• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So, 5e OGL

CapnZapp

Legend
I dislike how this thread is bumped only to avoid "thread necromancy".

Start a new thread the next time you have something interesting about 5e OGL to say, and remove the life support from this one. Thanks

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I dislike how this thread is bumped only to avoid "thread necromancy".

Start a new thread the next time you have something interesting about 5e OGL to say, and remove the life support from this one. Thanks

Why? Pretty sure it's preferred to keep one thread rather than make a new one every time. This way we keep everyone's previous analysis available for the eventuality that there is news.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Tough for you Cap, you could oh I don't know unsubscribe from the thread, or perhaps see that it's into the 56'th page and remember that you don't want to hear people rehash stuff and ignore it.

RSKennan

Explorer
I personally prefer it kept to one thread, because I'm subscribed to this one. I don't always have time to skim the site and go back page after page to find out if anyone's talking about 5e OGL. I'd rather be emailed whenever this one gets activity.

I disagree. I think the original plan was to announce something 90 days or so after the LAST of the core books (which would have been around March 10). But the jury duty may have delayed that by another 6 months, putting that date around September 10. We're only in May. Still four months to go. And that's assuming the OGL was that guy's highest priority and he'd resume work on it the moment he got back from jury duty, which may be a bad assumption.

I don't think WOTC is done with the idea. It was not that long ago that Mearls mentioned it on Twitter. I think it's just on the back burner.

I don't recall the "90 day" deadline. I remember Mearls talking somewhere (the final Legends & Lore article?) about planning to announce the details of the OGL in the new year and release sometime after that. We haven't heard a peep about the OGL since then.

It feels less like they're working around a delay and more like they silently killed it and are hoping if they remain silent long enough, people will stop asking and they won't have to generate any negative publicity by announcing its cancellation.

Also, I'm uncertain of the influence of jury duty in this situation. They've been forthcoming regarding the delayed conversion guides because of jury duty but have ignore direct questions relating to the OGL and jury duty, being unwilling to comment if it's a factor or not. Invoking "jury duty" would get people off their back regarding the OGL and quiet threads like this. While people are irritated by the delays, it's certainly an understandable situation.But they haven't.

Of course, even if it is delayed by Jury Duty that doesn't mean it'll be ready right after things ends, it just means they can resume working where they left off. If things were ready and just needed a rubber stamp then it's September. But if work still needed to be done it'll be much longer. Getting back to work after 6+ months way is a painful process and it takes a while to become efficient again and remember where you left off. Half-finished projects often have to be restarted from scratch. And there'll be all the urgent stuff and new work that has been generated over the absence. It's very likely old projects people have demonstrated they can live without will be cancelled or sidelined. So even IF the OGL was delayed due to jury duty, the licence might still end up never seeing the light of day.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I think at this time it's fair to say an OGL isn't happening. It's almost been a year and five months into 2015 and we haven't even gotten the "walkthrough" of the planned OGL yet. It's safe to say the OGL cannot be agreed on internally and just isn't happening.

Which is a shame, but wouldn't be so bad if the fan site policy wasn't the gaming equivalent of a human rights violation. I mean, if the Geneva Convention considered gamers to be human, the WotC Fan Site Policy would be a crime against humanity.

July of last year when the product started to release with the DMG only six months old now. I'm not surprised that an OGL isn't out before the core books are a year old

Nellisir

Hero
It feels less like they're working around a delay and more like they silently killed it and are hoping if they remain silent long enough, people will stop asking and they won't have to generate any negative publicity by announcing its cancellation.

In WotC's defense, they've been spectacularly close-mouthed about EVERYTHING so far. I'm viewing the lack of comment as exactly that: a lack of comment.

CapnZapp

Legend
Tough luck, you subscribers. Any real news will most probably not arrive in this particular thread.

The only news you'll ever get here is "nope still no OGL".

I see no reason why not let this thread die. You can always use thread necromancy on it later.

In WotC's defense, they've been spectacularly close-mouthed about EVERYTHING so far. I'm viewing the lack of comment as exactly that: a lack of comment.
True, but they *have* commented on projects delayed by jury duty. If both were delayed for the same reasons it'd be strange to comment on one but remain silent on the other.

July of last year when the product started to release with the DMG only six months old now. I'm not surprised that an OGL isn't out before the core books are a year old
The original OGL was released around the same time as the books and many established publishers saw it early, as demonstrated by the number of books very quickly released for 3e. The GSL was out a month after the 4e books. So the 5e licence has already taken 4x as long and still no word. Which is curious enough without WotC ceasing to mention it.
If they wanted to give people more time to think, it would be easy to release a licence with a delayed activation date. Such as releasing now but saying that it does not take effect until Oct 2015 or something.

Remove ads