So, Wandavision?

Omand

Hero
Oh, and as a follow up to my own post. If the Fantastic Four are being subtly introduced into the MCU via WandaVision then I think it is through the offhand comment by Hayward that he still has astronauts out in the space to be recovered after the blip.

Pretty sure that this was brought up before, but I cannot find the post at the moment.

Cheers :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, earlier in the thread, some viewers thought that comments Monica made about contacting an astrophysicist were a reference to bringing Reed Richards and the Fantastic Four in the MCU.

Sorry - she referred to contacting an "aerospace engineer".

Especially since Darcy Lewis is herself an astrophysicist, and Jane Foster's former student. Calling in Jane that way would be kinda awkward. "Sorry, Darcy, but you aren't awesome enough. We need your mentor, but we won't name her in front of you..."

In the most recent episode, Rambeau mentioned meeting up with "my guy". Women don't usually refer to other women as guys. We can probably expect it to be a man... though he might well have, say, three others in tow, ready to be exposed to the barrier and get powers, just like it looks like Monica has....

Last edited:

Omand

Hero
Sorry - she referred to contacting an "aerospace engineer".

Especially since Darcy Lewis is herself an astrophysicist, and Jane Foster's former student. Calling in Jane that way would be kinda awkward. "Sorry, Darcy, but you aren't awesome enough. We need your mentor, but we won't name her in front of you..."

In the most recent episode, Rambeau mentioned meeting up with "my guy". Women don't usually refer to other women as guys. We can probably expect it to be a man... though he might well have, say, three others in tow, ready to be exposed to the barrier and get powers, just like it looks like Monica has....
Umbran,

You are right, I misremembered the line.

Which might indeed still point us to the Fantastic Four. We shall see this week hopefully.

Omand

Hero
Oh, one last thing on the Darcy point.

I know that they have referred to Darcy as an Astrophysicist in WandaVision, but I think that might be one of the in-jokes for the show.

When Darcy was introduced in Thor, she was Jane's intern, yes, but with an English Lit degree if I recall correctly (I just rewatched the film about two weeks ago, but I do not remember the exact line). She was the only one to apply for the internship. In Thor: The Dark World, she is still Jane's intern, with an "intern" of her own who again appears to not have any science background.

Not saying that Darcy could not have totally changed her field of studies and earned a legitimate PhD in astrophysics (or maybe just an undergrad or Masters'), but I do not think we have had enough time in-universe for that to be true (even with the time stretch).

That said, it could be a MCU hand-wave.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not saying that Darcy could not have totally changed her field of studies and earned a legitimate PhD in astrophysics (or maybe just an undergrad or Masters'), but I do not think we have had enough time in-universe for that to be true (even with the time stretch).
She had a political science degree. Thor: The Dark World is set in 2013. The current Marvel timeline is our year +5 (the jump forward after the snap), so it's 2026. I'm pretty sure 13 years is long enough to get a PhD!

Omand

Hero
Looks like I am behind on the timeline.

Yes, 13 years would be enough. Especially if she did her work in the UK or EU (UK is more likely with Jane being at University of London as of Thor: The Dark World) where it is much easier to skip directly from an undergrad degree to Doctoral studies, and where the North American general standard of 6-7 years for a PhD is compressed down to 3-4 based upon differences in the system.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That said, it could be a MCU hand-wave.
Eh. Every mention of science in the MCU is a hand-wave. I mean, hasn't it struck you that they're ALL astrophysicists? Even those who are not dealing at all with stars and space? Apparently, they think "astro-" means "extra-"

Remove ads