• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Slotted equipment

Uber Dungeon

First Post
I've been messing around with the idea of Slotted Equipment.
For example; a Bastard sword with 2 Slots. Each one can have a magic gem inserted into a slot.
Fire Ruby; Adds 1d6 fire damage.
Brilliant Fire Gem; Adds +1d10 fire damage on critical hits
Sharp Shard; Adds Keen effect
Shocking Ember; adds 1d6 lightening damage
Brilliant Shocking Ember; Adds +1d10 lightening damage on critical hits
basically a weapon with 2 slots could have 2 of these jems and there effects grafted to the weapon.

And i was just thinking, there has to be someone else who has come up with a system like this. I don't think the concept of slotted gear is a particularly unknown one. So does anyone know where i could find a slotted system for D&D 3.5 before i go through the trouble of making one?

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I don't about this specifically, but a "augment crystals" (in MIC) are kind of a similar idea-- except that system assumes every weapon automatically has just one "slot", so only one crystal per weapon. The weakest crystals can stick to any masterwork or better weapon, while more powerful crystals can only stick to more powerful weapons.

Anyway, might be something to look at.

This is an especially nice idea for characters who like the idea of a weapon or armor that's been passed down from a previous generation. You can make it your own but keep the RP aspect of it.

This kinda sounds like something that was in Final Fantasy VII on the Playstation, about a decade ago. The weapons in that game had slots for "materia" crystals that gave the weapon different powers that the wilder could use. Everything from healing and resurrection to monster summoning and meteor swarm. I've always liked the idea, but I don't have a good way to implement it in 3.x.

One thing I really liked about it was that the "materia" crystals could gain levels, too. Actually, getting a share of XP (or something similar), the more they were used. And, the more XP they got, the more powerful they became. When they were powerful enough, they "gave birth" to a new crystal (at least I think they did... it's been ages since I actually played that game).

DumbPaladin

First Post
One thing I really liked about it was that the "materia" crystals could gain levels, too. Actually, getting a share of XP (or something similar), the more they were used. And, the more XP they got, the more powerful they became. When they were powerful enough, they "gave birth" to a new crystal (at least I think they did... it's been ages since I actually played that game).

Yup ... I think when your Materia got to a 'master' level, or something along those lines, they'd spawn a new level 1 one. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads