• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So a Keen Rapier Crits on....

Storm Raven

First Post
Chairman7w said:
So a Keen Rapier Crits on.... 16-20?

15-20 actually.

The normal critical threat range for a rapier is 18-20, or 3 digits. The keen enhancement (or the Improved Critical feat) doubles this to six digits, or 15-20 (15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 is six numbers).

Chairman7w

First Post
Thank you Storm Raven! (cool name!)

Storm Raven said:
15-20 actually.

The normal critical threat range for a rapier is 18-20, or 3 digits. The keen enhancement (or the Improved Critical feat) doubles this to six digits, or 15-20 (15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 is six numbers).

Cabral

First Post
And with Improved Critical, it threatens on a 12-20.

Note the destinction between threaten a critical and confirming one. If your natural roll is one of the numbers in the threaten range and the modified roll would hit, roll again and if the new roll plus modifers would hit the target, then it's a critical. If the second roll would not hit the target, then it's just a hit. (If you knew that already, just making sure :lol:)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Cabral said:

Note the destinction between threaten a critical and confirming one. If your natural roll is one of the numbers in the threaten range and the modified roll would hit, roll again and if the new roll plus modifers would hit the target, then it's a critical. If the second roll would not hit the target, then it's just a hit. (If you knew that already, just making sure :lol:)

Note: That's in 3.0. In 3.5, keen does not stack with improved critical.

Chairman7w

First Post
No, that's incorrect. The Keen Benefit does NOT stack with Improved Critical.

Cabral said:

atom crash

First Post

This is only the case if you house rule that Keen and Improved Critical stack. The rules dictate that they do not stack.

Improved Critical [General]

Prerequisite
Proficient with weapon, base attack bonus +8.

Benefit
Choose one type of weapon. When using the weapon you selected, your threat range is doubled.

Special
You can gain Improved Critical multiple times. The effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.

This effect doesn’t stack with any other effect that expands the threat range of a weapon.

A fighter may select Improved Critical as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Edit: D'oh. Nothing new to add. So, technically a keen rapier threatens a critical on a 15-20. Then you roll to confirm.

sjmiller

Explorer
billd91 said:
Note: That's in 3.0. In 3.5, keen does not stack with improved critical.
My question is, why shouldn't it? They have all sorts of other over-the-top cinematic weapon/feat combinations, why not this one? There are easy remedies to ensure this isn't overly abused, and it does make for a fun encounter. Since I am still playing 3.0 I am going to allow it. Heck, the last game session we talked about just this sort of thing.

Storm Raven

First Post
sjmiller said:
My question is, why shouldn't it? They have all sorts of other over-the-top cinematic weapon/feat combinations, why not this one? There are easy remedies to ensure this isn't overly abused, and it does make for a fun encounter. Since I am still playing 3.0 I am going to allow it. Heck, the last game session we talked about just this sort of thing.

There is no game balance reason. The reason given by the primary designer of the 3.5 revision is that allowing the two to stack made critical hits less "special". I generally think that the fact that the combination requires a +8 BAB, a feat, and at least +2 worth of magical enhancements is more than enough to keep critical hits "special". In my campaign, I allow the two to stack as a house rule.

rbrt_spade

First Post
Im a 3.0 player and personaly I think that they should stack. The most I have ever added up for ranges is that you have on a hit is a 25% chance for a crit. But with some of the prcs that add more to the weapns threat range, it can be broken.

Remove ads