Level Up (A5E) Sins of the Scorpion Age, Sword and Sorcery Campaign Setting

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I do like those traits, yes.

The intention was to do up 3 positive and 3 negative, like the modern Zodiac often tries to do in an attempt to maximize on the 'Rule of Threes', but two works well.

Steampunkette

Supporter
So... while each of the regions has a primary city (Achelb, Ellenici, Grisia, Kyran, Il'sha-ah, Imba, Musarra, Neasc) They're not "Capital" Cities. We're going this old(est) school and making every most cities into their own city-states.

Il'sha-ah will be an exception with it's Phaoris ruling over both the Head and the Body, twin kingdoms along the Cobra's length.

Kyran will also be an exception because the Kyrani are not city-builders, they're travelers.

The rest will just be the Largest and/or most Prominent city-states within their region. Near to Musarra, for example, will be several rival city-states along the flood-plain of the river. Similarly, Achelb, City of Thieves, will have it's own rivals along the western river. And somewhere in the middle, between those states, will be a few other "Oasis Cities" where the Leaders control the flow of water as a means of controlling the populace.

Ellenici will have a dozen warring "Kingdoms" and probably one or two burgeoning Representative Republics, Neasc will be ruled by Princes who all claim connection to some higher authority that may or may not exist, meanwhile Imba's tribal council structure will be indicative of the way the people of the plains live: Mostly in family structures wherein the central figure is, if not family, treated as family.

So between Achelb and Musarra I've got three cities in mind.

Sepfar: An Oasis city with a predatory streak. They're raiders and slavers who try and control the region through violence. Most of their foodstuffs comes from the three oases controlled by the city's ruling class. Currently in a moderate drought, the Theocrat, Ashuro, is conducting ritual sacrifices to call down rain as the water level of the oases has dipped. The city's population of eligible sacrifices is moderately sized, but Ashuro has been sending raids for potential victims rather than putting his own people on the altar. But with fewer and fewer successful raids it is only a matter of time before Sepfari blood coats his blade.

Ondat: North of Musarra, Ondat is a smaller city-state along the river that I really need to name... Maybe Ur? Could be a neat nod to Sumeria. Anywho, the River Kingdom of Ondat is ruled by a Matriarchal structure and is currently dealing with Sepfari Raiding on the uptick as they go further out looking for people to sacrifice. Queen Adranene of Ondat is trying to build an army to strike at Sepfar, but many of the city's people have already fled to Musarra to avoid the raids, leaving Ondat woefully understaffed.

Lagan: South of Achelb, Burana is also fighting off Sepfari raids, but doing it very well thanks to a mercenary army hired from the Khufu sea. Sharrans, Achelbites, Ellenici, and Imba all protect the city of Lagan. But the cultural weight of these mercenary populations is taking it's toll on the city. And there's even rumors that when the Sepfari Threat is ended, the mercenaries intend to stay and potentially overthrow Potentate Tyar who has yet to learn his lesson and is hiring mercenaries to protect himself from that eventuality.

There'll likely also be countless encampments and villages throughout the region, many of which are fairly mobile and travel with herds of goats or other animals, ranging from the seasides in summer through the desert lands in the short winter months where the heat is more bearable.

Mostly I've been focusing on Achelb-Musarra, I admit it. Sumeria has it's fingers in my brain.

I also wanna do at least one or two Religious Sites in the region where people make pilgrimages for different religious purposes, and perhaps a few "Buried Kingdoms". But this is my starting material.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I also wanna do at least one or two Religious Sites in the region where people make pilgrimages for different religious purposes, and perhaps a few "Buried Kingdoms". But this is my starting material.
I may have something for you. It may be a nice break from desert and change it a little with...ice desert :p

The city of Inue-Peloj stands in the deep south, near where the cold deserts retreat at the sight of the crystalline glaciers. The city sits on the feet of the Winter's Daughter, a frozen mountain said to be the child of the Tempest and the Mountain from a time they still cared for one another. The first breath of winter often comes from the large valleys behind the sacred mountain as a mighty wind that howls and pierce even the finest furs.
The ever melting slopes of the mountains provide pure water collected from pilgrims to protect against the fields of grain against the harshness of winter and the dryness of the desert. A the peak of summer, the slopes reveal shiny carved structure beneath the thinning ice layer, but the passage to said structure are far to hard to reach and dangerous, so they remained a mystery.

1627648379367.png
1627648396560.png
1627648451121.png

If you know the art of Roerich, you may get my inspiration:

1627648505069.png
1627648576624.png

1627648616312.png

Steampunkette

Supporter
The green areas along the rivers, as well as near Qesh, are meant to be fertile areas. So small forests but mostly farmland/marshland due to the seasonal flooding from mountain-ice. The deltas at Abu Sadin, Lagan, Marad, and Musarra are all very heavily populated and farmed regions. Lots of irrigation, earthworks, things like that.

The areas across the desert are meant to be both rocky and sandy, but also Stepped. So there's plateaus and valleys/gorges, mostly where there -used- to be rivers, lakes, and the like. Lots of:

Saudi-Arabia-Expedition-Mountains-and-Desert-1.jpg

Slightly less sandy desert with wandering dunes, which are more the Il'sha-ah region's style.

Sepfar is going to be a Ziggurat-City built next at the center of the three oases. Each of which has earthworks build up around them to catch more water. Probably near one of the gorges of a previous river with the oases themselves part of an ancient lakebed that has long since dried up everywhere else.

GuyBoy

Hero
I’m thinking PCs recruited by agents of the Queen of Ondat to carry out a mission to counter the machinations of the Theocrat of Sepfar.

Steampunkette

Supporter
So a tiny thing I wanted to note... while on that closeup first draft of the inset map the different communities have their own icons, I went back and redid them to -not- have their own icons.

Musarra Region.png

Abu Sadin, Lagan, and Shuruta are now tied into Achelb. While Ondat, Marad, and Qesh are tied into Musarra. Sepfar is alone with it's icon.

This is meant to play into LevelUp/A5e's Renown System. Even though Marad, Ondat, and Qesh are different city-states, they're still part of Musarra's sphere of influence. So renown gained in Musarra will carry over to those outlying communities more strongly than it would to Lagan, for example.

Meanwhile Sepfar, an isolated and somewhat xenophobic raider-city whose primary interactions with outsiders are violent, might as well be it's own distant country as relates to hearing about your heroic exploits in Ondat.

Remove ads