So disappointed...

Barcode

First Post
It's like finding the first scratch on a new car...

Flipping through Urban Arcana, I come across the much ballyhooed Bicycling rules.

Check this - for a top of the line, aerodynamic 10-speed bike (first cue there - when was the last time a top of the line bike was 10 speed?), the maximum, (maximum!) speed is 6 squares per round. 30 feet per round. Like, 3.4 miles per hour. Same as walking.

For those who have never been on a bike before (like the designers, editors and playtesters of UA), 10mph on level ground is an easy cruising speed to reach if you are not a cardiac patient. The average speed on the Tour de France is around 25mph. And that's factoring in riding up Alps and stuff.

Sigh. Another entry for Murphy's Rules.

-B-

Ranger REG

Explorer
Hmm. Trying to figure out the numbers here. The sidebar says you can reach Street Speed if you perform a full-round action; that's 50 squares per round in character scale.

AFAIC, the single-digit values in the table are the bicycle's combat speed, where you can move in one round and still perform an attack action but you won't lose your Dex.

Last edited:

Barcode

First Post
Here's the lowdown on bicycle top speeds and proper vehicle sizes:

Bicycles should have the following top speeds on Table 2-6:

Diamondback X-20: 40 (4)
LeMond Victoire: 50 (5)
Mongoose Fuzz Pro: 30 (3)

The sizes given in the vehicle descriptions are largely incorrect. Here's a rundown of their proper sizes. If I don't list a vehicle, its size in the book is correct.

Police Cruiser: 2 squares by 4 squares
Dodge Intrepid Police Interceptor: 2 squares by 4 squares
Ford Econoline 150: 2 squares by 4 squares
Jeep Wrangler: 2 squares by 3 squares
Perterbil 379: Including a full-sized trailer, the vehicle is 2 squares wide and 14 squares long. The cab alone is 5 squares long.
Tow Truck: 2 squares by 4 squares
V-Rod: 1 square by 2 squares
Police Motorcycle: 1 square by 2 squares
Fishing Trawler: 4 squares by 16 squares
Tug Boat: 4 squares by 18 squares
Fire Truck: 2 squares by 6 squares
Police Peacekeeper: 2 squares by 4 squares

--------------------
Charles Ryan
Editor, RPG R&D
Wizards of the Coast

Mr. Ryan comes through again with a speedy resolution to the problem. I gotta say I love the support that the system is getting from WotC.

Remove ads