Skin Deep

jkason

First Post
Ciperel der Prad'm

[sblock=Behind the veil]
OOC: ugh. I'm horrible with both tactics and 'unwinnable' scenarios... :p

Okay, I'm going to make an assumption or two which may just get me into trouble, but I'd rather assume too much and let everyone else get back to playing than have too many rounds of question and answer while everyone has to twiddle their thumbs.

"One thousand is a frightening sum for men, but a handful of sand to the stars and the ages," Ciperel says within whatever new vision he's entered.

"That said, Gahreen lies next to our path of retreat, and there's no reason those men and women shouldn't have the same choice we do: flee or fight. Send our fastest runners to the city with word of our retreat. Tell them the city's as good as fallen, but some of its people may yet live. Those who wish to join us must meet us here--" he points to a spot where the line of retreat would bring the army closest to the city. "They must know they will be pressed to service, but they will be fighting for their freedom should we succeed in our bid to retreat. Those who wish to flee on their own are welcome to, as well, though they should know they can count on no aid from a single man in our service. They will likely serve to distract some portion of the eastern forces, but that's a choice they will have made for themselves."

He looks up to the spectre then, uncertain of his choice but resigned to having made it.[/sblock]

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
[sblock=Ciperel]
The ghostly figure nods as the scene around you begins to fade away to blackness,

"The curse of a leader is often to know the consequences of their choices, it is the mark of a man to live with them and forge his own path to victory."

Darkness.....

Then light begins to pierce the inky blackness, the wan gray light of dusk and all around you screams of pure terror. You stand amidst a small knot of lightly armed warriors watching as the force of cavalry defending the woman and children break and begin fleeing in terror before a massive serpent that must be twenty five feet long! The creature is accompanied by a small force of snakemen with a larger force of enemy cultists only minutes behind this swifter strike force.

"My Lord we must abandon the refugees to their fates, we cannot risk you now victory is within our grasp!" The hard faced man from before says from your side, he is covered in gore and a broken arrow juts from his shoulder.

"My lord we cannot abandon them, if we can but slay the serpent the cavalry will surely rally to you!" The other man who spoke in the pavilion says. "We can take the serpent men my lord, but only a true hero could hope to face that beast..."

The ghostly figure of Ravran Ziere rises from the ground before you looking solemn, "Know that the consequences of your actions will be real. The Serpent is no illusion, and hundreds of people from the city above will perish should you choose to safeguard your self. Choose."[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Ciperel der Prad'm, human oracle

[sblock=Sorry, guys! Trying to get through this quickly...]Ciperel glances to the shade, then quietly looks down at his own hands....

OOC: Okay, it might seem like metagaming, but it's Ciperel metagaming, not me: he's trying to determine what age this illusion body is. If it's the right age to fit the statue of the man slaying the serpent, he'll press his attack. If it isn't, he'll retreat.

On a sort of related note, since the shade said 'this is real,' if Ciperel discovers he's actually *himself*, He'll throw a hypnotic pattern at the serpent. Remember that his oracle feature makes the serpent an effective 5HD fewer for purposes of determining effects
[/sblock]

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Those in the hall way suddenly see a ghostly figure step from the darkness, he is nearly identical to the eldest statue - Ravran Ziere.

"If you would risk your lives for your Master you may go to his aide, inspiring loyalty is as much a part of leadership as courage, valor, or wisdom. Step forward if this man is worthy else let him succeed or fail alone. He shall never know you were offered a choice if you choose to stay your hands." The ghostly figure intones, "If you would come to his aide step into the darkness."

[sblock=Ciperel]
The spell has no effect upon the great snake, which does not appear to even notice the whirling colors.[/sblock]

OOC: Roll Initiative please - any who step into the darkness and Ciperel. Hypnotic pattern effectively occurs in a surprise round. I'm not entirely comfortable NPCing half the party and HolyMan is supposed to be back on Tuesday - not sure when Padreigh is due back - so things will probably remain slow at least until HM returns.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
*Screech*

The sound of Leopold drawing his sword echoes through the halls. The holy warrior immediately steps forward disappearing into the darkness.

OOC: Let's roll then.

kinem

Adventurer
"We serve no master" Skendra says "but if our friend who went in needs help, we'll help."

He draws his morningstar as he follows into the darkness.

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
The ghostly figure gives no sign of having heard your words.

As you step forward the darkness brightens painfully to a desert sun. Behind you screams of terror from women and children pierce the air, to the fore you see Ciperel standing before an enormous serpent, while some hundred feet off to either side lightly armored Hethi battle with Serpentmen.

[sblock=Map]Won't be up for a few hours. Ciperel is 30 feet from a large sized snake, the others are 60 feet from the snake. There are no significant obstacles.[/sblock]

Remove ads