D&D 5E So, how hard is it to kill PCs anyway?

In times Ive run i know that i probably err on making fights too easy most times, but I think I under estimate the ingenuity and resources of most players.

If you were to create a moderate cr fight for a tier 2+ fight, do you think you'd be able to kill them?

No traps, no special items. Just pure tactics and playing ruthlessly.

TPK. Lets not go half way about it :)

No does not matter.

In fact i have in the back of my head a campaign I want to run at some point where the pcs have already died. And everyime they die, they wake up again over and over in the same town. That is until they find a way out.

That one will be fun as i want to make that one deadly but also fair

neogod22

Explorer
TPK. Lets not go half way about it :)

No does not matter.

In fact i have in the back of my head a campaign I want to run at some point where the pcs have already died. And everyime they die, they wake up again over and over in the same town. That is until they find a way out.

That one will be fun as i want to make that one deadly but also fair
Well it gets difficult because you're dealing with a lot of hit points at this point. The CR of creatures are off in the MM, I think because they expect boss monsters should have minions but never really state that. The best way to kill characters is to have smart villains with minions that will use tactics like isolate party members to take out others. Or use hit and run tactics. The key is to wear down players spells or kill the spellcasters first.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

neogod22

Explorer
I think the key to TPK is not let the players rest, but don't let them know they can't rest until they try and take one.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

DRF

First Post
If you do what PCs do and focus fire, not very hard.

This is always difficult I find. If I focus fire a downed target while other PCs are alive and fighting, I might seem like a rude DM who just wants to murder. Typically I have monsters change targets once a character is down (unless he's isolated), but it does mean that PCs have an easy time helping their buddies... hmm

ad_hoc

(they/them)
In times Ive run i know that i probably err on making fights too easy most times, but I think I under estimate the ingenuity and resources of most players.

If you were to create a moderate cr fight for a tier 2+ fight, do you think you'd be able to kill them?

No traps, no special items. Just pure tactics and playing ruthlessly.

The mistake here is assuming 1 combat per long rest.

Remove ads