• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Size limits on forced movement of enemies?

Many powers allow PCs to move enemies about the battlefield. Some appear to have size limits, e.g. Tide of Iron (Fighter At-Will 1). But a few, such as quite a few of the rogue powers (e.g Positioning Strike, Trick Strike, Deadly Positioning), do not.
As has been pointed out, powers which are obviously based on physical force tend to be limited by size, in an ideal world, if the power isn't limited, that means it's not based on physical force. Unfortunately, I believe this is rule is broken regularly, certainly not all monster powers follow this.
Last session our rogue threatened to use Bait and Switch on a gelatinous cube that was blocking the corridor. So we have the absurd scenario of a 150 lb rogue stabbing 1000 cubic feet of jelly with his dagger and swapping places with it. Unsurprisingly, the DM said "er, no". But try as we might, we couldn't find any rules which said you can't move a 2-tonne lump of jelly with a 3rd-level encounter power.

Cheers, Al'Kelhar
Actually, I'm very suprised.

It's a vs will attack which specifically describes that it works in a non-physical force way, I would allow that to work in that situation without even thinking about it. If I was far more detail orientated and was running a grittier game, I'd suggest some acid damage (not that I'd use 4e or a frikken gelatinous cube for a more gritty serious game anyway, but that's not really the point) but I'd never disallow it, and I'd probably get quite annoyed at any GM who did.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads