D&D 5E Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh 5e

Nebulous

Legend
So our game today will probably be delayed until Friday. I hope to finish up Part 1 of Saltmarsh, and given time constraints we might not make it to the Sea Ghost, as much as I wanted to. But i know the players will be VERY not happy with the idea of sneaking onto a pirate boat at night for not the best personal reasons other than to help the citizens of Saltmarsh, even though the boat doesn't really threaten them. And, this campaign will not continue as far as Dunwater or The Final Enemy, so plot continuity is not really important.

BUT...I do have a small problem.

8K0HWrq.png

The PCs let Sanbalet escape with his life, out in a rowboat with no food or water in the dead of night in the rough waters of a D&D ocean where really horrible things live. He really has nowhere to go but Saltmarsh 2 miles away.

So of course Sanbalet is going to row to shore as fast as he can and haul as to the town, where no one knows his face as he has never been there. He has enough gold coins in his boot to pay for food and drinks and shelter.

But...what then?

He is SO pissed at the PCs, and although there IS treasure on the 2nd floor, there's also something unpleasant he hopes will kill them all. There's also the pirate ship beacon, but it's at least a week away.

So what would Sanbalet do to possibly even the odds, get revenge, or at least lessen his own substantial losses? Instead of doing the pirate ship, following up on this logical extension of Sanbalet's escape would make more sense. Maybe when the PCs get back to the Fishbone Inn there's a message with the drunk barkeep from Sanbalet to the PCs.

"Hope you enjoy my treasure you ******* *****."

Or something something. I don't really know. What would Sanbalet's strategy be to get back into the house and be ready for the arrival of the Sea Ghost? At the very least he is going to want on board maybe? He sure doesn't want to stay in Saltmarsh. His brother is dead, his men are dead, and he's marooned 50 miles from another town.

Ackbladder

Explorer
I'd have Sanbalet try and frame the PC's as smugglers, perhaps leaving an anonymous message with the local Saltmarsh sheriff or law-enforcement that four smugglers matching their description were operating out of the abandoned house. Since his operation is busted anyway, might as well try and get his enemies blamed for it. Then, I think he'd try and find a way to warn the Sea Ghost and start looking for a new base of operations somewhere up or down the coast.

Enjoying the story and liking what you did with the bare bones of the module!

Nebulous

Legend
I'd have Sanbalet try and frame the PC's as smugglers, perhaps leaving an anonymous message with the local Saltmarsh sheriff or law-enforcement that four smugglers matching their description were operating out of the abandoned house. Since his operation is busted anyway, might as well try and get his enemies blamed for it. Then, I think he'd try and find a way to warn the Sea Ghost and start looking for a new base of operations somewhere up or down the coast.

Enjoying the story and liking what you did with the bare bones of the module!

Watch and see what happened! :)

Part 3 - Finale

https://app.box.com/s/lpvpviuaho6tcsqrs7qpeny7hylwg1fv

Last edited:

Remove ads