Small wizard with a staff?

Mort_Q

First Post
Where does that off hand stuff come from?

A two weapon ranger can wield a weapon in each hand, including his off hand.

A two implement wizard can wield an implement in each hand, including her off hand.

But they can't use both in the same attack unless they have a power that says they can.

Rangers do, and they're required to state which weapon is in the off hand.

Wizards, afaik, don't.

Master Witch

First Post
You could always run the "walking staff" as an improvised one handed weapon; it does 1d4 damage but no proficiency. Now if you look at the size chart on page 220 in PG, and take a logical look at the damage, if a staff was made for a small creature and not a medium one and as the chart points to the idea that as size goes up so does damage. I would say that also works as size goes down it lowers by 1 die. So the staff would do 1d6 if used two-handed by a small race if and only if it had been made for a small race. Other then doing that your wizard is stuck without a staff as a weapon. If I was you I would also take a look at the “enchant magic item” ritual for resizing your staff. I know it says armor but it’s not a jump of logic to have it work on other items.

Andor

First Post
I think that RAW halfling wizards can't use staves. I also think that any DM who both enforces that and refuses to allow a work-around need two or three swift kicks to the cojones. :hmm:

dragon_eater

First Post
If I had a halfling that wanted to play a wizard then I would just give them an eighthstaff which did 1d6 damage and call it good. Not letting them use staff of defence would just be mean.

darkInertia

First Post
You could allow that the halfling wizard could use the ritual to resize the magical staff down to his size. Then use the table (I think it's in the weapon second of the PHB) that gives the progression chart for damage based on size. Scale down the damage of the quarterstaff by one step and there you go - the halfling can use the staff as an implement and weapon.

David Sid

First Post
The only change that needs to be made is to give the quarterstaff the "Small" keyword. [Realized after posting this that Andur had already made the same suggestion. Oops.]

This doesn't make the quarterstaff an unbalanced weapon because it's a weapon that only wizards will use. Non-wizard Small simple weapon users can use a mace two-handed for the same damage. Small wizards gain a small advantage in melee…but in any serious combat, a wizard in melee is a dead wizard.

Last edited:

Master Witch

First Post
Hey Master Witch, just to let you know, the moderators tend to use red when disciplining us unruly children. You might want to consider another color to avoid confusion with that.
Sorry about the red letters. My spelling blows so most often I run what I write trough spell check just to be safe. All try turning the letters back to white. No need to get in trouble for some thing little like that ...

OpsKT

Explorer
I would simply rule that a small wizard (of any race, not just halfling) instead learns club in place of quarterstaff as a weapon.

For implements, that's what the resizing option on Enchant Magic Item is for.

"Oh look, my staff is now small, like a club, and I can use it both as implement and weapon. Course, if I am using as weapon, our defender is fired."

Remove ads