• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skeletons and the Need for Bludgeoning Weapons

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
OR...or...just thinkin'/typin' out loud here...

We do away completely with DR and "weapon damage types/slahing/piercing/bludgeoning" entirely in the new game?

You roll. You hit? Roll damage. Done.

<dives under the desk and waits for the world to come crashing down upon his ears and..er...eyes>
:lol:

--SD

Celebrim

Legend
3.0 had it half damage from non-bludgeoning weapons. Slashing attacks were still effective, but not as effective. 3.5 had the problem of trying to make DR too unified of a mechanic. 5e would in theory handle this better by just giving advantage or disadvantage against certain kinds of damage.

I personally think DR is great when used appropriately, but the biggest problem with it in 3.X is that it scaled up too much. I'd much rather see DR X/5 than DR X/10 or D X/30.

I tend to scale up 'by 5's' rather than 'by 10's', and I retain the 3.0 DR +1/5, +2/10, +3/15, etc. rather than 3.5's toolbox approach of something like DR 30/magic and good.

Personally, I feel that Skeletons should be vulnerable to Otto's Irresistible Dance.

I am less sure about any of the other questions, although I admit to liking the simplicity of a high hit point total, and "Vulnerability 5 (Bludgeoning)".

Remove ads