Sneak Peek At Ghosts of Saltmarsh Maps

Here's a sneak peek at some of the maps to be found in the upcoming D&D Ghosts of Saltmarsh, courtesy of WotC's Twitch stream.

Here's a sneak peek at some of the maps to be found in the upcoming D&D Ghosts of Saltmarsh, courtesy of WotC's Twitch stream.

ghost_saltmarsh.jpg

And Dyson Logos, one of the cartographers for the book, has shared some of his work which will be appearing!

D1WNe3OWsAU8xwR.jpg

D1WNe3NWoAIjD-j.jpg

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The only module I have purchased for Roll20 was Curse of Strahd. To be honest I didn't find it all that helpful except it did include some maps that were not in the book -- 2d floor plans of the castle. Did it save some prep time? A bit. However, I still had to import/draw lots of maps and create monsters to run the adventure. So, I am skeptical of modules that cost more than about $10 for VTTs.

Huh. I'd hope that they would have all the wall tracing done so that dynamic lighting and auto-reveal, etc., would be ready to use. I would also hope that all the encounter stats and tokens would be included.

Hussar

Legend
Huh. I'd hope that they would have all the wall tracing done so that dynamic lighting and auto-reveal, etc., would be ready to use. I would also hope that all the encounter stats and tokens would be included.

Well, Fantasy Grounds doesn't have any of those features, so, it wouldn't appear there. However, the maps are all preset, with tokens appearing where they should and it is entirely possible to run Fantasy Grounds modules pretty much straight out of the box without any prep. That is worth quite a bit.

Tom B1

Explorer
Where is Saltmarch in faerun ?

In Greyhawk, Saltmarsh canonically lies in the south of Keoland, on the coast of the Azure sea, not far from the Hool Marshes.

Guidance in the 3.5 DMG II relating to integrating SM into Faerun suggests two options:
1) Located on the Sword Coast a few days south of Baldur's Gate
2) On the Inner Sea on the coast of Corymr or Sembia

In Eberron, it could appear as a fishing village on the coast of Khovaire, used as a gateway for expeditions to Xen'drik.

An Eberron retheme would be a bit of fun!

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
In Eberron, it could appear as a fishing village on the coast of Khovaire, used as a gateway for expeditions to Xen'drik.

An Eberron retheme would be a bit of fun!

I, at least, will be putting Saltmarsh in Q'Barra. At least that's the plan; I'll admit to have less familiarity with the modules myself, but I expect there will be plenty of room for expansion and re-flavoring. If nothing else, Q'Barra puts the action much closer to the actual pirates.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I, at least, will be putting Saltmarsh in Q'Barra. At least that's the plan; I'll admit to have less familiarity with the modules myself, but I expect there will be plenty of room for expansion and re-flavoring. If nothing else, Q'Barra puts the action much closer to the actual pirates.
When I was sketching out a Saltmarsh and Isle of Dread game for Eberron several years ago (which I didn't end up running), I also used one of the Q'barra towns as the Saltmarsh replacement.

At this point if I wait on Goodman, I could use both of those 5E conversions plus throw in Tomb of Annihilation locations into the Q'barran jungle and really make a campaign of it.

Pete Wilkins

First Post
Huh, it wasn't as hard as I thought. The Saltmarsh map puts north to the left (boo, you are BAD people who do this. North is the top of the page!!!) which means there's a pretty little river right between Fireshear and Luskan near the Ten Towns that would fit perfectly.

Ever see a map of Australia? North is at the bottom, compass will point south thanks to magnetic field. I have a cartography degree and have been a professional in the field for 20 yrs. It never HAS TO be towards the top of page as long as it's clearly identified it's acceptable.

Hussar

Legend
Really? Maps of Australia are printed upside down? So that Tasmania (for example) is at the top of the map?

Google image appears to be lying to me. :p

pemerton

Legend
Really? Maps of Australia are printed upside down? So that Tasmania (for example) is at the top of the map?
Occasionally as a lark.

But not really, no. I've never seen such a thing except as a joke. (I have a colleague who has an Arno Peters-projection map with south at the top stuck to his office door, which I take to be a political statement rather than a joke, but obviously it's got more than just Australia on it!)

Remove ads

Remove ads