Sing to me, O Muse, of BECMI!

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
I'm going to give some very specific suggestions, especially considering you're starting in Threshold. I'll stick to "official" TSR products, even though there is a lot of good info in the Vaults of Pandius.

For all of these, pick up PDFS at DriveThruRPG for just a few bucks. Will try to avoid spoilers here. In the approximate order in which I find them useful:

1. B11 - King's Festival - You're not getting this for the adventure. Instead, pick it up for several pages of excellent DM tips for the BECMI system in particular and all editions in general (pages 3-9), some additional information on your setting (Karameikos) on page 10, and the "Adventure Clock" on page 20. The adventure is decent enough, but if you don't think the Big Bad's name (Kavorquian) is now an old enough reference to slip by your players unnoticed, you're going to have to change that name before you run this. But the big draw here are the DM tips and especially the Adventure Clock.

2. B10 - Night's Dark Terror - You'll find good DM'ing tips for Wilderness adventures on pages 3-5 as well as some additional information about Karameikos in general. There's a very nice "flavor" section on Threshold (pages 34-35) itself, and the page on Weather and Calendar is something you'll want to grab (Pull-Out Sheet VII) but also get this for the adventure - this is consistently rated as one of the best adventure modules TSR published for a reason. You'll not want to run the adventure right away but the sooner you can start laying bread crumbs for the players to follow to start this up, the better. It takes place around Threshold so it's a natural fit. You can cut the adventure short once it leads the characters back to Threshold (approximately page 39) but if you take it all the way through to the end there are some opportunities for EPIC set-pieces your players will talk about for years and some truly fascinating world-building/history reveals the deeper you go.

3. B1-9 - In Search of Adventure - This is a compilation work that essentially takes most of the content in modules B1 through B9 and organizes them into a branching adventure tree to allow you to easily run a sandbox style campaign in Karameikos that will take most characters through about 4 adventures (and probably about 5th level). All roads eventually lead to Specularum, the capital city. This is one of the best values in terms of adventures you're likely to find, and while there is very little new about the setting here, I find the "Interludes" that connect the adventures are great to either use outright or steal as templates for hooks and other ways to transition from one adventure to another.

4. GAZ1 - Karameikos - This is almost a no-brainer. Use this almost purely for flavor; ignore the crunchy rules bits for the most part. The calendar on page 33 and the information about the economy (and coinage) on page 34 are useful anywhere in Karameikos, including Threshold. Also, there is quite a bit on Threshold on pages 39 and 40 and with context of the others cities you can see how Threshold "fits" into the nation at large. The "Characters" section - particularly NPCs in Threshold (pages 56 and 57) and the Black Eagle Barony (since you've already introduced Bargle - pages 58 and 59) are useful too. Finally, campaign building advice and adventure ideas on pages 61 through 64 will be welcome. The only reason this is so low is that it isn't strictly Threshold-focused, and if you already grabbed B11 you have the calendar so the only things that apply to your campaign right now are the bit on coinage and the extra background information on NPCs (which is among the easiest things to find on the web at large for free).

5. B6 - The Veiled Society - You don't need this if you picked up B1-9 per my point 3 above, but this is a great change-of-pace adventure that presents an investigative mystery instead of a straight dungeon crawl like most other B-series modules. Pages 2-5 give some information about the political intrigue that leads to the story's events (including introductions to NPC personalities) and if you're willing to read into things a bit, walk you through the experience of "characters from a small town entering the big city for the first time." This adventure has little off-screeen vignettes (on the title page, pages 4, 5 and 8 that, depending on your DMing style, you may wish to share with your players post-adventure - though don't share them before it's complete as they will spoil the adventure).

EDIT: Wow, read this in "Related Threads" from a recent thread and just noticed the last post was from about 6 months ago. Apologies for the thread-necromancy.

I'm going to give some very specific suggestions, especially considering you're starting in Threshold. I'll stick to "official" TSR products, even though there is a lot of good info in the Vaults of Pandius.

For all of these, pick up PDFS at DriveThruRPG for just a few bucks. Will try to avoid spoilers here. In the approximate order in which I find them useful:

1. B11 - King's Festival - You're not getting this for the adventure. Instead, pick it up for several pages of excellent DM tips for the BECMI system in particular and all editions in general (pages 3-9), some additional information on your setting (Karameikos) on page 10, and the "Adventure Clock" on page 20. The adventure is decent enough, but if you don't think the Big Bad's name (Kavorquian) is now an old enough reference to slip by your players unnoticed, you're going to have to change that name before you run this. But the big draw here are the DM tips and especially the Adventure Clock.

2. B10 - Night's Dark Terror - You'll find good DM'ing tips for Wilderness adventures on pages 3-5 as well as some additional information about Karameikos in general. There's a very nice "flavor" section on Threshold (pages 34-35) itself, and the page on Weather and Calendar is something you'll want to grab (Pull-Out Sheet VII) but also get this for the adventure - this is consistently rated as one of the best adventure modules TSR published for a reason. You'll not want to run the adventure right away but the sooner you can start laying bread crumbs for the players to follow to start this up, the better. It takes place around Threshold so it's a natural fit. You can cut the adventure short once it leads the characters back to Threshold (approximately page 39) but if you take it all the way through to the end there are some opportunities for EPIC set-pieces your players will talk about for years and some truly fascinating world-building/history reveals the deeper you go.

3. B1-9 - In Search of Adventure - This is a compilation work that essentially takes most of the content in modules B1 through B9 and organizes them into a branching adventure tree to allow you to easily run a sandbox style campaign in Karameikos that will take most characters through about 4 adventures (and probably about 5th level). All roads eventually lead to Specularum, the capital city. This is one of the best values in terms of adventures you're likely to find, and while there is very little new about the setting here, I find the "Interludes" that connect the adventures are great to either use outright or steal as templates for hooks and other ways to transition from one adventure to another.

4. GAZ1 - Karameikos - This is almost a no-brainer. Use this almost purely for flavor; ignore the crunchy rules bits for the most part. The calendar on page 33 and the information about the economy (and coinage) on page 34 are useful anywhere in Karameikos, including Threshold. Also, there is quite a bit on Threshold on pages 39 and 40 and with context of the others cities you can see how Threshold "fits" into the nation at large. The "Characters" section - particularly NPCs in Threshold (pages 56 and 57) and the Black Eagle Barony (since you've already introduced Bargle - pages 58 and 59) are useful too. Finally, campaign building advice and adventure ideas on pages 61 through 64 will be welcome. The only reason this is so low is that it isn't strictly Threshold-focused, and if you already grabbed B11 you have the calendar so the only things that apply to your campaign right now are the bit on coinage and the extra background information on NPCs (which is among the easiest things to find on the web at large for free).

5. B6 - The Veiled Society - You don't need this if you picked up B1-9 per my point 3 above, but this is a great change-of-pace adventure that presents an investigative mystery instead of a straight dungeon crawl like most other B-series modules. Pages 2-5 give some information about the political intrigue that leads to the story's events (including introductions to NPC personalities) and if you're willing to read into things a bit, walk you through the experience of "characters from a small town entering the big city for the first time." This adventure has little off-screeen vignettes (on the title page, pages 4, 5 and 8 that, depending on your DMing style, you may wish to share with your players post-adventure - though don't share them before it's complete as they will spoil the adventure).

EDIT: Wow, read this in "Related Threads" from a recent thread and just noticed the last post was from about 6 months ago. Apologies for the thread-necromancy.
This is a great post, and I am going over to drivethrurpg as soon as I am able to check out your recommendations.

Something that I am curious about: in the Dolmenwood Campaign book, there is a chart for random encounters that describes the monsters doing something other than either attacking or befriending the PCs.
For example, the DM rolls for the monster type (say that it’s goblins), then rolls on this other chart, and it says that they are chasing other monsters. The DM rolls for a second monster (maybe an ogre). So, the encounter is the PCs watching a band of goblins chasing an ogre, instead of just stumbling across a band of goblins (roll for reaction). Kind of cool. It could also be that the goblins are performing a ritual or are building something, or, maybe, they have all been trapped in some way.

Is there anything like that in BECMI products?

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
This is a great post, and I am going over to drivethrurpg as soon as I am able to check out your recommendations.

Something that I am curious about: in the Dolmenwood Campaign book, there is a chart for random encounters that describes the monsters doing something other than either attacking or befriending the PCs.
For example, the DM rolls for the monster type (say that it’s goblins), then rolls on this other chart, and it says that they are chasing other monsters. The DM rolls for a second monster (maybe an ogre). So, the encounter is the PCs watching a band of goblins chasing an ogre, instead of just stumbling across a band of goblins (roll for reaction). Kind of cool. It could also be that the goblins are performing a ritual or are building something, or, maybe, they have all been trapped in some way.

Is there anything like that in BECMI products?
If there isn't, there's a great set of tables for those on the d4 caltrops blog for every monster in B/X / OSE, which is pretty much the same list as BE.

I looked up t he recommended modules on drivethrurpg and determined it would be about $70 to get all those modules, plus b12 “Queen’s Harvest” in pod and pdf.

The Sigil

I looked up t he recommended modules on drivethrurpg and determined it would be about $70 to get all those modules, plus b12 “Queen’s Harvest” in pod and pdf.
Yes, if you're going to go POD that's going to run you about $70.

