D&D 5E Slow Natural Healing in actual play

If you want to encourage the players to be more cautious and conservative in using resources, then altering rest rules won't help too much.

I recommend cutting exp rewards from killing monsters by seventy five to ninety percent while giving huge exp rewards for completing quests/objectives.
I would also consider giving quests strict time limits to complete. That means you will have to fail them if they rest too much or take too much time.

Then the optimal way would be to avoid unnecessary combat and carefully manage resources.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Yeah. I'm not really sure what problem the Slow Healing variant is meant to solve. I think it fails on the goal of making players more cautious or plan more (outside of planning how to get around slow healing). Maybe it makes some folks feel like recovery is more "realistic," but I think this is greatly outweighed by the impact to the play experience as described by the posters in this thread.

The question still remains, what is the goal that is trying to be achieved and what variant rule or house rule could be used to make that happen?

One problem it might solve, rather boringly, is the “overnight zero to hero” problem that some people have perceived in D&D since 3e - namely, the 1st level green adventurer who in-game is barely able to put down goblins in January, but is taking on an avatar of Demogorgon by late February, by virtue of scenarios that offer very little time progression in between challenges. However, there are other ways to solve this, via pacing and restructuring adventures so that there are “seasons” between short campaign arcs to slow the progression of time.

(I almost wish D&D had a leveling and downtime system that more resembled something like the “winter phase” from the Pendragon RPG, with leveling tied to downtime, and adventures being something acute and immediate that interrupted the leveling up, instead of the other way around.)

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
I will admit that pne of the goid thing abput forums is experiencing different paradigms.

I dont think i can recall any time where players in games i GM or played in where an 8 hour rest in "a dungeon" (or analog to any uncontrolled hostile situation) would be attempted.

Even if they/we had some form of cover like spells for huts or whatever, it would have been rare that we wpuld think in an already active situation we would have the time and the enemy so few options that we would see it as a successful path.

One of our tangential groups was very much into the 5 Minute Workday back in the 3e era. They would constantly rest, either by fortifying their positions with spells or by retreating, resting and returning. It was way overkill for most of the challenges, which the DM ended up making tougher as the campaign went on. It was a pointless arms race. I only occasionally played in that game and didn't much care for it.

In our current groups, three campaigns with three DMs, we all favor extremely large 'realistic' dungeon complexes that are sparsely populated. Monsters and encounters can be hundreds or thousands of feet away from each other rather than right next door. Wandering monsters, exist, but there is a lot of potential room to set up an ad hoc camp to believably grab a rest. Spells, such as Leomund's Tiny Hut, can also make this pretty easy.

One DM tends to mitigate this urge with adventure-specific time factors (the curse in the castle is getting worse, the volcano is getting ready to explode, the demon lord is doing nefarious things). This works occasionally, but there's often an odd tension. He creates a large meticulous dungeon for us to explore, but then pushes us to not explore by emphasizing the time limit ("Do we have time to investigate this room?" "Sure, the demon lord won't complete the ritual for 40 minutes, we've got plenty of time to save the town").

I tend to favor dynamic situations with a rival or enemy force in the same area at cross-purposes with the party. That usually keeps things moving. I rarely use dungeon exploration as an activity in my games, barring as a location for a quest MacGuffin that must be found or as an attrition gauntlet that must be passed through (like the Mines of Moria).

Back on the subject of Slow Natural Healing, and player psychology, I do think the lack of comprehensive retreat rules in D&D play a part in players wanting to be at full hp at the start of every engagement and doing whatever it takes to achieve that. Once a combat has started it's almost impossible to get away from it without being severely punished. Starting at, say, half hp already strips away a 1-2 round buffer to get things done. At half hp and a couple of bad rolls you're looking at PCs on the ground. Once that happens, the chances of a TPK increase significantly. Combat is usually an all-or-nothing affair and once the PCs are 'pot-committed' by losing a ton of hp, using a bunch of spells or having downed PCs in irretrievable positions, it's often hard for them to choose to take the punishment of retreat round OAs (and possible chase) just to forfeit all that for no gain. A lot of players will just roll the dice, hope for a hot streak, and fight on to a TPK.

A lot of the above is predicated on the DM's style. The DM decides the ease of which combat can be avoiding in the first place and the ease at which it can be retreated from. If the DM gives players options and opportunities in both these areas, adventuring at less than full resources becomes more enjoyable and less of a unfair death crawl. Riskier, certainly, but doable for the clever and the bold.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
One problem it might solve, rather boringly, is the “overnight zero to hero” problem that some people have perceived in D&D since 3e - namely, the 1st level green adventurer who in-game is barely able to put down goblins in January, but is taking on an avatar of Demogorgon by late February, by virtue of scenarios that offer very little time progression in between challenges. However, there are other ways to solve this, via pacing and restructuring adventures so that there are “seasons” between short campaign arcs to slow the progression of time.

(I almost wish D&D had a leveling and downtime system that more resembled something like the “winter phase” from the Pendragon RPG, with leveling tied to downtime, and adventures being something acute and immediate that interrupted the leveling up, instead of the other way around.)

Possibly. I think your solution of pacing and restructuring adventures is a better tool, of course, to solve this issue for those that have it.

5ekyu

Hero

The key is this... Slow natural healing alone does not dramatically alter adventure rate for a party that "thinks strategically."

A party that has one (more likely two) clerics or other healer types simply heals up thru spells in their first or second day in safety.

This is the point i an others have observed.

The most recent recount of game was no magic healing. The video game did not mention ready on hand other healing.

The elimination or exaggeration of downside/unfun for ,rest based healing simply put more campaign pressure and weight onto magical healing.

So the "do i take fighter or combat focused cleric" becomes a real easy "strategic" choice.

Part of the quicker non-magic healing benefit is it reduces the demand for clerics and other types to only use healing spells and if slots are available to keep them for after fight healing.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

5ekyu

Hero
Rod Staffwand. From my playtime and GM time the mega dungeon and camp outs inside is either style we never had or that were very forgettable... Cuz i dont remember any. Its was just a "trope" we never realy built around.

In my current game, the players have discovered an isolated community of refugees, multiple factions, disagreements about whether to leave among the people, who can leave etc.

Their arrival added to the mix the chance for a FEW to leave, to send word out to get others in and serious disagreement on the benefit/harm of what happens if various outside factions get control of "the macguffin" the refugees are sitting on. (Closest outside faction is NOT NICE and hated/feared by refugees.)

Right now they find themselves in a "maze of unexplored corridors with monsters on either side and in for some tough choices/fights to get out with the new info but even then, however they can get out alive (with more info) the various wheels they set in motion are going to keep spinning so a plan of skirmish then day rest etc really allows the other sides to react, advance and further their plans much more.

We rarely find static challenges AND static circumstances at the same time that makes skirmish-sleep-return that good an option.

Kind of like what you describe as others also pursuing their own objectives.

Also can call to mind the Brandon Frazier Mummy movies where facing a static challenge (ancient tomb) sets in motion a very non-static threat.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Consider awarding Lingering Injuries (DMG p.272) to anyone who drops to 0 or fails a death save or suffers a crit. This represents long-term damage without crippling the PC. Having no hit points is very crippling, which is why Slow Natural Healing slows the game down too much; the unhealed PCs can't participate. In contrast, the Lingering Injuries aren't good to have, but you can press on in an emergency. Some people use Exhaustion to represent the same sort of thing, and I've seen somewhere a Wound system that mirrors Exhaustion used for this. There are also a lot of fun "critical hit tables" floating around the internet that you could look at for inspiration in case the table in the DMG does not float your boat.

Taralan

Explorer
It’s funny to see that a lot of people now consider it crippling for a pc to start a fight with anything less than full hit points. It really shows how the game went from having hp be a ressource that was managed during the entire adventure to a ressource that is now expected to be managed in each encounter.

Personally I think this really cheapens the experience and removes a lot of strategic choices, also encouraging players to simply charge and destroy anything in their path, rather than seek to avoid or negotiate with potential threats.

That being said I think it’s very difficult to remove this from 5e and return to a feeling closer to the older editions. I have tried a few of the alternate healing rules and none of them truly works. At the moment I am using half hit dice only during long rest and it sort of works but only if you are in a high encounters per day environment such as a dungeon. It’s very difficult to balance this if you have only a few encounters per day or even week.

Remove ads