• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So I have the Martial Powers book.

Bagpuss

Legend
Can u give a little light in those ones? just curious to see what a fighter can do in -utilitie at will- basis ...
Other classes get some also?

The second level Utility At Will a fighter gets lets him move around an adjacent opponent without provoking OA from that opponent so long as he remains adjacent.

Rangers also get some none-1st level at-wills, I've not checked the other classes.

I'm seeing a lot of questions about the Warlord, I haven't got to that section yet, but I will try and answer those questions later tonight.

The Fighter's big class ability requires being adjacent, so I don't think having Ranged powers really accomplishes anything. If you want to shoot people, you're better off playing a Ranger. Javelins, Handaxes, and Throwing Hammers are plenty ranged enough for Mr. Fighter.

Warlord on the other hand, might be interesting with a few powers that work with ranged attacks, even if they are limited to heavy thrown weapons.

James McMurray

First Post
I can see lots of room for ranged attacks for the fighter. Something along the lines of a daily that let him make an OA with a heavy thrown weapon would be nice, as would anything that lets him knock an enemy prone at range.

I can see lots of room for ranged attacks for the fighter. Something along the lines of a daily that let him make an OA with a heavy thrown weapon would be nice, as would anything that lets him knock an enemy prone at range.

That isn't really what the Fighter does. What the Fighter does is to stand next to things and dominate them with Combat Superiority and Combat Challenge. The Fighter is fairly generic if you look solely at his powers, its these class features that make the Fighter special, and they emphatically do not work with ranged attacks. Choosing ranged powers as a Fighter is an incredibly weak choice as it ignores your most powerful abilities.

Again, if you want to be a ranged character, play a ranged character. The 4E Fighter class, aside from being able to use heavy thrown weapons when forced to, is not a ranged character.

I don't see why the title "Fighter" is so important to some people.

James McMurray

First Post
I'm not saying make a ranged focused fighter. I'm saying make a few options that let the fighter use his defender role at range. A 1/day ranged OA means he gets a huge bonus to hit, marks someone, and stops their movement even if they're a skirmisher with fly 10. A ranged attack that knocks someone prone means that if someone manages to unstick themselves he can knock them down and keep them nearby.

WalterKovacs

First Post
I'm not saying make a ranged focused fighter. I'm saying make a few options that let the fighter use his defender role at range. A 1/day ranged OA means he gets a huge bonus to hit, marks someone, and stops their movement even if they're a skirmisher with fly 10. A ranged attack that knocks someone prone means that if someone manages to unstick themselves he can knock them down and keep them nearby.

Once you get into scenarios involving flying monsters, etc ... the fighter is better off getting himself a mount that is able to hover, and thus getting himself next to the monsters.

They have shown the paragon path that enlarges the ability to make oas/combat challenge at reach. Also, multiclassing could give a fighter [especially one that may be going str/dex for use with the lightly armored tempest] access to ranged attacks that knock prone ... perhaps not str based though.

There is also the net/bola from the gladiator article. With the proper training, either of them will slow/immobilize a creature. And a flying creature unable to hover needs to move a certain ammount each turn to stay in the air.

Not to mention, the rest of the party can also help to bring someone down for the fighter to come after.

Any power/tactical choice that forgoes the use of Combat Challenge and Combat Superiority is inherently a weaker choice for a Fighter to take. A ranged attack forgoes those.

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
I realise there is a Beast Master build option now for the Ranger which assumes you are a melee Ranger.

Is having a Pet completely useless and pointless for a Ranger using a bow?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads