Level Up (A5E) Sins of the Scorpion Age, Sword and Sorcery Campaign Setting

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Abu Sadin: At the river's delta and the Khufu Sea stands Abu Sadin, the Trade King's hall stands upon a raised plateau, but does not represent a true ziggurat. It is said that if there is anything in the world you wish to find, it is in Abu Sadin. Goods from the East make their way to the port of Abu for shipping across the Khufu, and from Khufu to all points East. The city would be larger, should be larger, if only by it's position at the Delta. But outside of taxes the city produces little of worth... The farmland has largely been left to the seasons and what farmers remain face great beasts in the river that the Trade King cares nothing for.

Lagan: Guarding the path from Il'sha-ah to the west, Lagan is a wealthy protectorate, indeed. A Fortress-City, well girded for war and to battle against bandits, it makes the majority of it's wealth from trade passing through the area. It is said that in the Great Hall of Records kept by the Sorcerer-Queen Annura are a thousand and one contracts with trade houses, kings, and kingdoms across the world to pass through her city. Each paid, yearly, with wealth beyond the counting of it. But no one has ever tried stealing from those caravans... or at least succeeded.

Marad: The city of Marad stands at the Delta of the river Borsai, lording over quite the fertile valley. Each summer, when the river floods from the runoff of the massive glaciers atop the high mountains to the west, the people of Marad retreat to the Zigurrat for a festival of waters that lasts five days before the last of the floodwaters recede, fully. It's plentiful grain and yearly excess of beers and spirits make it a routine target of desert bandits, and it's harvests and beers are found everywhere from Lagan to Musarra.

Qesh: Built upon a bluff at the edge of the fertile lands, it stands on the sea-route between Marad and Musarra, as the desert way is often plagued by bandits and marauders. Not much safer, thanks to sea beasts and pirates that use the Isles of Myr as a haven, Qesh yet holds a reputation as a safe harbor. In the shadow of the great Ziggurat of Qesh, much of the old city is simple sandstone brick houses built around wooden frames. The "New City of Qesh" surrounds it, a great sea of tents that swells at the start of every other summer. The city is ruled by a Priest-King named Orchamus who serves the Serpent.

Shuruta: The Jewel of the East has lost much of it's luster in recent years. The mines to the East have largely played out, the Kyrani have raided it, and many of it's people have fled to the South or West. Leaving what remains of Shuruta ill defended farmland. The Jeweled Regent yet rules over the sullen star that remains, and he seeks new cause to raise the city's fortunes. Whether he will succeed, or see the sands take his once proud kingdom into antiquity, is unknown.

Steampunkette

Supporter
So... I decided to try and get together a scale of size between the citystates. For comparison, I decided to use Riyadh and Abha as a good solid measure of distance as an idea of distance between Qesh and Sepfar.

1,002km. 622 miles. 25 days at 24 miles per day walking rate.

Ho. Lee. Crap. I keep forgetting how -huge- the world is and getting violently reminded.

Dropping that scale down to about 500 miles, so 20 days. Still huge, but easier to represent on the map scales Inkarnate uses.

GuyBoy

Hero
One argument for the bigger world is that it allows DMs to insert adventures into the “wide open spaces” that suit their campaign. Thinking Conan stumbling upon Akhlat whilst stumbling through the Red Wastes. Or indeed, any other “spider-haunted ruins!”
The distances also help mitigate against Septar conquering its weaker neighbours completely.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Annam and Scorpion.png

The Annam Desert and Scorpion Lands regions! Names pending.

Adding in the four remaining cities of the Annam, all under Il'sha-ah's rule to some level or another.

Arat-Shi, an Oasis city and the last remaining portion of the Western Kingdom. Largely exists as a waypoint between the lands of the Imba and Annam, but it's also a common launching point for expeditions into the various fallen cities and ruins of Annam.

Yutor, the Southern port city. While it's -part- of Annam, particularly the culture, it is a relatively distant and quite independent city that hasn't paid any taxes in the past several years, despite contact from Il'sha-ah.

Ipu and Sunmet are largely farming communities that support Il'sha-ah with farming and shipping it downriver to the capital, freeing Il'sha-ah's populace for manufacturing, art, and trade with the Khufu Sea region.

Also started naming the mountain ranges and came up with the thought of the Scorpion Lands as the body, with the tail and claws as the mountain ranges. Meanwhile with the Cobra River? Gotta have a Cobratail Mountain range.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Just gonna chime in now and say I love the work you guys have done here. I’ve missed a nice ride, but can I join in now?

Steampunkette

Supporter
Just gonna chime in now and say I love the work you guys have done here. I’ve missed a nice ride, but can I join in now?
Absolutely! Anyone who wants to suggest ideas should feel free to do so.

Though I will note... if I wind up publishing this material it'll be practically impossible to do any sort of compensation. Just recognition in the book itself.

Last edited:

GuyBoy

Hero
I truly hope you do publish; it’s an awesome setting.
Just to be clear, absolutely no compensation is ever required or even desired. I feel honoured to help, and, if you do publish, just to know that the footpof my sandals lies somewhere in the Scorpion Lands is enough.
Keep doing what you are doing.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Babysitting for a few hours, I'll probably start in on writing more detailed information about Annam cities A little later in the day.

I actually really like the idea that Sunmet, while a vassal state of Il'sha-ah, is basically in the hands of a tax master who steals some of Ipu's taxes to the capital and forages the documents to make it look like the southernmost city didn't make enough to cover its actual taxes and his city put enough money into the pot to cover for Ipu.

So the Phaoris thinks that Sunmet is not only paying their taxes but also Ipu's share as well, while the Tax Master pockets the difference and of course rules over his people cruelly.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Okay so... Hubby will be home soon and I just finally ended my babysitting situation. So I probably won't get to put much to paper, tonight. But I do want to make some notes, yet, before he gets here and we spend the evening playing videogames together and being ridiculously cute and smoochy.

1) I need to work on Organizations in the world. I was thinking a Secret-Keepers group in Annam who may or may not know what brought on the Serpent's and Tempest's curses down onto the nation. Probably antagonistic to relic hunters out of Arat-shi but not exactly -evil- in nature. Similarly I was thinking of at least one "Legendary Band of Thieves" out in the Scorpion Lands somewhere. Plus I've gotta stat out Moadi's Hammer and work up at least two separate groups of piratical peeps both in the Khufu sea and south of Musarra.

2) Mummy Based Warlock Pact. I know, kinda cheesy, bit if people can make Vampire Patrons I can figure out how to do a halfway decent Mummy Patron. Maybe something with a Pact of the Ring or Bracelet option, too, as an interesting twist for class options. Not 100% sure on this one.

3) Heroic figures. Mostly from the past, but I definitely need more of them to create magic items that they totally probably used in their lives. Things like Isra's Blade or Ukada's Horn.

Hubby home! Talk later!

Remove ads