• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Smudges - All Core books

Ninja-to

First Post
Finally! I lost this thread so haven't been able to read the comments. Anyway back to the issue of the smudges.

When I got my core book gift set it looked immaculate. There were no creases or glue issues of any kind. Nothing wavy etc. I used Amazon here in the UK.

I'd had KotSF for a week or so and had started reading that. Hadn't noticed any ink smudges.

I'd like to emphasize that there is a *huge* difference in smudginess (?) between all of my 3.5 books and the 4th Edition books.

In my 3.5 books, it's actually quite difficult to cause a smudge. The fact that in the 4th Edition books it happened while reading casually was very disappointing. The smudges were very noticeable, not because of a difference in printing styles but because for the simple fact the ink is very easy to smudge, especially if you're reading through a page carefully and your thumb is on the text.

There are a lot of people who say their books are fine. I hadn't noticed the smudginess of the 4th ed books until I'd started to read the PHB carefully. Flipping through the books casually won't do anything to them. What I did to test the first instance of the smudge was simply make a fist, rub my thumb up and down a bit on my hand until it was warm and then run it over the text. It smudged horribly. And interestingly, people have brought up the 'fact' that the 3.5 ink and paper was the same. When I noticed the 4th ed core books smudging I grabbed my 3.5 PHB and did exactly the same test, over and over. Not a single smudge. If I *really* drive my thumb on my 3.5 PHB I can eventually get a slight smear of the ink. I've had my 3.5 books for years and years, and have no smudges at all (minus the one I really had to work hard to get).

Conclusion: Something somewhere most definitely did go wrong in the printing press. My cousin happens to be a publisher, and he said quite quickly that the ink in my books was obviously not sealed properly. To take his quote almost directly, 'obviously someone somewhere has skimped on the sealing'.

Maybe not all the books have this problem. If you think your books are ok, try the test of getting a little bit of moisture on your thumb, and rub the ink. Hopefully your books are ok, mine most certainly were not. Make sure your fingers have slight moisture on them. Rubbing your thumb on your index finger should be enough.

I've returned mine to Amazon already and I'm waiting for them to ship a replacement. They must be low on stock as it's going to take almost a month it seems.

If you're still not convinced that the smudging in my 4th edition core books was no different to 3.5 (absolutely not true in my case), I also tried smudging the ink in my KotSF module, and yes it also smudges. At first it didn't seem as bad as the core books, but I think that was due to the core books being thicker and heavier. You have to support the back of the module with your own hand and rub a bit to get the same effect as the smudges on the core books.

I know I've already said it, but I have to say again that the 4E books smudge a great deal more than my 3.5 PHB, which is almost un-smudgable (I think I've made up some new words in this thread).

I actually took a photo of the smudging before sending the books back to Amazon. I thought they'd want to see the proof but turns out they didn't need to.

It looks a lot better in the photo than it does in real life. The smudges seem a lot cleaner in the pic. All three of the core books had the same smudgy ink.

Attachments

• Smudge.jpg
    Smudge.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

brehobit

Explorer
Ninja-to said:
It looks a lot better in the photo than it does in real life. The smudges seem a lot cleaner in the pic. All three of the core books had the same smudgy ink.

Yeah,
Mine are worse than that image by a fair bit. Might hook up a scanner to show it at some point...

In any case, I found I could smudge my 3.x books, but it took effort. Of course they've been sitting around longer (if that matters).

Mark

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Ninja-to said:
I've done the same test (also UK), well: I get smudging - BUT I had to do your test with a moist thumb about three or four times by putting it on the test, then smearing it down with force - casual touch couldn't do that.

Interesting thing: They started out without waviness, started to wave, now it recedes again.

I really thing the prints weren't completely dried when shipped.

EDIT: Your pictures is similar to my smudgings after the third or fourth try - if yours look that bad after one or two AND the pictures looks cleaner... than you really have a really bad copy. Did the same test with my Magic Item Compendium and by Eberron Campaign Setting. MIC: Smudges about the same, ECS: A bit less - needs about two or three extra tries to get the same smudging.

Cheers, LT.

Last edited:

Ninja-to

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
I've done the same test (also UK), well: I get smudging - BUT I had to do your test with a moist thumb about three or four times by putting it on the test, then smearing it down with force - casual touch couldn't do that.

Interesting thing: They started out without waviness, started to wave, no it recedes again.

I really thing the prints weren't completely dried when shipped.

Cheers, LT.

Yeah same here, I didn't get any smudges with casual reading, only when I started to carefully read through the books.

I hope you're right in that it's something simple like wet ink during shipping. I don't know, but if the next set of core books has the same issue I'm going to be *very* hesitant at buying books in future, particularly ones from online that I can't check physically before buying.

Sanzuo

First Post
I also seem to have wavy pages. No smudging yet. But of course I smudged the hell out of my 3.x books over the years, so I'm expecting a little.

This thread makes me wonder if something went wrong in the initial printing. I definitely looks like they didn't let the paper dry properly after the printing.

Skywalker

Adventurer
Lord Xtheth said:
I noticed this with KoTS, and thought nothing of it.

However if I do see it happening when my 4E books show up I'll be quite upset.

I had the same issue with KotS on the back page, which I avoided by using clear covering. I haven't had any issues with the core books.

Hussar

Legend
Ninja-to said:
Yeah same here, I didn't get any smudges with casual reading, only when I started to carefully read through the books.

I hope you're right in that it's something simple like wet ink during shipping. I don't know, but if the next set of core books has the same issue I'm going to be *very* hesitant at buying books in future, particularly ones from online that I can't check physically before buying.

Hang on. What exactly are you doing when you "carefully read"? How is that different than casual reading? Are you touching the text as you read?

ki11erDM

Explorer
I'm disappointed with the quality (and never had problems with my 3.5 books, despite WotC saying 4th and 3.5 books are the same qialiuy/material and also denying that there are problems with the books - just read their forum entries...)

This sentiment is the bogusness I find in this thread. Because my 3.5 books and my 4e books are EXACTLY the same. We can talk all day about the print quality of 3.5/4e or the inconsistency of the printer. But to clam that WoTC is lying about this is just totally off kilter with every piece of evidence I can find and examine with my own eyes (about 10 books to date) is just not the right thing to do without hard consistent evidence. But this is the internet so there you go.

Could the printer have messed up on a few 1000 books? Heck yea. Could they be lying to WotC about it? Maybe. Could they not know about it? Probably. If your books suck email WoTC customer support so they can document how many people had issues so they can take it up with the printer and then return the books and get some new ones. It is not rocket science.

Now excuse me while I go complain bitterly about monster design in 4e ; )

Remove ads