• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sneak attack/Curse/Quarry damage on a crit?

moticon

First Post
Hi All,

I thought I had seen that sneak attack damage, curse damage, and hunter's quarry were also maxed on a critical hit.

But I can't find that now and wonder if I was dreaming it or just following a rumor.

What's the rule, and can you point me to the reference for this?

thanks -

catsclaw227

First Post
I don't have the books with me, but I recall the ruling being that all damage other than the bonus damage that a critical provides (magic weapons, etc.) is maximized, and this includes sneak attack/hunter's quarry/warlock's curse.

Kordeth

First Post
I don't have the books with me, but I recall the ruling being that all damage other than the bonus damage that a critical provides (magic weapons, etc.) is maximized, and this includes sneak attack/hunter's quarry/warlock's curse.

Correct. Only extra damage that comes from a critical hit has to be rolled.

bdmac

First Post
It's in the FAQ.

11. Which dice do I maximize when scoring a critical hit?

Only the dice you would normally roll to calculate damage are maximized. If another bonus (like from a weapon or feat) causes you to roll extra damage dice when scoring a critical hit, those dice are rolled as normal.

I would love for what you said to be true but isn't that just an interpretation of what the FAQ actually says? I would not classify something like Sneak Attack as being dice you would normally roll to calculate damage. Especially considering you get to decide to apply it after you roll damage... SA damage is purely optional.

Mad Hamish

First Post
I would love for what you said to be true but isn't that just an interpretation of what the FAQ actually says? I would not classify something like Sneak Attack as being dice you would normally roll to calculate damage. Especially considering you get to decide to apply it after you roll damage... SA damage is purely optional.

I think you're paying attention to the wrong part of the faq.

If another bonus (like from a weapon or feat) causes you to roll extra damage dice _when_scoring_a_critical_hit_, those dice are rolled as normal

Sneak attack etc is not extra damage dice when scoring a critical hit.
They are extra damage dice you can apply to any hit.
So they're maximised.

bdmac

First Post
Disagree. The second part of the FAQ is simply listing examples of damage dice you would roll. It is not all-encompassing, hence the use of like in the parentheses. Sneak Attack is not part of the NORMAL damage you roll to calculate damage. Again, you do not even decide to roll SA damage until AFTER you maximized your power damage roll for the crit.

catsclaw227

First Post
Disagree. The second part of the FAQ is simply listing examples of damage dice you would roll. It is not all-encompassing, hence the use of like in the parentheses. Sneak Attack is not part of the NORMAL damage you roll to calculate damage. Again, you do not even decide to roll SA damage until AFTER you maximized your power damage roll for the crit.

And I disagree with your statement.

The ruling says:
"If another bonus (like from a weapon or feat) causes you to roll extra damage dice when scoring a critical hit, those dice are rolled as normal"

These are the only dice you roll. Magic Item bonuses for crit, High crit bonuses for crit and similar items. Sneak, curse, quarry.... these are maximized.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads