So, Wandavision?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Paul Bettany, Jan 2021:
“I work with this actor that I've always wanted to work with and we have fireworks together, the scenes are great and I think people are going to be really excited. I've always wanted to work with this guy and the scenes are pretty intense.”

.....mf was talking about himself, wasn't he

MarkB

Legend
So, on the one hand this establishes that Agatha is a bad person, at least by the standards of her coven. "I can be good." "No, you can't."

On the other hand, it also establishes that Wanda was indeed responsible for the Hex and everything in it all along - Agatha's had some influence here and there, and her understanding of magic far exceeds Wanda's, but in terms or raw power she's small fry compared to Wanda's industrial-scale talent, and her interference through the series has been mostly directed toward trying to get Wanda to face up to reality. Which leaves both Agatha and Wanda in an interestingly morally-ambiguous position.

Agatha's motivations aren't actually that bad - she recognises Wanda as a serious potential threat to the world around her, and wants to stop her. It's just that her methods are likely to be ruthless - she's already holding Wanda's kids hostage, and isn't averse to murdering people in order to acheive her goals.

Meanwhile Wanda is motivated by a need to hold onto Vision, and seems to have genuinely re-created him as an individual, even if one only able to be sustained within the Hex. But her methods are holding hundreds of people prisoner within their own bodies, and she seems to have been running largely on instinct, with no clear endgame in sight.

I'm still rooting for Wanda in that confrontation, but it's not straightforward.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Agatha's motivations aren't actually that bad - she recognises Wanda as a serious potential threat to the world around her, and wants to stop her. It's just that her methods are likely to be ruthless - she's already holding Wanda's kids hostage, and isn't averse to murdering people in order to acheive her goals.
I got the impression from the first scene in Agatha's basement that her interest in Wanda's magic was more rooted in envy than in anything altruistic. She seemed frustrated that Wanda could do things (wide-range mind control, easy transmutation, "magic on autopilot") that she wasn't able to do, despite her sacrifices and centuries gaining power.

Davies

Legend
So, on the one hand this establishes that Agatha is a bad person, at least by the standards of her coven. "I can be good." "No, you can't."
I think the two best indications of her morality are one that is explicitly shown, and one that isn't. After the coven die -- and I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that this wasn't something she wanted to happen, but something she could not prevent -- she ambles over to her mother's corpse and robs it. The other is her desire to know how Wanda accomplished what she did, asking "What's the trick?" It never even occurs to her that Wanda's grief could have allowed her to access more power than she consciously understands ... because Agatha doesn't know what grief is.

I suspect that her goal, in all of this, is to get Wanda angry enough that she'll attack her, like the coven did, so that she can do to her as was done to them. In other words, the good intentions are an excuse -- she's just hungry.

Wishbone

Paladin Radmaster
I think the two best indications of her morality are one that is explicitly shown, and one that isn't. After the coven die -- and I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that this wasn't something she wanted to happen, but something she could not prevent -- she ambles over to her mother's corpse and robs it. The other is her desire to know how Wanda accomplished what she did, asking "What's the trick?" It never even occurs to her that Wanda's grief could have allowed her to access more power than she consciously understands ... because Agatha doesn't know what grief is.

I suspect that her goal, in all of this, is to get Wanda angry enough that she'll attack her, like the coven did, so that she can do to her as was done to them. In other words, the good intentions are an excuse -- she's just hungry.
You think Agatha is like the shark in the yogurt commercial?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
You think Agatha is like the shark in the yogurt commercial?
I didn't before, but since Agatha definitely showed a "power absorption" motif in the coven scene, I'm definitely leaning towards that interpretation now. With only one episode left, Agatha being a cover for something bigger and badder seems less likely.

Remove ads