So what are you reading this year 2021?

Ryujin

Legend
I just received my copy of the "Fartherall Companion", by Matt Vancil (writer of "The Gamers" series of movies, JourneyQuest, etc.). This is going to take quite a while to read through. It's a comprehensive "world bible" for the universe in which Matt's works are set. It covers 9 ages of the world, the various races, politics, cosmology.... AND it's 458 pages long!

I'll be a while. Please hold my calls.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Last year I started listening to every book of the Dresden Files, read by James Marsters. I managed to read all the novels except Battle Ground (book 347 of the series), and right now I’m listening to Side Jobs, then I will go back to the next novel.

When my wife is done with it, I’ll read Harrow The Ninth, sequel to Gideon The Ninth, which was one of the best sci-fantasy books I’ve ever read.

I also have Graveyard Boys waiting for me on audible.

I also listened to Ysabel last year, and have a powerful need to listen to more GG Kay this year, but I also need to finish the delightful Darker Shade of Magic series...

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I'm reading old Eberron novels for myself, and once I finish this trilogy I'm going to catch up on various China Mieville books I've purchased but never read. Maybe I'll even get to that several-year-old Dying Earth omnibus.

When it comes to bedtime reading for my 7yo, we're almost halfway through Dragons of Winter Night and going strong. The kid absolutely loves the story and my poor spouse no longer even gets a turn reading (we used to trade off who read each night, with different books) since the demand for Dragonlance is so high.

It's pretty cool.

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I've got...a considerable number of books around. And my gf has friends who a) run an independent bookstore (hybrid of new & used books), and b) might be downsizing. I'm not looking to buy them out or take over their business directly (they're in north-central PA; I'm in New Hampshire and OMG we are STARVED for good used bookstores here), but seriously looking into it something bookstore-related is on my list for 2021. I live near Concord NH. Capitol city. Very nice. No used bookstores. Two bookstores total. The downtown one I used to work at is now a bagel place. I've been toying with the idea of doing something mobile. Much cheaper to get a street vendor license than a storefront. And if I could set up in front of, or near, the state house a couple days a week it'd be gold.

Edit: I'm not rich, and the startup costs of a business terrify me. Plus, I'm not overly "business-minded", so starting small and minimizing costs are key. I'm at least going to hit flea markets and the like this year, selling some of what I have around (both books and other).

Edit edit: And as long as I'm rambling, I was in Manchester VT the other day (meeting my ex to get my daughter) and wandered into the Manchester Woodcraft store. Almost died from envy. Woodshop in one part of the building, store in the other. Nothing in the store I couldn't make. I might want that more than a bookshop. (Incidently, the name Wicked Good Books is TAKEN by some place in Salem MA and I'm most wroth about it.)
I'm pretty much at the other end of the US, in the Santa Barbara CA area. We've got 3 used bookstores in town (one is a hybrid). I managed then owned a comic/game store for 12 years, so I can do retail... But for my dream, I'll need 3 solid managers - one for each segment of my stores.

I've got it all planned out, except where I'll source the ~$1M or so needed to get this thing started :cool:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I've got...a considerable number of books around. And my gf has friends who a) run an independent bookstore (hybrid of new & used books), and b) might be downsizing. I'm not looking to buy them out or take over their business directly (they're in north-central PA; I'm in New Hampshire and OMG we are STARVED for good used bookstores here), but seriously looking into it something bookstore-related is on my list for 2021. I live near Concord NH. Capitol city. Very nice. No used bookstores. Two bookstores total. The downtown one I used to work at is now a bagel place. I've been toying with the idea of doing something mobile. Much cheaper to get a street vendor license than a storefront. And if I could set up in front of, or near, the state house a couple days a week it'd be gold.

Edit: I'm not rich, and the startup costs of a business terrify me. Plus, I'm not overly "business-minded", so starting small and minimizing costs are key. I'm at least going to hit flea markets and the like this year, selling some of what I have around (both books and other).

Edit edit: And as long as I'm rambling, I was in Manchester VT the other day (meeting my ex to get my daughter) and wandered into the Manchester Woodcraft store. Almost died from envy. Woodshop in one part of the building, store in the other. Nothing in the store I couldn't make. I might want that more than a bookshop. (Incidently, the name Wicked Good Books is TAKEN by some place in Salem MA and I'm most wroth about it.)
That book kiosk sounds cool. Have you seen those "take a book, leave a book" boxes on people's sidewalks? You could even have a small one of those in your shop, for those newer/best selling/cheap paperback type titles, too, possibly.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Started Tales From The Dying Earth..... hard to embrace after the higher quality of writing i just finished, but I'll get into it eventually....

I finished reading the Battle of Salamis. A wonderful account of that pivotal conflict. Next up is Fritz Leiber's The Swords of Lankhmar. I went years without realizing I had a hole in my Fafhrd & Grey Mouser collections somehow, so I'm looking forward to reading some all-new-to-me content.

I'm reading Alas, Babylon again,as part of my nuclear war/world war 3 kick. After i finish it,i'll read Ready Player Two. Also picked up the PHB for 5th.

One book/series I read during my kick was the Computerized Attack/Defense System series. It's currently 8 books on kindle. It has a typical 80s action b movie feel. The suits are like the description of the mobile infantry suits from Starship troopers,but with the long list of capabilities that the Ironman suit has. As the series goes on it starts to break my suspension of disbelief. The first book was okay,but it starts to break down towards book 3 and on.

hawkeyefan

Legend
So the last couple of years my reading has really fallen off. I used to read a good amount. But then I had kids.

Not entirely fair to blame it all on the kids, though. My phone has been a real distraction for a while, and I’ve also been reading a lot of RPG books.

But I want to get back to reading more novels.

I’m currently wrapping up Joe Hill’s “NOS4A2”. It’s solid and entertaining. Very much like his father’s work but with a bit more modern of a voice.

Once I’m done with that, I need to catch up on my Joe Abercrombie. So “Red Country” will be next. I need to read that (finally) before I can start the new trilogy (I have both books already).

Then “Perdido Street Station” will follow. My wife got it for me for Christmas. My reading of China Mieville is limited to some of his comic work and I’ve meant to get to this book for some time, but for some reason my local B&N never had a copy.

We’ll see. I used to be able to bang out a couple decent sized books like these in a few weeks. Hopefully, it won’t be July and I post how I’m halfway through Red Country.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases