So, I bet that the d12 is getting kicked to the curb...

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
gothmaugCC said:
:uhoh: You never know, in an attempt to simplify the game some "brilliant" designer may have decided to yank all dice except the D20. All spells and weapons have fixed damages now, ala DnD miniatures :confused:

:] ;)
Despite my rampant enthusiasm for 4e, that would turn my 4e-forum-reading time into homebrewing-my-ultimate-3.5-hack time. I've just recently bought another dozen 7-die polyhedral sets, am waiting on the shipping costs for my Q Workshop CoC dice, and I'm bidding on several of Q Workshop's Elvish Runes sets on eBay.

If they drop the polyhedrals, I'll drop the new edition. I love dice.

delericho

Legend
I have wondered whether they shouldn't drop all dice except the d6 and the d20 (and maybe the d10).

Certainly, if they're dropping any dice, the d12 is probably the first candidate, although I'm going to nominate the d% as well - explaining how those work to new players has never been as easy as it should be.

IceFractal

First Post
It's actually too bad the d12 doesn't get more use, because it rolls the best of any dice. Smoother than a d6, much more even than a d10, and less tendancy to roll long distances or land cocked than a d20.

The d4, on the other hand, doesn't even roll, you have to throw it, but that doesn't seem to keep it from being used.

ivocaliban

First Post
I use the d12 more for random hours and months and so on. After Dragon #340 I used it for the zodiac, giving all characters the initial "zodiac feat" for free. This gave them the option to take the other two zodiac feats that built off the first if they felt like it, but their "sign" was entirely random. (Of course if a player wanted to take a particular zodiac sign they could do so without rolling, but it wasn't a free feat.) Many of the random charts I make up tend to be built around the d12, just to give me an excuse to use it.

Ah, for the good ol' days when dopplegangers had ferocious maws...

Last edited:

Imp

First Post
I'm with IceFractal: The d4 can die die die but keep your little grubby paws far away from the beautiful, easy-rolling d12.

As a matter of fact here's a vote for replacing all d4s with re-marked d12s. That's right, say it with me if you know the words: the d12 should kill the d4 and take its stuff.

Zurai

First Post
I'd much rather they get rid of the d4, myself.

Amusingly, the only reason we even use d4's, d8's, and d12's today is that when the first editions of D&D were coming out, the only dice they could get cheap (to include with the game) were from a mathematics supplier, and they came in sets from d4 to d20.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
Frostmarrow said:
I want more dice. Can't they make use for the d16 already?

d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d16, d20. -See? It fits.

I wouldn't mind seeing the inclusion of the d16... only because I already have one :D

But really, if a die needs to be dropped, drop the d4, and then up the scale of everything. d4 to d6, d6 to d8, d8 to d10 and d10 to d12.

However, I don't think we're going to see a core change of the required dice.

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Imp said:
I'm with IceFractal: The d4 can die die die but keep your little grubby paws far away from the beautiful, easy-rolling d12.

As a matter of fact here's a vote for replacing all d4s with re-marked d12s. That's right, say it with me if you know the words: the d12 should kill the d4 and take its stuff.
They're not cheap, but you can get 12-sided dice labeled 1-4 (though I think they're actually pipped) 3 times over.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases