• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So that's it for 4th edition I guess?

VinylTap

First Post
I'm surprised there's not more talk about how the "4th ed" rules module will modify to the core Next system. I'm assuming it'll be a pretty extensive module, I wouldn't be surprise if there's some open-playtest support for that too. While the final rules are still a ways off, the direction they're taking next is starting to solidify.

C4

Explorer
I don't sub to insider anymore since they started breaking up the magazines into individual articles(half of which weren't even in magazine format, just put online), put the character builder online and inexplicably took down their game table . I love 4th edition, it's probably my favorite "iteration" (since wizards has a phobia of using the word edition now for whatever reason) of the game. Since menzoberranzan came out which wasn't a 4th edition supplement, despite using all the trappings of 4th edition, I haven't noticed any more material for 4th edition. Is it basically dead at this point? Is there a site and/or underground group dedicated to 4th edition fan based material now that enworld has consolidated their message boards? I'm sad that we didnt even get our DM guide 3 that focused on epic tier stuff. I guess focus has shifted towards the development of the next "iteration" of the game with no fanfare for 4th edition. It feels sickening to me how such a good game can just get cast off with no regard for it's fans (at least book wise, again I havent checked the online material since it started dropping off in quality and support in the past year+).
Don't let it get you down; like Li Shenron says, it ain't dead so long as we're playing it. As to continuing 4e fan support...

My Complete 4th Edition makes original 4e easily accessible even without DDI, and I've come across a couple 4e fan sites already.

Fourth Party
4e Yes! Adventures

Happy gaming!

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I don't sub to insider anymore since they started breaking up the magazines into individual articles(half of which weren't even in magazine format, just put online), put the character builder online and inexplicably took down their game table . I love 4th edition, it's probably my favorite "iteration" (since wizards has a phobia of using the word edition now for whatever reason) of the game. Since menzoberranzan came out which wasn't a 4th edition supplement, despite using all the trappings of 4th edition, I haven't noticed any more material for 4th edition. Is it basically dead at this point? Is there a site and/or underground group dedicated to 4th edition fan based material now that enworld has consolidated their message boards? I'm sad that we didnt even get our DM guide 3 that focused on epic tier stuff. I guess focus has shifted towards the development of the next "iteration" of the game with no fanfare for 4th edition. It feels sickening to me how such a good game can just get cast off with no regard for it's fans (at least book wise, again I havent checked the online material since it started dropping off in quality and support in the past year+).

It's a warning for those interested in D&D Next.

Expect the support to end abruptly at some point.

Happened with 3.0, 3.5, and now 4E.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer

If by "support" you mean "new content from the publisher who doesn't publish the game anymore," then... yeah, I expect that.

I see anything beyond the core products as just a bonus--I certainly don't consider it a major portion of what I'm buying. Am I alone in that?

Grimmjow

First Post

i see all the work they are going to to make it a game we like as a sign that they dont want to do this again. I hope and pray i am right of course :p

Raith5

Adventurer
I'm surprised there's not more talk about how the "4th ed" rules module will modify to the core Next system. I'm assuming it'll be a pretty extensive module, I wouldn't be surprise if there's some open-playtest support for that too. While the final rules are still a ways off, the direction they're taking next is starting to solidify.

I partly agree with this. I am still holding out hope that more room will made in DDN for 4th ed playstyles. I am not sure how realistic that is. The thing is that 4th ed was very different than previous editions and slayed a lot of sacred cows that needed to be slayed to produce more balance between classes, eliminated codzilla, stretched the sweet spot the game, and made the game playable at higher levels etc.

At any rate I have about two years to go in my 4th ed campaign, so as mentioned above, it will not be dead to me until then.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yes, 4e is dead. No new material will be forthcoming, and 3pp material for 4e can be nixed by WotC/Hasbro at any time under the GSL. 4e lost the edition war and has been destroyed, any pockets of guerilla resistance that may linger on after WotC shuts down the 4e tool and C&Ds any attempted retro-clones, notwithstanding.

This is, BTW, in stark contrast to all other editions of the game, which have d20 retro-clones aplenty, most notably, of course, 3.5 with Pathfinder.

Remove ads