So, I bet that the d12 is getting kicked to the curb...

Nyaricus

First Post
With 3rd edition, I recall the designers saying something to the effect of"we were almost done the core rulebooks when we realised we had almost written the d12 out of the game."

Now, with 4th edition on the horizon, is there any real incentive to keep the d12? It's a rather clunky di, and the progression from d4 > d6 > d8 > d10 and then d20 would really not miss the d12.

The d12 is rather like the ginger stepchild of a half-elven bard and a half-orc. It's redundant.

So, anyone else thinking that the d12 is going to say bye-bye to core D&D?

cheers,
--N

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Nah, they'll keep it around. I bet that a few more weapons will make use of it, maybe some spells too. Since casters will have lots of minor at will or /encounter effects, I wouldn't doubt there will be a few spells that do 1d12 damage or something like that. "I cast, Energy Axe!"

GSHamster

Adventurer
I wouldn't mind if they kicked the d4 to curb as well. It's annoying to read, and doesn't really "roll" well. It just kind of plunks down when you throw it.

cthulhu_duck

First Post
GSHamster said:
I wouldn't mind if they kicked the d4 to curb as well. It's annoying to read, and doesn't really "roll" well. It just kind of plunks down when you throw it.

The d4? Aka the caltrop of pain? Try standing on one in socks or bare feet.

Or putting a number of heavy books on one (say hello to punctured cover on soft covered books).

gothmaugCC

First Post
:uhoh: You never know, in an attempt to simplify the game some "brilliant" designer may have decided to yank all dice except the D20. All spells and weapons have fixed damages now, ala DnD miniatures :confused:

:] ;)

Gloombunny

First Post
But the d12 is the best die!

If they're going to drop any die I'd like to see the d10 bite it. Frickin' non-platonic solids. Who do they think they are.

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Gloombunny said:
But the d12 is the best die!

If they're going to drop any die I'd like to see the d10 bite it. Frickin' non-platonic solids. Who do they think they are.
Alternity dropped d10, actually; IIRC, it didn't fit in the probability pattern they wanted for the dice system.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases