So, Wandavision?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There is a very strong visual distinction:
View attachment 134232View attachment 134233
Very very bad comparison, but also a very different type of magic being employed. Strange could definitely use chaos magic, and there is no reason to think Wanda couldn’t learn the magic Strange uses, they just learned magic from very different sources, but it’s all learnable.

But more importantly, in marvel they’re all sorcerers. Strange is the Sorcerer Supreme, Wizard isn’t really a term used in the MCU, and witch seems to mean a cultural difference and a difference of approach, but it isn’t super clear yet because they haven’t dove into exposition on the subject yet.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
It seemed to me that Falcon was brushing aside the differences. To him, both Wizards and Sorcerers are both just folks who use magic, with minor differences in presentation. Bucky was having a nerd moment and Falcon was saying, ”Dude, I don’t care”.
TomB

Very very bad comparison,
Best pics I could find. Couldn't find anything of Agatha slinging spells, but it's pretty much the same as Wanda but purple. No drawing runic circles in the air.
but also a very different type of magic being employed. Strange could definitely use chaos magic
I'm pretty sure only a scarlet witch, or someone who steals the powers of a scarlet witch, can use chaos magic. If anyone could use it Wanda wouldn't be important. That's kinda the point.
, and there is no reason to think Wanda couldn’t learn the magic Strange uses
Sorcery is learnable by anyone.

doctorbadwolf

Best pics I could find. Couldn't find anything of Agatha slinging spells, but it's pretty much the same as Wanda but purple. No drawing runic circles in the air.

I'm pretty sure only a scarlet witch, or someone who steals the powers of a scarlet witch, can use chaos magic. If anyone could use it Wanda wouldn't be important. That's kinda the point.
No, it isn’t. At all. On any level. The idea with her magic is that she does it naturally, without any knowledge, not that only she can do that type of magic. Agatha wants her power, not her...access to a dangerous type of magic.
Sorcery is learnable by anyone.
And multiple witches have been shown learning magic, including from the tradition of magic Strange practices.

The terms are not as distinct in the MCU as they are in D&D .

Last edited:

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I did. Did you? She wants Wanda’s raw power, just like what she drained from her coven. 🤷‍♂️
Right. We're not given any reason to think Agnes' plan is flawed, so the power she was sucking out of Wanda was her innate chaos magic power. Agnes' figured that power combined with her skill and experience would make her incredibly powerful.

doctorbadwolf

Right. We're not given any reason to think Agnes' plan is flawed, so the power she was sucking out of Wanda was her innate chaos magic power. Agnes' figured that power combined with her skill and experience would make her incredibly powerful.
Yep. Draining Wanda's power would have made her unimaginably powerful, on top of her hundreds of years of experience and knowledge.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
There is a very strong visual distinction:

The magic used by the Masters of the Mystic Arts is very distinctive in as much as it uses particular Tao Mandala to defend and contain spells. That does not however mean that all Scorcerers in the MCU use mandala.

Of the other spell users we’ve seen Loki, Hela and Ghost Rider* (AoSHEILD) they do not use Mandala, The known witches including Wanda, Agnes, Agnes’ Mother/Coven, Thors mother, Morgana Le Fay and Tina and Nico Minoru also do not use Mandala.

That just tells us we dont have enough data to identify exactly what a Scorcerer is in the MCU

The magic used by the Masters of the Mystic Arts is very distinctive in as much as it uses particular Tao Mandala to defend and contain spells. That does not however mean that all Scorcerers in the MCU use mandala.

Of the other spell users we’ve seen Loki, Hela and Ghost Rider* (AoSHEILD) they do not use Mandala, The known witches including Wanda, Agnes, Agnes’ Mother/Coven, Thors mother, Morgana Le Fay and Tina and Nico Minoru also do not use Mandala.

That just tells us we dont have enough data to identify exactly what a Scorcerer is in the MCU

Some of those are not canon, though, specifically all the ones from a TV series that is not Disney+ and from movies not co-produced by Marvel.

Remove ads