• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So, 5e OGL

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I don't recall the "90 day" deadline. I remember Mearls talking somewhere (the final Legends & Lore article?) about planning to announce the details of the OGL in the new year and release sometime after that. We haven't heard a peep about the OGL since then.

It's the same news. I was just extrapolating from his comments. It was Mearls saying it would come after the DMG, and he said "While the details are still in flux, we can say that we plan to announce the details of our plans sometime this fall. After that announcement, we plan on launching our program in early 2015." Extrapolating from that, the plan seems to have been to announce 3 months after the DMG.

S_Dalsgaard

First Post
Perhaps I am displaying my ignorance here, but I am wondering what WotC gets out of making a 5e OGL? Is there any incentive for them to release it, other than making some fans happy?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Perhaps I am displaying my ignorance here, but I am wondering what WotC gets out of making a 5e OGL? Is there any incentive for them to release it, other than making some fans happy?

There's a lot of background, theory and disagreement over the subject. One end of the argument (supported by folks like Ryan Dancey, who created the OGL while VP of WotC) is the theory of network externalities: the idea that a well-supported game, with hundreds of adventures and sourcebooks, is a successful game, and one which drives sales of the core rulebooks. The other side of the arguments says "Yes, but Pathfinder". There's some truth in both.

I spoke to Ryan Dancey about this and other stuff in this interview:

[video=youtube;ZXLBBp3YDro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXLBBp3YDro[/video]

Here's a heavy dose of business theory from Dancey which I archived on Eric Noah's old site:

http://www.enworld.org/ericnoah/interview_dancey.html

Mistwell

[MENTION=32417]MikeMearls[/MENTION] Any ongoing OGL plans? Originally you said "plan to announce the details of our plans sometime this fall [2014]" Where's it now?

[MENTION=13310]YetiMoose[/MENTION] Nothing to announce. Yet. Sometimes a dragon needs a little more time in the egg.

So there we have it. An update, on this topic, from today. Yes, they are still working on the OGL in some fashion. [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] may be interested in this as a news item.

Last edited:

S_Dalsgaard

First Post
There's a lot of background, theory and disagreement over the subject. One end of the argument (supported by folks like Ryan Dancey, who created the OGL while VP of WotC) is the theory of network externalities: the idea that a well-supported game, with hundreds of adventures and sourcebooks, is a successful game, and one which drives sales of the core rulebooks. The other side of the arguments says "Yes, but Pathfinder". There's some truth in both.

I spoke to Ryan Dancey about this and other stuff in this interview:

[video=youtube;ZXLBBp3YDro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXLBBp3YDro[/video]

Here's a heavy dose of business theory from Dancey which I archived on Eric Noah's old site:

http://www.enworld.org/ericnoah/interview_dancey.html

Thanks for enlightening me.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
How would you expect them to telegraph it? Perhaps by refusing to talk about it anymore?

How much have they talked about ANYTHING? WotC has been tight-lipped since 5e launched. I don't think they'd be any different about the OGL than they have been about, say, this thing they've got going with Pendleton Ward. Perhaps more so.

They know people are expecting it. They would at least be telling us not to expect it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[MENTION=32417]MikeMearls[/MENTION] Any ongoing OGL plans? Originally you said "plan to announce the details of our plans sometime this fall [2014]" Where's it now?

[MENTION=13310]YetiMoose[/MENTION] Nothing to announce. Yet. Sometimes a dragon needs a little more time in the egg.

So there we have it. An update, on this topic, from today. Yes, they are still working on the OGL in some fashion. [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] may be interested in this as a news item.

Eh? Mike Mearls asked you about OGL plans, and you told him you had nothing to announce yet?*

*I know!

Mistwell

Eh? Mike Mearls asked you about OGL plans, and you told him you had nothing to announce yet?*

*I know!

I do like how some people paste a pretty Twitter image when they quote Twitter. There must be a way to do that, but alas I don't know how to do that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads