D&D 5E Single class Hexblade - missing something?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

I'm a bit obsessed about this class. I know that a hexblade multiclass can be a very strong build, but I really would like to play it single class. But... I have issues.

The Hexblade seems to be, on the surface, the classical "Gish" - the fighter/mage that blends swordplay and sorcery to win the day.

A Gish will classically use her sword for most of her damage. She will use magic to enhance her fighting ability (because it's hard to use a sword to enhance your spellcasting ability), or sometime cast a key spell at the beginning of combat (like a wall spell to divide a battlefield). also, magic will give the character some utility and diversity in non-combat situation - a well used invisibility or suggestion spell is very useful. That is the theory of how a well functioning gish should work...

aaaaaand with the hexblade it doesn't seem to quite work, you run out of gas fast. This is in part because from level 2-10, you only have 2 spell slots.

First, the hexblade has to use magic to enhance her fighting ability, clearly - her hp is lower than most of the other warrior classes, she only has access to medium armor and shield, and while she can use her CHA to attack, and her curse on one foe, she doesn't have fighting styles, bonus feats etc to boost her damage output. So in a fight you will probably want to use some kind of defensive spell, then you'll have access to another slot to boost damage (hex, smite , or maybe mobility across the battlefield, or a key spell (hypnotic pattern? Counterspell) that can turn the tide of battle ... but only one of these. (incidentally, Armor of Agathy, being both offensive and defensive, helps).

If you have used either of those slots for utility outside of combat, you are now rather low on magic. Or if you have two fights between short rests.

Warlocks can also use their eldritch invocations to enhance their utility outside of combat. The hexblade can do this, but she will have a much harder time - she needs those invocation to enhance her fighting ability. For example thirsting blade at level 5 to get that second attack. This leaves the hexblade with far fewer out of combat tricks. So what's left is a few utility cantrips, and perhaps one spare eldritch invocation for utility.

Other warlocks face the same challenge, but they can rely on eldritch blast to deal pretty decent damage, while the hexblade must rely on their sword (I mean, I guess you could build an EB based hexblade... but that's more of a hexcheese really). Furthermore, it is easier to build them with a few more utility invocations.

So... what to do without multiclassing?

So... what to do without multiclassing?
Stop worrying about "optimisation" or being "a classic gish who uses spell slots in every fight". A hexblade is a hexblade.

Hexblade performs just fine even when they have no spellslots remaining.

A few things to note about the single-classed hexblade:

* They are good a crit fishing - consider combining Elven Accuracy with GWM.

* You are a pet class.

Stop worrying about "optimisation" or being "a classic gish who uses spell slots in every fight". A hexblade is a hexblade.

Hexblade performs just fine even when they have no spellslots remaining.

A few things to note about the single-classed hexblade:

* They are good a crit fishing - consider combining Elven Accuracy with GWM.

* You are a pet class.

Before I actually start:
I think the warlock as whole would benefit from an invocation slot at level 3, since there are pact gated invocations without level restrictions you can only get by retraining at that point.

Here a few additions:

• The hexblade curse works as well with eldritch blast as with a blade. So the hexblade is not really a gish but rather a "full" spellcaster with a lot of at will spells that can do melee.
  • a fighter mage needs to pay for his fighting ability. In older additions it was slower level progression as a multiclass character. Now you need to consider adding 1 or two levels of fighter. You function really well with that combination, no matter which patron you pick, but as Hexblade you have it a bit easier. 13 Str, some con and a lot charisma makes you actually good at any fighting style.
  • Bladesinger cantrips (which are conveniently also warlock spells) help you play without thirsting blade taking aome pressure from your invocation shortness. Most probably they will be readded in Tasha's CoE.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I played a single class Hexblade from level 6 to level 12 in our Strahd game, here's some observations.

1) You're the only (official) subclass in the game that can leverage Elven Accuracy and GWM. That should be your target assuming you expect the game to be at 8+ for a while. If your party uses flanking, you're golden. If not, then Shadow of Moil is a fantastic spell to gain advantage.

2) Before level 8, don't sweat the Extra Attack invocation. Go shield and one-hander, and rely on Booming Blade and Eldritch Blast. Once you have GWM, then go 2H when there's a good situation available, ideally where you have advantage.

3) Don't feel like you're supposed to be up in melee. If you can do good damage from ranged, than stay ranged and rely on EB+AB. That's just good strategy in general, not just for hexblades. One of the best parts of hexblade is that you can swap between ranged and melee with almost no opportunity cost.

4) Hex is a great spell for sorlocks, but it's not so great for you. Maybe it's worth it at Tier 3 when you can precast it and have it ready for 24 hrs for fights where you can sit back and spray EB.

5) Drop that idea that you're a gish and you should be using your magic every combat. Spells are for hard fights. Armor of Agathys should be your bread and butter for when you need to wade into melee. Keep a mobility spell handy (misty step or thunder step), counterspell, and some other utility spells, preferably ones that scale. One AoE is good to have for Tier 2. Shadow of Moil, as mentioned, is a must have. Those utility low-level spells that the other casters have aren't really for you, since you have to burn a high-level slot for them. Shield might be worth it, but I had to grit my teeth every time I cast it.

