D&D General Single target Silence spell -- higher level, lower level or the same?

Is this spell ...

• Higher level than silence?

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Lower level than silence?

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • The same level as silence?

Votes: 2 28.6%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm thinking about creating a variant on silence that affects only one target.

But what level would it be? Higher level, because it's a more precision instrument that won't accidentally silence party members? Lower level, because it can't silence a whole room full of spellcasters? Or does it work out to be the same level as usual, because of those two factors cancelling each other out?

Stormonu

Legend
Cantrip if it has a short range (about 30 feet), sticks to the target, target gets a save but ends at the start of the caster's next turn. 1st level if it is short range (about 60 feet), sticks to the target and target gets a save every round. 2nd level if it is ranged (120 feet), sticks to the target but target gets a save every round. 3rd level if ranged (120 feet), sticks to the target, but target gets a save only once every minute or less (and can be upleveled to affect an additional target within 15 feet for each level above 3rd). I would expect all these versions provide no protection to thunder damage.

Some interesting variations might be disadvantage on the save if the target is touched (no change to level?), or a sphere, requiring concentration but can be moved 20 feet a round as a bonus action.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I thought about this after one of the cast members of Nerd Poker made a joke about casting "no mouth" on someone, and I realized that a transmutation spell that took away a caster's mouth would be a great visual and could rely on the Strength save, which is rarely used, but again provides a great visual of the caster tearing their mouth back open.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Same level, but I'd give it some minor boost to make it competitive. Silence is already a bit of a mixed bag (disables your spellcasters, too), so it wouldn't need to be much. With the visual you're going for, it might be fun if the spell also rendered you incapable of breathing. Suffocation doesn't apply to most PC's on a combat timescale, and you could do a "save until successful" system that means it wouldn't have much of a mechanical effect (or "rip it open and deal X damage to yourself" option to end it early), but it would be properly scary in a player psychology sense. You could also have it do, like, some initial acid damage (nothing competitive with stuff like Acid Arrow, but a little jazz) and describe it as kind of...reshaping your flesh...

Imagine an enemy monk, silent and stealthy, whose palm brushes your face, deals a bit of acid damage, and suddenly you can't breathe or speak. Mechanically, maybe not a big deal. Psychologically, terrifying. And strategically, good for single-target silencing.

Remove ads