• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So that's it for 4th edition I guess?

Evenglare

Adventurer
I don't sub to insider anymore since they started breaking up the magazines into individual articles(half of which weren't even in magazine format, just put online), put the character builder online and inexplicably took down their game table . I love 4th edition, it's probably my favorite "iteration" (since wizards has a phobia of using the word edition now for whatever reason) of the game. Since menzoberranzan came out which wasn't a 4th edition supplement, despite using all the trappings of 4th edition, I haven't noticed any more material for 4th edition. Is it basically dead at this point? Is there a site and/or underground group dedicated to 4th edition fan based material now that enworld has consolidated their message boards? I'm sad that we didnt even get our DM guide 3 that focused on epic tier stuff. I guess focus has shifted towards the development of the next "iteration" of the game with no fanfare for 4th edition. It feels sickening to me how such a good game can just get cast off with no regard for it's fans (at least book wise, again I havent checked the online material since it started dropping off in quality and support in the past year+).

NewJeffCT

First Post
I think 4E is going to go bye-bye, yes.

I think 4E did a lot of things well (DM prep time slashed, balancing classes better than 3E/3.5E, limiting the 15 minute adventuring day) but it lost the feel of D&D to me by changing too many sacred cows.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Is there a site and/or underground group dedicated to 4th edition fan based material now that enworld has consolidated their message boards?

I think the hope here is that all the 4e people who've been here will continue to be here (clicking on a 4e symbol shows just those posts if that's what you're interested in - four active threads today so far), but that you'll also participate in the discussions that are marked "All D&D" as well (another four active threads today so far).

And there are certainly some staunch 4e fans who post on the 5e threads.

Is it basically dead at this point?

It's small consolation, but 1e, 2e, 3e, and 3.5 are all officially dead too... but seem to still be trudging around this the Forum pretty well.... and seem to get more posts than the still living Pathfinder.

Last edited:

CAFRedblade

Explorer
4th ed. is pretty much a matured game system at this point. With 5th ed. in playtest, other than a few minor articles, or Dungeon adventures, it's pretty much done for support I believe.

The nice thing for adherents of 4th ed. is that hopefully the DDI character builder and monster builder will continue to be available..
Although I don't know if it'll get any further improvements. I can always hope, if anything as prep for the eventual digital game aids for 5th.

Although I enjoy 4th ed for what it is, particularly as a DM, I'm looking forward to something that hews closer to my nostalgic play experience of 2nd ed. with updated, cleaner rules.

Evenglare

Adventurer
It's really sad to see people say "it's a good game but didnt feel like D&D". Which (to me) means if this game were named anything else it would be doing amazing, but it didnt live up to my image of this game for nostalgia purposes so it should die because of that . I completely don't understand this line of thinking at all.

Grimmjow

First Post
4th ed. is pretty much a matured game system at this point. With 5th ed. in playtest, other than a few minor articles, or Dungeon adventures, it's pretty much done for support I believe.

The nice thing for adherents of 4th ed. is that hopefully the DDI character builder and monster builder will continue to be available..
Although I don't know if it'll get any further improvements. I can always hope, if anything as prep for the eventual digital game aids for 5th.

Although I enjoy 4th ed for what it is, particularly as a DM, I'm looking forward to something that hews closer to my nostalgic play experience of 2nd ed. with updated, cleaner rules.

they did say at one point that they plan to keep those available for 4e (i even think they said make them usable for older editions, though dont quote me on that.)

Evenglare

Adventurer
It's disheartening to also see the game hit it's stride but then cut off. You know what i'm talking about with the last couple of books , Heroes of the Feywild, and Heroes of the Elemental Chaos. There was a lot of really cool things that were made (such as the pixie race) , they were really starting to experiment with the system now that they knew exactly what they were dealing with but then it just got discarded. I guess it's that pesky GSL that's to blame as well...

NewJeffCT

First Post
It's really sad to see people say "it's a good game but didnt feel like D&D". Which (to me) means if this game were named anything else it would be doing amazing, but it didnt live up to my image of this game for nostalgia purposes so it should die because of that . I completely don't understand this line of thinking at all.

I think the opposite, though. If the game was not called D&D, it would have become one of those niche games with a loyal, but modest, following.

I DM'd a 4E campaign for two years, so I don't hate the system. It just felt a lot different than previous editions of D&D that I'd been playing since the late 70s.

Grimmjow

First Post

you go to a restaurant and order steak and they bring you out burger and say that its still meet and then go on about how the burger is in fact stake because it comes from the same animal and is prepared from the same person, wouldn't you disagree (probably not going to the restaurant ever again)? If you put a name n something people are going to expect that.

I for one liked 4e till my friends started playing pathfinder. I found that to have much more rollplaying opportunity and combat works SOOO much better.

Remove ads