D&D 5E Slaves - what they cost and why it matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

aco175

Legend
I was just thinking back to 2017 when this thread started. First I though about how much better life was before the Covid problems and then all the inflation we have now. With the value of the Dollar dropping slaves would be almost twice what the thread first thought. Of course the D&D tables have not really changed in 40 years so I can still buy a dagger for 2gp instead of 12gp.

NotAYakk

Legend
The yield of an enslaved person is going to be less than a free person, or the cost to get that yield will be higher (in terms of supervision).

Prior to the current era, people spent a good 50% of their income on food. You can give slaves worse food, but that will be another reason to reduce yield.

At 10 slaves per supervisor, 25% less productivity per slave than the equivalent free person, free supervisor earning 2x what a free person who did the slaves jobs would do (the more skilled the slave, the more skilled the supervisor), and 50% support costs (feeding, shelter, etc) on the slaves, and a 15% per year return on investment (this 15% factor includes slave death, escape, legal issues like a baron taking your assets, etc).

2 sp/day free job produces 0.75 sp/day of value.
0.4 sp/day for the supervisor leaves 0.35 sp/day profit from the slave.
127.75 sp per year or 12 gp per year profit.
At 15% ROI that is 80 gp for a 2 sp labourer slave, or 400x multiplier on the 'free job' equivalent labour.

2 sp is for a healthy unskilled worker. A slave in worse shape will have a much lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads