D&D 5E So Is The Dex Based Fighter Just Strictly Better?

Zardnaar

Legend
As the title says. This is assuming you are not using a two handed weapon and are using a 16 dex at level 1 PC and a rapier or a 16 strength 1d8 one handed weapon as the other. Both fighters are using shields as well.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
It's easier than before to mitigate a low or average DEX with the use of heavy armor.

Your 16 DEX fighter:

AC 17 with light armor (studded leather, DEX, and shield)

AC 18 with medium armor (scale mail, 2 from DEX, and shield)

AC 18 with heavy armor (chain mail and shield)

It really doesn't make that much of a difference this time around.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's easier than before to mitigate a low or average DEX with the use of heavy armor.

Your 16 DEX fighter:

At low levels perhaps but that is only +1 AC. Dex based fighter gets.

+3 on dex saves, major save category
More dex based skills
dex to initiative
+3 to hit with ranged weapons.

And eventually they can get +5 at level 8 and the difference in AC 1 point, and their equipment is cheaper.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
+3 on dex saves, major save category
More dex based skills
dex to initiative
+3 to hit with ranged weapons.

The strength fighter is at his best wielding a two-handed weapon. But in the interests of comparing them, we'll leave them each dealing a d8 with a shield in the off-hand.

Better at strength checks. Perhaps not as critical as DEX saving throws, but knocking down obstacles can play a pretty big role in a game. I've seen a party without any strong characters, and it sorely impeded their abilities to navigate a dungeon under time pressure.

Strength saves and checks come up. In addition to knocking down obstacles, there are a few key spells (like Web) that require a strength check to escape. In addition, a number of monsters inflict conditions that require a strength check to escape (such as the gelatinous cube).

There may be more benefits to a dexterity fighter, but I don't think it's a wide enough gap to be concerned about. There are still reasons to play a strength fighter besides the purely aesthetic ones.

Blackbrrd

First Post

Your 16 DEX fighter:

At around level 2-3 I assume the STR-fighter has access to plate armor, so he gets AC 18+2 = 20.
The DEX-fighter still has AC 12+3+2 = 17
At level 4, the DEX fighter can increase DEX and get 18 AC
At level 6, the DEX fighter can increase DEX and get 19 AC

So, the DEX-fighter will lag 1-3 points of AC until level 6, and 1 point after that.

I still think that the DEX-fighter is more versatile, since he is better at archery and has a high initiative, has better reflex defense/initiative and so on. The STR-fighter most likely wants to increase his strength to increase to-hit chance and damage.

Capricia

Banned
Banned
20 strength--which is peak human for dnd characters now--means you can lift 600 lbs off the ground. The world record is 1015 lbs.

My change is that you increase the multiplier from 15 to 100 if you're strength is 15 or higher. Max out at 4,000 lbs. Ten times weaker than Spider-man, but still able to do some moderately useful things like lift a wagon off of someone.
'
That, and you can add half your strength modifier, rounded up, to constitution and dexterity saves.

20 strength--which is peak human for dnd characters now--means you can lift 600 lbs off the ground. The world record is 1015 lbs.

My change is that you increase the multiplier from 15 to 100 if you're strength is 15 or higher. Max out at 4,000 lbs. Ten times weaker than Spider-man, but still able to do some moderately useful things like lift a wagon off of someone.
'
That, and you can add half your strength modifier, rounded up, to constitution and dexterity saves.

Another fix might be to involve an Athletics check in some way, or add Athletics Proficiency bonus (or double Proficiency) as "faux-STR" for lifting purposes only. Pretty sure dudes who can lift 1000lbs+ are trained athletes!

jadrax

Adventurer

TBH, I have never been in a game where lifting dead weight has been that important, its the push/drag part that I would be focusing on modeling.

Capricia

Banned
Banned
TBH, I have never been in a game where lifting dead weight has been that important, its the push/drag part that I would be focusing on modeling.

Too true. My point was only that in a game where you can fly around like Superman, stomp the ground to cause a city-destroying earthquake, pull down meteors from space, change reality with a wish, teleport across planes of existence, mindrape people into being your slave, and stop time itself...it's a bit silly that your physical strength is capped at being half as strong as a weightlifter.

Remove ads