6) Tactical awareness is key. Don't burn spells on easy-to-moderate fights. Don't use AoE if someone else in the party can handle it. If possible, keep a counterspell or escape spell in reserve.

On Hex, you might want the Relentless Hex Invocation (level 7), which can trigger off Hexblade's Curse or Hex. I don't think Maddening Hex is worth it though. Eldritch Smite is a bit of a trap option unless you are multiclassed to something with a shedload of spellslots.

Darkness + Devil's Sight is good for crit fishing, but might make you unpopular with your team.

I've never found a need to use magic to up my defense as a hexblade - either you have a shield and therefore plenty of AC or you're hitting hard enough that no one has much of a chance to hit you back. Unless you dumped dex or con, you should be fine there.

Offensively, you should be leveraging the SCAG cantrips and Eldritch Smites, plus spells when they're going to be really useful. You do need to think about how to use those two slots most effectively, but that's the fun part. Pure hexblades aren't easy mode like sorlocks are - you gotta use some smarts to really play it well.

The classic 1e Elven Fighter 1/ Magic User 1 had only a single spell for the entire day as a baseline.

The Hexblade through Cantrips, is a magical warrior. Eldritch Blast and Booming Blade, specifically.
A Hexblade is Emrikol the Chaotic with armor and weapons...EB beams from afar, weapons up close.

At 2nd level you pick up a second spell slot per Short Rest, and two Invocations. Being able to cast False Life on yourself at will through an Invocation at 2nd level alleviates the HP gap between the Hexblade and d10 HP classes. At 5th level retrain the Invocation( you have enough HP).

A Hexblade is a natural battlefield controller. Repelling Blast on the EB, keeps the monster's patchouli stink away from you. The War Caster feat allows you to use Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade on OAs, which with the Pole Arm Master and/or Sentinel feats can add the feel of being a Battlefield controller to the character.

If you do want to muli-class, the key question is do you want Heavy Armor?
Certain Cleric domains are the only way for you to get the Heavy Armor proficiency from a multi-class dip....unless you do not start as a 'Lock.

Echo Knight (Fighter) + Hexblade, can be a good, at will controller. Echo Avatar is a better scout then a Familiar...who needs Pact of the Chain! 😈

Paladin + Hexblade is a very good Combo. Arcane Smite and Divine Smite technically stack, so a single expenditure of a Warlock spell slot can get you the effects of both.
The Pally spell list is good, and having a Preparation spell list to access has many benefits.

A Hexblade can also Arcane Smite with a Bow with the Improved Pact Weapon Invocation.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I played a single class Hexblade from level 6 to level 12 in our Strahd game, here's some observations.

I'm going to be pretty critical here, but I did want to thank you for the very detailed response :) It's particularly appreciated because of your experience

1) You're the only (official) subclass in the game that can leverage Elven Accuracy and GWM. That should be your target assuming you expect the game to be at 8+ for a while. If your party uses flanking, you're golden. If not, then Shadow of Moil is a fantastic spell to gain advantage.

If you are an elf/half elf, that's a two feat combo... so level 8 minimum (and no boosts to your charisma)... I don't know.

3) Don't feel like you're supposed to be up in melee. If you can do good damage from ranged, than stay ranged and rely on EB+AB. That's just good strategy in general, not just for hexblades. One of the best parts of hexblade is that you can swap between ranged and melee with almost no opportunity cost.

I treat EB as a good cantrip to have to be able to attack at ranged when forced to (like the barbarian carrying a few javelins basically). It really annoys me that perhaps the best way to play hexblade is to not fight in melee and rely on EB+AB spam. That's cheesy and against the "spirit" of the class, but you need a dip in another class to be able to do fight in melee well (without using magic).

I would note that there is an opportunity cost - the invocation you use for AB could be used to boost your fighting or give yourself versatility.

4) Hex is a great spell for sorlocks, but it's not so great for you. Maybe it's worth it at Tier 3 when you can precast it and have it ready for 24 hrs for fights where you can sit back and spray EB.

I agree that Hex isn't so great (bonus action needs, concentration in melee). As far as Tier 3 ans spamming EB, see above.

I will also note that at level 11 and above, having 3 slots instead of 2 reaaaaly helps.

5) Drop that idea that you're a gish and you should be using your magic every combat.

A magic-less single class hexblade is pretty 2nd rate in combat. (multi-class reaaaly helps here).

Spells are for hard fights. Armor of Agathys should be your bread and butter for when you need to wade into melee. Keep a mobility spell handy (misty step or thunder step), counterspell, and some other utility spells, preferably ones that scale. One AoE is good to have for Tier 2. Shadow of Moil, as mentioned, is a must have.

A single class hexblade at mid level has enough spell known to do all this... but they don't have the slots. You spend one slot on either armor of agathys or shadow of moil (having both is pretty bad-ass but then you have no more spells) and then you have one more slot. If you AoE or control, you can't counterspell or have mobility. If you use your mobility spell you can't counterspell etc etc.

(see above comment about level 11 and above)

Those utility low-level spells that the other casters have aren't really for you, since you have to burn a high-level slot for them.

It's a shame that you can't easily use your spells for versatility outside of combat - you certainly can know enough spells to have a few spares...

Shield might be worth it, but I had to grit my teeth every time I cast it.

Yeah....

Remove ads