• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So, did Pendleton Ward help with TFYP?

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Things we know about upcoming adventure paths:

* Pendleton Ward worked on one
* One will feature Artus Cimber and the Ring of Winter (per Storm King's Thunder)

We can infer from this that there is at least one more Forgotten Realms adventure in the pipeline, unless they managed to work Artus Cimber into Tales from the Yawning Portal via the Doomvault.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

* One will feature Artus Cimber and the Ring of Winter (per Storm King's Thunder)

We can infer from this that there is at least one more Forgotten Realms adventure in the pipeline, unless they managed to work Artus Cimber into Tales from the Yawning Portal via the Doomvault.

Not sure what to think about the Ring of Winter, as that is central in the just released Neverwinter tie in to Sky Kings Thunder: they may have been referencing the video game?

My read is that they were talking about a fall release, but not letting on to that yet.

Now, what will the AP this year be...? Given Ward's involvement (he is a strange one) and what they have been laying down, here are three speculations:

1.) Feywild extravaganza, involving fey courts and all that jazz: lots of room for wild weirdness, and less copying of earlier products.

2.) Mindflayer-centric storyline, utilizing Gates of Firestorm Peak (mentioned several times in the core books by name), and may Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. I would be thrilled if Spelljammer, the seed about the Mindflayer empire traveling in time from Volos, and stats for Cthulu & Friends were involved.

3.) Serpent Hills AP, Yuan-Ti and Lizardfolk galore: Dwellers of the Forbidden City taken up a notch. Plenty of seeds in that direction between SCAG and Volos.

I vote for all of these. In that order, plz.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I vote for all of these. In that order, plz.

I'll take them in any order; based on the hints in the core books, SCAG and Volos all three are highly likely in some form. The lack of a very strong archetypal Faireland adventure is one reason I think they would bring in somebody like Ward, to create an all new storyline.

The Fey in Volo's are certainly ripe for use. I mean, its an entire class of interesting and cool creatures that have not appeared even once in the adventures so far, beyond the Hags in Curse of Strahd. Of course, if they feel the need to reprint the stats in the adventure, it ends up being twenty pages shorter...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Fey in Volo's are certainly ripe for use. I mean, its an entire class of interesting and cool creatures that have not appeared even once in the adventures so far, beyond the Hags in Curse of Strahd. Of course, if they feel the need to reprint the stats in the adventure, it ends up being twenty pages shorter...

Yeah, and the Archfey have been hinted at, in the books, fairly extensively...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, there is one more thing we know about the mystery AP: per Perkins at Gameholecon, it will start in a very fluid, openended sandbox, but end in a classic big dungeon crawl. Doesn't say much, but there it is.

Remathilis

Legend

We also know Acerack in hanging out in Chult (Dungeonology, The Hero), and I don't think that's a reference to ToH being in TotYP.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We also know Acerack in hanging out in Chult (Dungeonology, The Hero), and I don't think that's a reference to ToH being in TotYP.

Well...TftYP is going to have guidelines for putting all seven adventures in at least four settings (Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Eberron).

So, the Chult thing really could be a reference to TftYP, rather than any near future AP.

Remove ads