King's Festival: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17141/B11-Kings-Festival-Basic - $4.99 PDF / $9.99 POD / $11.99 Both
Night's Dark Terror: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17119/B10-Nights-Dark-Terror-Basic - $4.99 PDF / $10.79 POD / $13.09 Both (currently on sale for POD/Both)
In Search of Adventure: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17131/B19-In-Search-of-Adventure-Basic - $9.99 PDF / $16.00 PDF / $18.00 Both
The Grand Duchy of Karameikos: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16974/GAZ1-The-Grand-Duchy-of-Karameikos-Basic - $4.99 PDF / $9.99 POD / $11.99 Both
Veiled Society: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17102/B6-The-Veiled-Society-Basic - $4.99 PDF / $9.99 POD / $11.99 Both

Remember, if you purchase, In Search of Adventure, you probably DON'T need to purchase The Veiled Society (almost all of the text in B6 is reproduced in B1-9, including the vignettes). So if you're going for "both" on everything that will cut your cost to $55.07. If you go PDF only you're looking at $24.96 (again, assuming you're getting In Search of Adventure and NOT Veiled Society). Veiled Society contains several pages of primitive "cut out and paste/tape-together building miniatures" that weren't included in In Search of Adventure - that's the main difference in content between the two and it's not likely to be missed.

If you want the physical books as collectibles or you just like books in your hand, go for the POD; however, in terms of what you're going to use out of these products for a typical campaign, I have a hard time recommending POD for King's Festival or the Veiled Society (or Queen's Harvest); they're small enough that you could print them on a laser printer and easily staple them together (they're only 32 pages, and if your printer can handle double-sided printing that's just 16 sheets of paper; even at single-sided it's still not ridiculously thick for a stapler). I would definitely recommend POD for Night's Dark Terror and The Grand Duchy of Karameikos. I'm kind of down the middle on In Search of Adventure book - I do like the feel of the POD in my hand (and am a bit of a collector), but since you will be skipping around all over the book (especially because all the maps are in the back section of the book), and you'll only ever be using a few pages at a time (map plus adventures) and you're never likely to need the whole thing, printing selected handfuls of pages on an as needed basis will probably be cheaper. In fact, I used it last year and despite having both the POD and the PDF, found it easier to use two copies of a PDF (one open to the adventure, one open to the appropriate map) than flipping back and forth in the POD version (I tried the POD for one or two sessions then spent the next 30 or so sessions running out of the PDF version).

To recap, if you don't have a compelling reason to get the POD (e.g., collector) and money is an issue (of course if it's THAT tight, get PDF-only):
King's Festival - recommend the PDF over the POD
Night's Dark Terror - recommend the POD
In Search of Adventure - for actual play, use the PDF, though the POD - with most of 9 adventures in it - is a great bargain IMO
The Grand Duchy of Karameikos - recommend the POD
Veiled Society: - recommend getting In Search of Adventure instead, but if you're going to get this, I recommend the PDF

Also, bear in mind you don't need to get ALL of them - if money is super-tight, start with $5 on the PDF of King's Festival and stop there. Add the others as budget permits in the format you want.

Queen's Harvest: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17142/B12-Queens-Harvest-Basic - $4.99 PDF / $8.99 POD / $11.29 Both (POD and Both currently on sale)

Finally, while Queen's Harvest is written as a followup to King's Festival, I will note it's a pretty generic adventure that could easily have been plopped into any campaign setting. There's not much in the way of BECMI-specific GMing advice or additional setting information - though the fact that it is written in the BECMI system means you won't have to convert anything. The pieces I mentioned above will, I believe, actively enhance your experience and while Queen's Harvest won't actively detract from it, it really doesn't enhance it either... it's just kind of there. So I'm neutral on it - I wouldn't recommend AGAINST it if you're interested in it, but there isn't enough in it for me to specifically recommend FOR it to someone running BECMI either, especially if you've picked up the top 4 pieces above - those will be plenty to take your characters to the point where this adventure will be woefully underleveled for them as written.

Last edited:

The Sigil

Also, if your campaign runs a little bit longer and you want a dash of whimsy and some unique magic items your players are likely not to have heard of, it's hard to go wrong with AC4 - The Book of Marvelous Magic (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17173/AC4-The-Book-of-Marvelous-Magic-Basic-1e ). This would probably be suitable for any sort of campaign, but I don't think it's "urgent" to pick up - it would be a nice pickup in PDF to plumb for ideas if your players are the type that read the DM guide and think they know it all and you want to throw your players a curveball.

Or, if you are the type that enjoys true ridiculousness in your campaign, pick up AC11 - The Book of Wondrous Inventions (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16978/AC11-The-Book-of-Wondrous-Inventions-Basic ) - but note I only recommend this if you want some ridiculous comic relief in your campaign. It's not really for the serious. Buy it if you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket and you're bored or if you just want a good laugh. It's a Jim Holloway-illustrated piece, so that should give you an idea of the tone (as should the cover illustration).

ThrorII

Adventurer
So here is my two coppers: I strongly prefer B/X, due to the books being better table references, theif skills are not a joke, and a soft level 14 cap seems more playable.

That being said, using Mentzer Basic, a 1ST PRINTING Mentzer Expert (original BX thief skill levels), and only using Book 2 of Companion (for War Machine and Domain play) and starting Companion at level 9 thru 14, will give you years of solid BECMI play!

Remove ads