D&D 5E So Is The Dex Based Fighter Just Strictly Better?

GrumpyGamer

First Post
It is likely that the strength based fighter with GWF is better (compared to dex based TWF):
  • 5th level and higher he does more damage.
  • He has one less attack but does more damage per hit - possible dropping more enemies per turn.

The dex based fighter could be better with two weapons:
  • Higher initiative.
  • Better ranged attacks.
  • Feats might raise the damage.

Sword and board:
  • Str will have a higher AC.

What I like about 5e so far is that you can charop a bit, but at this point you are still going to be a viable character regardless of your system mastery.

Zardnaar

Legend
Note; STR fighters can get up to 21 AC with Plate + Shield + Defensive Fighting Style, and 19 AC with a 2h Weapon. Dex fighters seem to be more versatile, but STR fighters lay out the damage from my experience.

Also, breaking down doors and stuff ends up being STR, as does grapple / shove / etc; which has proven way more useful in play than I ever imagined.

Also, I assume there will be a DEX based magic item as well?

Dex based fighter can get to AC 20doing the same thing. The other thing to consider is medium armor aout right sucks for the most part as you do not even get the +1 AC bonus the heavy armor fighter gets.

THat is what it really boils down to +1 AC and str checks vs everything else dex does for you.

Dausuul

Legend
Str also get a higher DPR using GWF with a 2d6 blade. Dex based fighters outside of ranged attacks don't really have a sweet spot.
Dex-based dual wielders just about keep pace with GWF damage output through level 10. From level 11 onwards, however, they fall severely behind.

Cybit

First Post
Dex based fighter can get to AC 20doing the same thing. The other thing to consider is medium armor aout right sucks for the most part as you do not even get the +1 AC bonus the heavy armor fighter gets.

THat is what it really boils down to +1 AC and str checks vs everything else dex does for you.

Not sure? Unless you are thinking 1h sword and board dex fighter? (17 AC from light armor, +2 from shield, +1 from defense). The damage on that character would be low, alas. 2d6 vs 1d8. :/

GrumpyGamer

First Post
Dex-based dual wielders just about keep pace with GWF damage output through level 10. From level 11 onwards, however, they fall severely behind.

Splitting hairs and not taking into account feats TWF also falls behind Duelists at 11 level as well although the damage difference is trivial.

Unwise

Adventurer
Some of the discussion here about AC has been talking about the Dex fighter having 20 dex when comparing ACs. That is a pretty big assumption, feats are pretty awesome and the Str fighter has not had to trade his in for a stat boost to get his 20/21 AC.

On a side note, I am yet to play a Dex fighter as I am in love with Polearm Mastery for fighters. Hit -> Spring Attack to disengage -> OA when they close again is just good fun. The enemy start ignoring you after a while, so you swap to knocking them prone etc. I hope that feat makes it into the PHB.

Over all though, I do think that Dex fighters do compare very favourably and have a reason to max out their stats as opposed to going for feats.

From what I read of the Eldritch Knight I think that they might make interesting archers, maybe even Arcane Archers at higher levels.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Btw, 3e "solved" this issue, by just letting you add STR to damage, not DEX for finesse weapons or ranged attacks.

Naw it "solved" the issue by outright declaring strength more useful than dex, and even built in racial benefits and drawbacks to account for that declaration. Which was a bad solution in my opinion. It took later expansion books to try and "fix" dex based fighters, which just added to the constant increase in overall power as the game went on with expansion books.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Naw it "solved" the issue by outright declaring strength more useful than dex, and even built in racial benefits and drawbacks to account for that declaration. Which was a bad solution in my opinion. It took later expansion books to try and "fix" dex based fighters, which just added to the constant increase in overall power as the game went on with expansion books.
I agree, it didn't solve anything, it's why i said "solved". ;)

I do think exchanging STR for DEX as the best stat in 5e doesn't solve anything either. Although, the weapon selection you get with finesse-weapons is pretty limited. You either get the Rapier ... or... the Rapier. Not too exciting, so maybe some balance there?

Remove ads