Skin Deep

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Anaerion's arrows smash unerringly home exploding the Plague Water into shards of bone and detritus.

Leopold feels warmth wash over him and instantly feels some of his strength stolen away by the disease as his joints begin to ache and his skin reddens in seconds!

[sblock=HolyMan]Take 4 Strength damage, count as having a disease with instant onset, a heal check will tell you about the disease as normal, etc.[/sblock]

Seeing their foes dispatched Javi reaches beckons the group onwards.

"Right follow me, now I'll warn you we've not used this route before. We are getting ready to abandon the city truth be told, and we just can't risk our regular routes - walls have eyes and all that. We might need to disturb a few tombs, we're cutting through the crypts of the nobility that was..."

Once you are ready to follow the old beggar leads you through a series of twist and turns occasionally consulting a grubby strip of parchment. Soon the walls change from stone to tightly packed bone optimistically "cemented" together with what appears to be gritty sand and supported by thick but ancient wooden braces. The crunch of brittle bone underfoot quickly becomes familiar.

After nearly fifteen minutes of this you arrive at a large chamber containing three statues positioned to either side of and between two grand carved doorways.

The statues depict a three men, one being devoured by a serpent, one being constricted by a serpent, and one slaying a serpent in mid strike. All three men depicted resemble one another save for their ages - youngest to your left, oldest to your right - handsome with sharp regal features and dressed in nothing but loin clothes.

[sblock=Checks]You may roll any of Knowledge History, Knowledge Nobility, Knowledge Religion, or knowledge Local. Let me know if you do not wish to share the info with the group, otherwise I'll put it up in an sblock.[/sblock]

Above each door in ornate script is carved a single word, Strength to the left, Wisdom to the right.

Javi gives you a worried look scratching at a tumor and scowling. "Ah, we just need to cut straight through here, but ah, its just blank on the map. I'll follow your lead."

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Good that we can stop for a moment, I need to pray to Torma and get rid this filth." he says finding a spot away from the doorways.

He takes his sword out and puts it point down on the floor. Then taking to a knee he leans forward placing his head on the hilt and closes his eyes.

The others notice that Leopold's face has a calm expression about it. At least calmer than his normal frown or scowl that is.

[sblock=OOC]Ok if Leopold takes 15 minutes to prepare a Remove Disease from his open slot? [/sblock][sblock=Spells]

Orisons: 4+0 - Detect Poison, Purify Food and Drink, Resistance, Create Water
1st lvl: 4+1 - Bless Water, Cure Light(d8+5), Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith d: Magic Weapon
2nd lvl: 3+1 - Bull's Strength, Remove Paralysis, OPEN SLOT d: Spiritual Weapon
3rd lvl: 2+1 - Searing Light, OPEN SLOT d: Magic Vestment [/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Ciperel der Prad'm, human oracle

Ciperel looks about the room, taking in the sight of the statues. He bites his lower lip a moment, and as often happens when he's distracted, his feet lift a few inches off the ground as he thinks.

OOC: ETA: Ciperel will share whatever he gleans with the others

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Ciperel recalls that a serpent god named Shalath used to be a major deity within what is now Heth. Shalath's followers were ruled over by snake men who acted as her priests. Shalath's worship has largely disappeared in the last few centuries.

kinem

Adventurer
"I hope you'll soon be healthy as ever" Skendra tells Leopold.

"I don't know anything about this snake stuff, but if this was a shrine to a snake god, maybe we should avoid the snake-slaying statue. Or maybe it was made by their enemies. The words might make more sense that way. Opposite, then."

He casts detect magic, looking for any lingering auras.

Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
Anaerion looks at the statures with interest now, as though the thing was a giant puzzle. He starts examining the statues carefully, looking for any clues that might be left there.

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
[sblock=Remove Disease]Assuming you choose to cast it now you need to give me a caster level check, you will still have the strength damage, but would be cured.[/sblock]

Skendra detect an array of auras, the strongest being of moderate strength, both upon the statues and coming from the rooms beyond. It might be possible to discern more with some skillful spellcrafting.

[sblock=Spellcraft]5 different auras, three moderate, two faint.[/sblock]

Anaerion's perception fails to tell him anything of further note about the statues themselves, but he does notice that the various light sources do not seem to penetrate as far as they should through either portal, even keen elven vision sees no further than the ten feet of bare stone floor illuminated within each.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Leopold continues to pray and a small halo of light appears around the man. He doesn't move as the magic of his great goddess washes him clean of the filth that infected him.

[sblock=OOC]Sounds right I just didn't want any after effects. Will have to wait to take lesser restoration on the next day. [/sblock]

[sblock=Spells]

Orisons: 4+0 - Detect Poison, Purify Food and Drink, Resistance, Create Water
1st lvl: 4+1 - Bless Water, Cure Light(d8+5), Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith d: Magic Weapon
2nd lvl: 3+1 - Bull's Strength, Remove Paralysis, OPEN SLOT d: Spiritual Weapon
3rd lvl: 2+1 - Searing Light, OPEN SLOT d: Magic Vestment [/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Ciperel der Prad'm

[sblock=Remove Disease]Assuming you choose to cast it now you need to give me a caster level check, you will still have the strength damage, but would be cured.[/sblock]

Skendra detect an array of auras, the strongest being of moderate strength, both upon the statues and coming from the rooms beyond. It might be possible to discern more with some skillful spellcrafting.

[sblock=Spellcraft]5 different auras, three moderate, two faint.[/sblock]

Anaerion's perception fails to tell him anything of further note about the statues themselves, but he does notice that the various light sources do not seem to penetrate as far as they should through either portal, even keen elven vision sees no further than the ten feet of bare stone floor illuminated within each.

Ciperel frowns. His knowledge of the snake god isn't enough to tell him if Wisdom or Strength might be its favored attribute, but at least he can try to do something about the problematic torches.

Holding his palm upward, he whispers until the birthmark opon it begins to glow. The glowing spiral rises, becoming a small vortex, then shoots forward into the mouth of the hallway on the left. If that serves to banish some of the darkness, he repeats the process with the other.

OOC: Casting Light, which should counter a normal Darkness spell if that's what this is.

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
[sblock=Light]Not unless that Darkness spell was a cantrip or lower jkason. ;)[/sblock]

Ciperel's cantrips clearly have no effect against the ancient magics in play.

Remove ads