D&D (2024) So other Classes for the PHB are dead and gone yes?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Again, I remind folks that this is not a new edition. All of the existing sourcebooks are still in effect when the updated PHB comes out. It's still 5e. You can just keep playing your artificer from Tashas', so I don't think they necessarily see an updated artificer as a priority, since Tasha's just came out.

With the purchase of DNDB, I think an updated artificer wont be a priority but will be release by 2026.

If OneD&D isn't a new edition, then the conversion document for the old subclass will come out early. And therefore there will be a lot of more pressure to print new classes.

GDGD

microscopic
I feel like it's well-established that psionics is a subclass, not a class. So maybe we will see psionics in the PHB but as a subclass, or a handful of subclasses. Psion and soulknife maybe, as subclasses of wizard and rogue.

Clint_L

Hero
You've made claims like this, before, and I think there just isn't the evidence to support it. You may be right, but nothing in the playtests so far suggests this is true.
Other than the fact that WotC have said, repeatedly, that this is not a new edition, that everything is being designed to be backwards compatible with all of 5e, and every single test packet includes the instruction that all 5e material not specifically mentioned in the test packet is considered RAW? What more do you want? Seriously, what would convince you? Jeremy Crawford personally coming to your house to explain, since him doing so in a video clearly is not getting the job done?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I feel like it's well-established that psionics is a subclass, not a class. So maybe we will see psionics in the PHB but as a subclass, or a handful of subclasses. Psion and soulknife maybe, as subclasses of wizard and rogue.
That isn't true. Not even for 5e. What is established in 5e is that psionics is magic an can be a subclaass.

However due to unified spell lists, it is actually more likely more likely to see a psion class than a wizard psionic suclass in a future book as wizard will already have all Arcane spells.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Other than the fact that WotC have said, repeatedly, that this is not a new edition, that everything is being designed to be backwards compatible with all of 5e, and every single test packet includes the instruction that all 5e material not specifically mentioned in the test packet is considered RAW? What more do you want? Seriously, what would convince you? Jeremy Crawford personally coming to your house to explain, since him doing so in a video clearly is not getting the job done?
It's got nothing to do with what I want. But, as you know, the old subclasses don't all intersect with the new class structures, and vice versa.

Will you still be able to play old characters? Sure.
Will you still be able to use old subclasses with 2014 PHB classes? Sure.

Will you still be able to use old subclasses with the new PHB when it comes? I don't know, but given the playtest materials, the answer is no. Will you be able to adapt them? Sure. Work something out with your DM? Sure. Play them out the box? What we've been given says no.

I outlined what I assume "backwards compatible" means here. As I said there, I will be happy to be shown to be mistaken.

Aldarc

Legend
The 2024 PHB likely will just have the 12 2014 PHB classes.
Artificer will likely come in a new Ebberon book.
Swordmage/Gish might come in a new FR book.
Psion will likely come in a new Dark Sun book.
Warlord and/or Shaman might come in a new options book.
If you want a setting to sell a hypothetical Warlord class, may I recommend to you the Nentir Vale / Points of Light setting? ;)

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
Not having a single arcane half caster in the next edition is depressing.
so true.

Artificer should make the cut in next PHB or Duskblade as half caster.

A barbarian subclass with 1/3rd druid casting should also be in PHB.
or better yet 1/3 casters slightly improved to 2/5th casters so they get new spells every 5 levels instead of every 6 levels.
New spell levels at 3rd/6th/11th and 16th level. 4th level spell still the cap.

Also bards, druids, warlocks and sorcerers could be knocked down to 2/3rd casters and leave Cleric and Wizard as only full casters.
Add class features to compensate for lack of spells.

Remove ads