skills questions

Fingol

First Post
1) how many ranks in craft black smithing would you expect someone to have that creates iron buckets (or other typical items) for a living?
2) how many ranks in craft black smithing would you expect someone to have that creates bells (or other high quality items) for a living?

Thanks

Henry

Autoexreginated
Fingol said:
1) how many ranks in craft black smithing would you expect someone to have that creates iron buckets (or other typical items) for a living?
2) how many ranks in craft black smithing would you expect someone to have that creates bells (or other high quality items) for a living?

Thanks

I would expect them to max out their ranks if it's their livlihood. For typical items, the check is DC 10, which, frankly, could be made by taking 10. If they are apprentice or journeymen, then somewhere between 1 and 4 ranks. If they are the head of the shop, I'd say max ranks (4 or 5 if 1st or 2nd level) and if they are really good, then add skill focus(craft) which gives them, on average, a +9 to +11 in their skill at 1st or 2nd level.

Crothian

First Post
Not only wqould I expect max ranks fgor their level, I'd also expect them to have skill focue in the skill as well.

Fingol

First Post
Henry said:
I would expect them to max out their ranks if it's their livlihood. For typical items, the check is DC 10, which, frankly, could be made by taking 10. If they are apprentice or journeymen, then somewhere between 1 and 4 ranks. If they are the head of the shop, I'd say max ranks (4 or 5 if 1st or 2nd level) and if they are really good, then add skill focus(craft) which gives them, on average, a +9 to +11 in their skill at 1st or 2nd level.

thanks; particularly had not thought about taking ten.

just a follow on question as I reread the skill:
As a someone practicing their trade they can earn half their check in gold. With taking 10 and one rank and no other mods a person would make 5.5 gp a week. That is more than five times what an untrained person would make (on 1 silver a day). Does that seem right? Not asking from a moral point of view; more from a "game world building" one.

Crothian

First Post
Yes, it does. Trained work usually pays more then untrained. Also, there are probalby expeses for the preson with the training like owning his own shop, workplace, tools of the trade, paying for raw materials, etc.

S'mon

Legend
Each 4 ranks or maxed if over 1st level, but the 2nd guy would have a skill focus feat and a +2 stat mod as well, for total +9 or more to the first guy's +4.

S'mon

Legend
Fingol said:
just a follow on question as I reread the skill:
As a someone practicing their trade they can earn half their check in gold. With taking 10 and one rank and no other mods a person would make 5.5 gp a week. That is more than five times what an untrained person would make (on 1 silver a day). Does that seem right? Not asking from a moral point of view; more from a "game world building" one.

No, the rule makes no sense from a game-world building POV, it's just a quick guideline for when PCs make stuff.

Starglim

Explorer
Crothian said:
Not only wqould I expect max ranks fgor their level, I'd also expect them to have skill focue in the skill as well.

That's the default answer for a dedicated craftsman.

It's worth remembering that Experts are people also. Any particular smith might have a different feat than Skill Focus, or a Craft skill below his maximum, due to facts in his background or circumstances that have little to do with blacksmithing. That might be perfectly adequate for the bucket-mender who seldom needs to meet even a DC 15, or to make anything costly enough to need more than a week's work (10 gp or so).

Silveras

First Post
Actually, I would expect the answer in all cases to be "maxed out skill ranks", because the higher your roll, the faster you make items. Progress is measured as the overall roll x the DC, after all.

I like using the Unearthed Arcana skill points variant. It includes Feats geared around crafting, like 'Craft Masterwork Item'. Without the appropriate feat, a creature cannot make Masterwork items. This means that:
  • the PCs are not going to be almost always better than the dedicated crafter
  • there is a mechanical separation between Master craftsmen and apprentices

Remove ads