So, has anyone played a wizard in full plate yet?

Kordeth

First Post
Old Gumphrey said:
[although I'm using scale and a light shield, to avoid the check penalties, save feats, and be able to wield a warhammer in one hand (for OA) and a rod in the other (for burninating)].

You can't do this. Using an implement counts as wielding it like a weapon, so you can't wield a rod in your shield hand. You can carry it, and get any passive bonuses that come from holding the rod, but you can't use it with your powers.

Branduil

Hero
hong said:
Which actually kind of rules out warlords in godplate as well.

Crap.
Haven't you ever noticed how combat leaders in movies often wear far less armor than any of the soldiers(so you can see their facial expressions, etc). It fits the theme! :p

calypso15

Explorer
Old Gumphrey said:
dwarf warlock...a warhammer in one hand (for OA) and a rod in the other (for burninating)].

...why not use Eldritch Blast for your OA?

(And before someone says "but then you'll provoke an OA in return!", page 268: "You can’t take an opportunity action on your own turn.")

StormCrow42

Explorer
calypso15 said:
...why not use Eldritch Blast for your OA?

Because OAs are Melee basic attacks. And Eldritch blast isn't. The point of it being a ranged basic attack is for it to benefit from the Warlord abilities that allow characters to take basic attacks out of turn.

calypso15

Explorer
StormCrow42 said:
Because OAs are Melee basic attacks. And Eldritch blast isn't. The point of it being a ranged basic attack is for it to benefit from the Warlord abilities that allow characters to take basic attacks out of turn.

Huh... right you are! Don't know how I missed that the first time through.

Zurai

First Post
calypso15 said:
(And before someone says "but then you'll provoke an OA in return!", page 268: "You can’t take an opportunity action on your own turn.")
It still provokes OAs. If there were two creatures within melee range/reach of the warlock, and one of them provoked from the 'lock, and the 'lock somehow used Eldritch Blast for his OA, the other creature would be able to use an OA against the warlock.

calypso15

Explorer
Zurai said:
It still provokes OAs. If there were two creatures within melee range/reach of the warlock, and one of them provoked from the 'lock, and the 'lock somehow used Eldritch Blast for his OA, the other creature would be able to use an OA against the warlock.

True, and I did consider that, but dismissed it as not entirely common. I don't realistically know how often that situation is going to occur.

Zurai

First Post
calypso15 said:
True, and I did consider that, but dismissed it as not entirely common. I don't realistically know how often that situation is going to occur.
Well, it's never going to occur since ranged basic attacks can't be used for OAs :p

But even if they could, it'd still be pretty rare. Warlocks don't tend to get into melee much.

Remove ads