So, Wandavision?

Ummm Neither Bucky nor Falcon mention D&D when discussing it in the clip over in the winter solider thread. For the purposes of the MCU, we have sorcerers and witches, no wizards.
Unless stated otherwise, fiction in the MCU is the same as in our world: The Dick van Dyke Show, Bewitched, The Hobbit and D&D. It stands to reason that Falcon, like most Americans of his generation, would use D&D as a point of reference for understanding "real world" magic.

Unless stated otherwise, fiction in the MCU is the same as in our world: The Dick van Dyke Show, Bewitched, The Hobbit and D&D. It stands to reason that Falcon, like most Americans of his generation, would use D&D as a point of reference for understanding "real world" magic.
assuming he played/knows about D&D, is there any indication that he's had any interaction with D&D or other RPGS? Has anyone actually identified themselves as a wizard as opposed to a sorcerer? All we have so far are Witches and Sorcerers.
Thus until someone self-identifies as a wizard, all we have are Sorcerers and Witches at least IMO.

MarkB

Legend
Indeed. Apart from the hats.

But in the MCU there is a distinction between sorcerers and witches (and who knows how many other magic wielders?).
I don't think there's a particular distinction in terms of capabilities and power source. I expect Doctor Strange could learn and cast the same spells Agatha does, and vice versa, for instance.

The only real distinction is which group originally trained them, and what they choose to call themselves.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I think the destinction between sorcerers and wizards exists only in D&D. To the rest of the world, they are one and the same.
I think "sorceror" has a more negative connotation than "wizard", broadly speaking. I'd wager that most people hear "sorceror" and think they're probably up to no good - moreso than when they hear "wizard".

MarkB

Legend
I think "sorceror" has a more negative connotation than "wizard", broadly speaking. I'd wager that most people hear "sorceror" and think they're probably up to no good - moreso than when they hear "wizard".
Look at Star Wars, for example. Ben Kenobi is introduced as "that wizard is just a crazy old man", whereas Vader is challenged by an Imperial officer who's foolish enough not to be intimidated by his "sorcerous ways".

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I think there are much stronger alternative possibilities:
The Lord of the Rings movies. Gandalf was a wizard, he wore a hat.
People mostly know what a wizard's hat is - but anyone ever heard of a sorcerer's hat outside of Disney's Fantasia (1940)?

Without an explicit reference to D&D or a lot more evidence, I don't think it stands to reason that Falcon or even most Americans of his generation would use D&D as a point of reference for understanding real world magic.

I don't think there's a particular distinction
There is a very strong visual distinction:
1615825052670.png
1615825279340.png

Remove ads