• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Six Nights to Yearsend (Ptolus, Kareus' Solo Adventure)

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
As you walk out of the bar you notice one last oddity: floating high above the center of the main floor is a three-foot wide crystal sphere with a black onyx spider statuette; the namesake of the bar.

Shortly afterwards, Elias Gregor enters Danbury's and in a short time notices by both the decor and patrons that this bar seems to cater to those involved in the arcane. Hung on the walls are multiple portraits of robed figures casting spells are animated and show moving scenes. A dwarf cleans mugs by the bar, with several robed patrons picking at sandwiches and soups. As you walk further in, several sculpted clay faces float past you singing songs in elven. You check your money pouch as you realize this place might be a bit expensive.

One bald and goateed man in red robes and with piercing eyes regards you as you enter with particular interest and smiles in a friendly manner as you pass.

wysiwyg

First Post
Intuitively feeling the hairs on the back of his neck rise, Kareus sits down by a small table, keeping the red robbed man in his peripheral sight. When a waiter approaches, Kareus will speak softly so as not to be overheard. "Tell me my good man, this gentlemen over there in the red robes, I'm sure I know him but I can't recall anything about him. Who is he?"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The dwarf at the bar looks to where you are pointing and answers, "Hmmm... oh, that gentleman is Arkhall Vaugn, a wizard of no small ability. He is the magical advisor to House Balacazar although he likes to flaunt his own popularity when able. If he takes a fancy to you, he'll no doubt be happy to get you a drink."

wysiwyg

First Post
House Balacazar! Arkhall Vaugn! Now I’m deep in it. Especially since he’s a popularity seeker. How do I get out of this mess? I desperate plan begins to ferment itself. Calling the waiter over, he speaks softly, “Of course, now I remember him. He played a great practical joke on me once, and I’d like to pay him back for it. Listen, I’m going to order a series of drinks for the two of us. Make them all doubles. However, make sure that mine contains no alcohol, whereas make his the most potent that you have. And here’s a shiny gold one for your efforts my good man, sorry dwarf.”

Making his way over to Arkhall’s table, Kareus has a glowing incredulous look on his face: “Are you not the great and famous archmage Vaugn? I can’t believe my own eyes! Sir, it would do me the greatest of honours if you would give me the privilege of buying you a round of drinks, and I will not take no for an answer.” Sitting himself down without waiting for a response, Kareus calls out: “Waiter, over here, a round for the two of us please.” Addressing Arkhall he begs: “I beg you, to tell me of your latest fantastic exploits”.
OOC: Bluff +17, Diplomacy +16

A soon as the drinks arrive, Kareus will lift his own “bottom’s up”. A minute later he will order the next round...and the next..and the next.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Arkhall welcomes you to the table with a smile, and sniffs at the drink that is brought. "Tapis Beer? Excellent. I saw you come in and you looked to be an interesting visitor to this wonderful establishment. I never forget a face, and you my friend are new to this bar. Are you a travelling merchant of some sort or are you a practitioner of the magical arts? I'm always looking for a willing pupil. As for exploits, there aren't much to tell. Mostly I've been doing all sorts of clerical work such as handling the House Balacazar finances. We've been suffering from some... competition of late and money is just a slight bit tighter than usual."

wysiwyg

First Post
"A practitioner, heavens no! Just a middle merchant who dabbles in furs and livestock I'm afraid. Lost many a cattle this winter due to lung-rot, so I'll be looking for a different source of income in the future."
Kareus makes casual talk with Arkhall, trying to sniff if he's sincere about his interest in new faces or is there something he's hiding. OOC: Sense Motive +8.
After a while, Kareus asks: "So who's the big bad wolf competition you mentioned?"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Arkhall ponders your question for a moment, and seems to be thinking about what and how much he wishes to say. Finally he smiles again and says, "It has never been boring to work for the Balacazar family, as they have had the will and the strength to make their influence grow throughout the parts of the city that administrators normally care little for. We've made quite a bit of money from these activities, but lately a woman named Kevris Killraven has built an organization that rivals our own. Kevris' men like to make a tidy profit, as do our own, so when certain opportunities for making a fast coin are revealed you can bet both organizations will have trouble reigning in some of the hotheads. For instance, take this bounty for the surviving murderers of the Knights of the Golden Cross. Some of our boys are talking about trying to collect on that kind of money, but I wouldn't doubt that Kevris has the same problems with her own people. If we do not maintain a tight grip on our employees this conflict could escalate into bloodshed. But that's where I come in, as I myself am a powerful man..." The red-robed man smiles at you when he says this and reaches over to place his hand affectionately over your own. You try not to blanch as you realize you don't need your sense motive skills to see his interest in you, but then he draws his hand quickly away from your own.

"Strange," he murmurs, then says a few arcane words and twirls his fingers. He looks closely at you and leans back warily in his chair. "An illusion? You are not what you appear." He begins to wave his hands again.

wysiwyg

First Post
Kareus desperately tries to foil the next spell. In one motion he swiftly trips the mage's chair backwards while flipping the table over the mage trying to knock the wind out of him.
No doubt the crime syndicate member has recognised who I am. He will not let go until he has me. That means that only one of us will leave here alive – hopefully me.
In the following round, as the mage will try to rise, Kareus will draw his swords and attack.

OOC: Initiative: +6. Short-swords (+14/+14/+14/+14/+9, 1d6+2, 19-20/x2). Improved feint attempt: Bluff +17. If successful an additional 4d6 damage per attack and loss of dexterity. PS: Don’t forget that spell casting grants an AoO. Needless to say, I’m using my boots of speed for this encounter.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Arkhall completes the spell and in an instant you feel the glamer from your hat of disguise weaken and then drop. "Now that's interesting. It would appear that you're..."

The wizard's sneer is removed from his face as you sweep his chair, causing him to fall onto his back and making the table you are standing at upturn. In the next instant you are on him with both blades, drawing blood along four cuts that you give him. The wizard attempts to cast another spell, but you hit him once more and it fizzles. In the next few seconds you attack once more like a whirlwind, and the last two strikes of your blades find his throat. Arkhall gurgles in surprise as crimson fluid rushes to his mouth and he falls, dead.

No one moves in the bar, as the patrons just stare at you in shocked surprise. Finally, one robed man says to his companion in shock, "He murdered him. Didn't even give Arkhall the chance to defend himself."

Remove ads