D&D (2024) So other Classes for the PHB are dead and gone yes?

Scribe

Legend
We had a thread here some time back, well many, about the Classes we would want in a new edition. Is that dream dead now with the "Class Groups"?

From the current UA we get Wizards current outlook.

Experts - Rogue, Bard, Ranger
Mages - Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Priests - Cleric, Druid, Paladin
Warriors - Barbarian, Fighter, Monk

And Artificer WOULD be an Expert, but is specifically noted as being in either Eberron, or Tasha's.

Warlord? Gish? Psionic? Is it time to just give up the dream on this, and hope they come in a supplemental product?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think the idea of classes beyond the familiar 12 in the PHB is dead, yeah. That said, I don’t think that means we won’t get a post-2024 revision of the Artificer or psion class or what have you in later supplements. Though, probably not a psion, I think the ship has sailed on that being a full class.

Scribe

Legend
Baby Reaction GIF

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I mean, expect vs hope, I guess. I was hoping we would see the three I listed, as I think they can fit into the framework of the existing classes without stepping on toes.
It wasn't exactly a conversation that involved WotC, so, yeah. It wasn't going to be anything but pipe dreams.

Amrûnril

Adventurer
I don't think anyone expected anything other than these 12 to be in the next PHB, did they?
The Articficer is the only full class thats been added since 2014. It's distinctive in terms of both mechanics and flavor (more so, I'd argue than a number of the PHB classes) and it expresses a flexible enough concept to work in a broad range of settings and support plenty of subclasses. I don't know it was seriously considered for inclusion in the next PHB, but it absolutely should have been.

Clint_L

Hero
Warlord? Gish? Psionic? Is it time to just give up the dream on this, and hope they come in a supplemental product?
Those seem more setting specific and this PHB is supposed to be an update of the current one, so I don't see new classes being offered. That would seem to contradict their stated intent.

I don't think it was ever realistic to think those would be PHB classes, but I could totally see them in a particular setting, like Planescape for Gish.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases