D&D 5E Skills and Ability Checks -- Perspective on Consistency vs DM Empowerment

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
As for stationary he did it with moving targets and him moving too and he did show that the impact of the shots were within reason for a time with little available in armor or something approaching light chain. (this with the 3 shots in under 2 seconds). I think if 10 shots is doable it might be a set up your load once at the beginning of the fight.

As I said it looks like the mechanics in the 4e game for the Hunters Volley and Rangers are similar with one being a Paragon Robinhood caliber character

You are intent on the idea that martial types be small and realistic box while wizards exceed the capabilities of the greatest of mythology (except maybe Tuatha De Danann who only get close).
You have a link to that?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You have a link to that?
Youtube Lars Anderson archery actually quite a few videos some few with him doing rolls and firing in the middle of them others with a target on a rope and firing at different parts of the swing at fairly hard to predict swing points, some talking about where the inspiration for it is from but I have to start getting ready either for work or to call in sick nasty cold is choking me... badly and Garthanos feels death saves coming on.

Oofta

Legend
Yup the 4e ability is more realistic than the 5e one... isn't that just yummy.
LOL. Again, toy bows with minimal draw weight do not compare to real life. Real longbows probably had an average 150 pound draw weight, more than 3 times the effort to pull as the people doing trick shots.

A real world estimate is that a well trained longbow archer could fire 10-12 arrows per minute. On the other hand I don't really expect D&D to be that great at modeling the real world. Reality starts as a basis from a visual perspective but that's all. We have the jump distance max we have because the math is easy. Hand crossbows are reasonably effective instead of toys because they look cool. Long swords are as common as they are because they're awesome. And so on.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
LOL. Again, toy bows with minimal draw weight do not compare to real life.
Sorry native americans shot down buffalo with quite light bows. I have a museum with them about half a mile from my house and its one of the source of legends about multi-fire mastery.

Damn nasty big assed beast killed with a toy bow.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
A real world estimate is that a well trained longbow archer could fire 10-12 arrows per minute.
Have someone firing an actual Arch where they arent under too much threat doing full draw yes that is a good estimate for how the bow was used in european battle and it matches closer to my ability than someone heroic though. call it level 3 ability.

And yes the reason the heroic caliber one is doing more realistic and the paragon one in game is doing a Hiawatha legend maneuvers its called fun. I agree

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Sorry native americans shot down buffalo with quite light bows. I have a museum with them about half a mile from my house and its one of the source of legends about multi-fire mastery.

Damn nasty big assed beast killed with a toy boy.
Native American bows were in the 45-80 pound range and were sufficient at the upper end for taking buffalo. The English, though, needed 100-180 pound pulls, because they dealt with armor.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Native American bows were in the 45-80 pound range and were sufficient at the upper end for taking buffalo. The English, though, needed 100-180 pound pulls, because they dealt with armor.
Yup and the guys on the Russian Steppes similarly didnt have much heavy armor to deal with both cases where the stories of rapid fire techniques come from... The volley in the 4e ability is attacks with both penalties on to hit -2 and significantly reduced damage (no attribute bonus that is quite a bit of debuffing) .
What you might say makes it very much fantasy and heroic is that it isnt restricted to a weapon type and as I mentioned you could theoretically be using it round after round . D&D also doesnt do armor as damage resistance real life well lets just say it might be a better model.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It was fun to watch, but I'm not terribly impressed. The vast majority of his shots were at super close range and there wasn't much power there. Speed yes, power no. He also cut a lot, so you can't tell how many times he might have tried those shots before getting the ones he posted.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It was fun to watch, but I'm not terribly impressed. The vast majority of his shots were at super close range and there wasn't much power there.
He showed some in one video with fair range. Typical fire fights in modern times are closer to dungeon crawl ranges.... lol 50 feet is quite good enough. I think multiple shots in fast succession might be very hard to avoid and yes he could be making his accuracy deceptive.
And yes mostly just fun, I think the biggest kicker is we have no idea how long he took to get the 10 arrows in hand either like I mentioned if it takes you decent time to load up you are doing a barrage one time at the beginning of the fight ... A 4e encounter power perhaps.
Start the fight with a barrage then do 3 per round either using more normal attack methods or as rapid fire with a longer reload (and the 3 shots were almost always where he did demonstrate significant accuracy ... the 10 shots were but he does demo 3 a lot more often) .

Shrug its like D&D mostly just fun and I would say like Hiawatha stories or speculating about those who claimed to do the fast fire with heavier bows back when... Or impossible Robinhood physics bending arrow splitting. Heck that is the point of archery of legend and myth seems to be impossible trick shots.

Last edited:

Remove ads