D&D 5E So what exactly is Wizards working on?

gweinel

Explorer
I am also wondering why they don't publish the AL adventures. You see the dnd players crave for adventures, especially for short ones. And what we see: 2 big adventure paths get published and 12 and 16 short adventures (loosely tied the APs) are created only for organized play. I can see the reasoning to promote AL but in comparisson with the whole of adventure production organized adventures seems to be over-prioritized.
It is pitty because I would buy and use some of these adventures.
Anyway, just my thoughts.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
I think their plan is to bring in new blood with AL, a next gen of players.

Unfortunately, our 3 FLGS have over the years have: 1) gone solely to CCGs, 2) gone solely to comics, or 3) focused on tabletop and gone out of business. The local store that went CCGs was the big winner, they are called Star City Games and they turned into an absurdly successful Magic the Gathering juggernaut. Star City was a typical tiny local FLGS selling selling D&D and anime back in the day.

Anyway, I'm a bit off topic. Point is, FLGS seem to be dying or reinventing themselves. There's no nearby FLGS and I have already have a steady gaming group and a pretty slick gaming room. So AL does me no good. I have to be reminded that AL even is a thing.
I just checked Wizards locator to with in a 100 mile radius of me and there is one shop that does AL and it's about 36 miles away. Everything else is strictly Magic.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
I am also wondering why they don't publish the AL adventures. You see the dnd players crave for adventures, especially for short ones. And what we see: 2 big adventure paths get published and 12 and 16 short adventures (loosely tied the APs) are created only for organized play. I can see the reasoning to promote AL but in comparisson with the whole of adventure production organized adventures seems to be over-prioritized.
It is pitty because I would buy and use some of these adventures.
Anyway, just my thoughts.

I would bet you there are more home games than AL games going on. Doesn't make sense to only have them for AL.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I would bet you there are more home games than AL games going on. Doesn't make sense to only have them for AL.
My situation may be unusual, but, in my area, there's not one but 3 FLGS's, and, while there are 4e, 3.5, Pathfinder, FATE, and even Gamma World home games going on, the 5e is all Encounters and AL - and mostly at the FLGS I frequent (all three are also heavily CCG, one of the others is more Pathfinder than D&D).

The folks who play AL, BTW, seem /really/ enthused about the program, the way their characters are portable from table to table, the way they earn exp, renown, and registered magic items, and the shared story lines of the AL adventures that they can discuss with anybody in the program, whether they've ever gamed together or not. It's encouraging.

Oh jeez, not this thread again.

I'll ask you once more - what would it change if the answer is "nothing"? Would you quit playing 5E?

Start wrestling with the answer to that question, since "Princes of the Apocalypse" is all they are prepared to share with you at this time.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
attachment.php

Last edited:

Manchu

First Post
Having attended GenCon last year, Wizard's goes all out with their D&D releases, they had a massive launch party for 5e last year, elven DJ's, crowns of Tiamat and poster giveaways, bronzebottom ale, and lots and lots of food trucks.
I was there. There was a tent with some cosplayers. The foodtrucks ... I don't think that was just a WotC thing. In fact, GenCon was a huge letdown for me in terms of it being the launch of 5E. WotC felt barely present. They didn't even have anything set up in the vendor hall.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
My situation may be unusual, but, in my area, there's not one but 3 FLGS's, and, while there are 4e, 3.5, Pathfinder, FATE, and even Gamma World home games going on, the 5e is all Encounters and AL - and mostly at the FLGS I frequent (all three are also heavily CCG, one of the others is more Pathfinder than D&D).

The folks who play AL, BTW, seem /really/ enthused about the program, the way their characters are portable from table to table, the way they earn exp, renown, and registered magic items, and the shared story lines of the AL adventures that they can discuss with anybody in the program, whether they've ever gamed together or not. It's encouraging.

That's great but still doesn't change the fact that a lot of people do not have that.

Once again, Wizards is not stretched that thin to where they need to focus most of their energy to AL.

Remove ads