D&D (2024) So other Classes for the PHB are dead and gone yes?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
More like they're not trying very hard >.>
given how many sub-classes they will keep needing to make to sell for money I am surprised they do not just have an idea department combing the old texts, every culture and fantasy works just for ideas to put together so they have sufficient options to little down into the good ones.

I am technically qualified to have an opinion on asset development.
Yes. It really annoys me that we had the Mystic UA, but...nothing.
we had some dabbler classes but that does not fill the niche.
And the Mystic UA was just a misguided mess. it was WAY too big. I don't think a class play test needs to be more than 1 or 2 subclass.
it was the mass of two classes at the smallest and needed to be more clear in goals.

remind me, to ask my therapist to try to convince me to write a script for a video on the topic as I am more articulate over voice than text.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
More like they're not trying very hard >.>
No, it's fumes. It really feels more that they don't want to dig too hard into nostalgia in order to not seem basic. But most of their new concepts that aren't remakes or conversions barely scratch the crazy edge of the creativity sphere. This is due to most of the team being "new age" traditionalists and they mostly have the ideas they dream about already.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don't know if the Mystic died on the vine specifically because it was too big and with too many subclasses. Rather, I think it was because what that playtest packet was really about was testing a whole new mechanical system that wasn't spellcasting. So all the "subclasses" were there to exemplify and show the different ways this new system could be used... and had it been incorporated... many of them might very well have become their own classes within this Psionics system, rather than just one Class with a half-dozen subclasses. The same way spellcasting has a whole bunch of different classes that use the Spells system.

But I think what ended up being the issue was that enough people just said in their survey responses that they didn't want a whole new mechanical system on the whole. The system was just too separate from what the game already had but which accomplished the same function. The idea of having a Spells system and a Disciplines system-- both of which had characters doing the same exact things in-game except the players had to use different mechanics to do so... was just not embraced. After all... if a PC is going to get stronger via Psionics with a game result that matches a PC getting stronger via magic... why do we need two separate mechanics systems to accomplish it?

And I think once WotC realized more people didn't want a whole new game system introduced into D&D... the Mystic went away. And in the years since then the argument has always been whether or not its worth making a Psion class that uses Spells, since those that hate that idea REALLY hate that idea. And as a result, it's probably just better to not bother with a Psion class at all. If most people don't care and might not buy/use psionics rules anyway... and the small contingent who would care, and who would absolutely HATE what you'd be selling... better off just not bothering and instead let a 3PP on DMs Guild bite the bullet and produce a Psionics system with one or more Classes for it.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I don't know if the Mystic died on the vine specifically because it was too big and with too many subclasses. Rather, I think it was because what that playtest packet was really about was testing a whole new mechanical system that wasn't spellcasting. So all the "subclasses" were there to exemplify and show the different ways this new system could be used... and had it been incorporated... many of them might very well have become their own classes within this Psionics system, rather than just one Class with a half-dozen subclasses. The same way spellcasting has a whole bunch of different classes that use the Spells system.

But I think what ended up being the issue was that enough people just said in their survey responses that they didn't want a whole new mechanical system on the whole. The system was just too separate from what the game already had but which accomplished the same function. The idea of having a Spells system and a Disciplines system-- both of which had characters doing the same exact things in-game except the players had to use different mechanics to do so... was just not embraced. After all... if a PC is going to get stronger via Psionics with a game result that matches a PC getting stronger via magic... why do we need two separate mechanics systems to accomplish it?

And I think once WotC realized more people didn't want a whole new game system introduced into D&D... the Mystic went away. And in the years since then the argument has always been whether or not its worth making a Psion class that uses Spells, since those that hate that idea REALLY hate that idea. And as a result, it's probably just better to not bother with a Psion class at all. If most people don't care and might not buy/use psionics rules anyway... and the small contingent who would care, and who would absolutely HATE what you'd be selling... better off just not bothering and instead let a 3PP on DMs Guild bite the bullet and produce a Psionics system with one or more Classes for it.
that is depressing.

Remove ads