit Dice are rerolled at each level. If the new result is higher if it used, if the old result is higher the old total is used, adding one to the total.

Example. A fighter has 1d8 hp at 1st level. They roll and get a 5. At second level they have 2 HD, so roll 2d8, and get a 10. This is their new hp total. At 3rd level they roll 3d8 and roll low, getting a 9. Their new total is 11 (10+1). At 4th level they roll 4d8, etc.

I also give PCs the option of spending a week carousing once per level to reroll their hp as per the above method.

My 1st house rule is roll 2d6+6, in order, for Ability Scores when creating a character.

#2 has been "for 2 handed melee weapons and crossbows, roll 2d6 and pick the higher number for damage". Since I recently purchased the Rules Cyclopedia, though, I want to implement the "Weapon Mastery" rules.

For thieves with a DEX bonus, use the higher row corresponding to the bonus. A level 1 thief with a +2 DEX bonus would use the level 3 thief skills row.

Magic users and elves get "Read Magic" + one other spell at first level.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases