So how many coins fit in a...

nute

Explorer
This just reminds me how massive of an effect the institution of banking and letters of credit can have on a campaign. Even assuming all regions in a campaign accept the same coinage, what an absolute pain it must be to cart around these amounts of gold once you get to high levels.

Now the concept of investing in gems and converting cash to "denser" assets makes a lot of sense. 50gp = 1 pound, or one really neat gem that weighs a tenth of that. Sure, it's easier to lose and harder to convert (few merchants will make change for a diamond in most campaigns unless they're also running a jewelry shop) but for logistics alone it's useful.

I like how in Eberron, you have House Kundarak and House Sivis working together to establish a cross-continent banking system based on gold storage and unforgeable letters of credit. But in a campaign without banking, it's got to be a huge pain in the tuchus to cart around that 4,000gp for the local mage to make that masterwork sword of yours into an enchanted weapon.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Random Axe said:
AuraSeer, I get your point and I agree with you about encumbrance limits, but in point of fact, 576 cubic inches of gold, or 2300 gp, according to the 50gp per pound formula, is only 46 pounds, not 400.
Going by these rules of thumb for D&D coins, you're right. I calculated based on the density of the metal, and assumed no empty space in the container.

A cubic inch of gold weighs about 11 ounces, or 0.69 pounds. Multiply by the size of that chest you mentioned: 576 x 0.69 = 400 pounds.

Your number seems way off to me, probably because it's still based on 1E coinage. A 3E coin is 1/50 of a pound, and in gold that would be about 0.03 cubic inches. No matter how haphazardly you stack them, you'd get far more than 4 per cubic inch. (I think this number makes the gp slightly larger than a US dime, and Google tells me that one can get 45 dimes per cubic inch.)

Of course I'm assuming the coins are pure gold. If you use a 9ct alloy they'll weigh a bit more than half as much per volume-- which is the same as saying you'll get half as many per cubic inch.

Kieperr

First Post
Containers and Carriers - Dry Goods
Item Cost Empty Weight Holds or Carries
Backpack [1] 2 gp 2 lb. 1 cubic ft./60 lb.
Barrel [2] 2 gp 30 lb. 10 cubic ft./650 lb.
Basket 4 sp 1 lb. 2 cubic ft./20 lb.
Bucket [3] 5 sp 2 lb. 1 cubic ft./65 lb.
Chest 2 gp 25 lb. 2 cubic ft./200 lb.
Pouch, belt 1 gp 1/2 lb. 1/5 cubic ft./10 lb.
Sack [1] 1 sp 1/2 lb. 1 cubic ft./60 lb.
Saddlebags 4 gp 8 lb. 5 cubic ft./250 lb.
Spell component pouch [1] 5 gp 1/4 lb. 1/8 cubic ft./2 lb.

Liquids
Bottle, wine, glass 2 gp -- 1 1/2 pints/1.5 lb.
Flask 3 cp -- 1 pint/1 lb.
Jug, clay 3 cp 1 lb. 1 gallon/8 lb.
Mug/tankard, clay 2 cp -- 1 pint/1 lb.
Pitcher, clay 2 cp 1 lb. 1/2 gallon/4 lb.
Pot, iron 5 sp 2 lb. 1 gallon/8 lb.
Vial, ink or potion 1 gp -- 1 fluid ounce/--
Waterskin 1 gp -- 1/2 gallon/4 lb.

-- No weight worth mentioning
1. When made for Medium characters. Weighs one-quarter the normal amount when made for Small characters. Weighs twice the normal amount when made for Large characters. Containers carry one-quarter the normal amount when made for Small characters. Rations for small characters weigh one-quarter as much, but also contain only one-quarter of the food and cost one-quarter as much.
2. A barrel filled with liquid holds about 75 gallons or about 300 liters.
3. A bucket filled with liquid holds about 7 gallons or about 30 liters.

Hauling Vehicles
Cart 15 gp 200 lb. 1/2 ton
Sled 20 gp 300 lb. 1 ton
Wagon 35 gp 400 lb. 2 tons

A packhorse can carry one eighth of a ton.
A horse-drawn cart or wagon can carry five-eighths of a ton on soft roads, and up to two tons on a good road.
A barge pulled by a horse can carry 30 tons on a river or 50 tons on a canal.

This came from somewhere on the web and was created by one of the game designers.

Edit: Put some spaces in there somewhere. I don't know how to do that yet.

mvincent

Explorer
This Rules of the Game article gives carrying capacities for common containers. You would likely use the max weight (and 50 coins per lb.) rather than max volume, as coins are pretty heavy, and most backpacks would break if fully loaded with gold.

Note:
this Rules of the Game article says that 280 cubic feet of space (i.e. a portable hole) holds about 100,000 standard coins or 2,100 gallons of water (implying 357 coins per cubic foot, which seems far too low).

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
If my math is right and a gold piece is close to the size of a dime, then according to [url="http://home.att.net/~numericana/answer/trivia.htm#npg]this page[/url] we can fit about 10,000 to the gallon. That means it should take 21,000,000 (twenty one million!) gp to fill up a portable hole. Even with a lot of leeway for inefficient packing, that RotG article is off by more than a little bit.

Anyone care to check my work?

mvincent

Explorer
AuraSeer said:
that RotG article is off by more than a little bit.
Yeah. I seem to recall that being mentioned in an older thread. I only mentioned it here for completeness (i.e. it was the only WotC source that I found) but I did label it as incorrect. Thanks for the more correct estimates.

Note: I noticed a few (less major) calculation errors in the other article I mentioned also, but it still has useful information

Remove ads