• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, has anyone played a wizard in full plate yet?

Sitara

Explorer
Judt wondering if anyone has played/seen played a wizar din full plate, and with a heavy shield. Not the height of optimization Iknow, but doable and MAY have hidden benefits. :)

Old Gumphrey

First Post
Sitara said:
Judt wondering if anyone has played/seen played a wizar din full plate, and with a heavy shield. Not the height of optimization Iknow, but doable and MAY have hidden benefits. :)

This sort of thing won't really pay off until epic levels, when Godplate is packing a +14 base armor bonus, and you're 12 AC up from the next highest wizard. The imagery is awesome, though, and I'll be doing this with my dwarf warlock if I ever get to stop DMing [although I'm using scale and a light shield, to avoid the check penalties, save feats, and be able to wield a warhammer in one hand (for OA) and a rod in the other (for burninating)].

DLichen

First Post
Getting both str and con up to 15 would be tough as a pure wizard, though if you're going for the gish route, this is very viable.

Old Gumphrey said:
This sort of thing won't really pay off until epic levels, when Godplate is packing a +14 base armor bonus, and you're 12 AC up from the next highest wizard. The imagery is awesome, though, and I'll be doing this with my dwarf warlock if I ever get to stop DMing [although I'm using scale and a light shield, to avoid the check penalties, save feats, and be able to wield a warhammer in one hand (for OA) and a rod in the other (for burninating)].
Uhm, no. The "next highest Wizard" is going to have 30 int and have spent one feat to get leather, giving them (wait for it) a base AC of +14. Heavy armour for builds that actually get int or dex as a primary or secondary stat never really "pays off".

Pretty good for star pact warlocks though.

Ginnel

Explorer
The only advantage would be for the type of enchantments on plate rather than cloth/leather/any of the others.

If I was a DM and some wizard wanted to go the full plate way I'd make sure there would be items which worked well with what the wizard was doing, maybe even have an ancient order of wizards in full plate and qualify for a paragon path with it, for a neat character concept, I would encourage and facilitate it

Zurai

First Post
generalhenry said:
what's the point? a smart wizard shouldn't be having his AC targeted often.
And a smart player of a wizard will stop at Hide armor at the highest.

Why waste 3 feats to get no benefit other than a different (and non-synergistic) selection of magical armor types?

Remove ads