• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So what exactly is Wizards working on?

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Feel free to apply my statement to everyone whose feeling matches yours. All evidence suggests the same applies. They don't want any of your money because they don't want to spent the time, money and energy to produce what you're looking for.

Probably because they money they'd get in return from you folks wouldn't cover the hassle to produce it at the rate you're looking for.

LOL!

You seem sure of yourself don't ya? You don't know what Wizards needs. If they didn't need the money then they wouldn't bother putting out a new edition.

You aren't making a bit of sense to be honest. Have you ever thought that maybe Wizards has gotten it wrong again?

Wouldn't be the first.

Reynard

Legend
Feel free to apply my statement to everyone whose feeling matches yours. All evidence suggests the same applies. They don't want any of your money because they don't want to spent the time, money and energy to produce what you're looking for.

Probably because they money they'd get in return from you folks wouldn't cover the hassle to produce it at the rate you're looking for.

I think it is worth noting that, assuming you're right, this would be the first edition where that is the case. Every edition, including OD&D, was driven by a steady supply of materials to support the core rules and engage customers and players. If it is the case that 5E exists only to maintain the IP and license it off, I imagine that a) no matter how good the game is (and 5E is great D&D IMO) it will fail, and b) the D&D IP is not going to be worth what Hasbro wants it to be worth.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
I don't understand the logic here. The fact that (for ex) I know Occult Adventures is coming in July for Pathfinder doesn't figure into my decision about whether to buy The Pathfinder Strategy Guide this month.

I'm right there with you. I don't get it either.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
For all those who keep posting that WotC does not care about us moaning, keep in mind they don't care about our praise either. I think everyone regularly posting on a forum like EnWorld is the demographic WotC is least concerned about now that 5E has gone to print and has proven well received.

Probably not much. I figure that what they care about is people playing the game. In whatever capacity they choose to-- organized play, home games, Roll20 online games, using modules from other editions, using adventures from other companies, so on and so forth. So long as you are playing D&D and enjoying playing D&D and Wizards of the Coast is willing to subsidize the D&D department as necessary to make sure people have the capability to play D&D...

...that's all that matters.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Probably not much. I figure that what they care about is people playing the game. In whatever capacity they choose to-- organized play, home games, Roll20 online games, using modules from other editions, using adventures from other companies, so on and so forth. So long as you are playing D&D and enjoying playing D&D and Wizards of the Coast is willing to subsidize the D&D department as necessary to make sure people have the capability to play D&D...

...that's all that matters.

They care about the money. Wizards exists to make money. They couldn't give a rats arse if you are playing any version of D&D except for the current one.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
LOL!

You seem sure of yourself don't ya? You don't know what Wizards needs.

I am looking at the evidence and making an educated deduction from said evidence.

They have said that releasing product at the rate they did in 3E and 4E was not good for them. So they are slowing down their releases. Which they are doing.

Ipso facto... they do not seem to need the money they would have gotten from a more ambitious release schedule.

If they didn't need the money then they wouldn't bother putting out a new edition.

Possibly. Or they felt that the game they currently had on the market at the time (4E) did not have enough legs to support a slower release schedule even if they had decided to slow down. They had already released all the product that could sustain things.

So they make and release a new edition (getting people to buy and play it) and then slow down the release schedule on the new one instead. Makes logical sense to me.

You aren't making a bit of sense to be honest. Have you ever thought that maybe Wizards has gotten it wrong again?

Nope. Because if it is as you say... that they've "gotten it wrong again"... that would have to mean that they were wrong the first time with a fast release schedule of 3E/4E AND are wrong with a slow release schedule of 5E. That is illogical. Thus apparently the only release schedule they could have that would be "right" to you would be the one that YOU PERSONALLY think is correct.

And I'm sorry Sailor Moon... but what you want is not what is "right".

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
They care about the money. Wizards exists to make money. They couldn't give a rats arse if you are playing any version of D&D except for the current one.

And you know that how? And that explains why they released all their old edition content on dndclassics.com how?

And you know that the money that comes into WotC from D&D is what drives them forward with more D&D product how? How did you divine all this information? Or is it merely what you assume is the case because there can be no other explanation in your mind that if there is money out there, then you do whatever it takes to grab it as soon as you can?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think it is worth noting that, assuming you're right, this would be the first edition where that is the case. Every edition, including OD&D, was driven by a steady supply of materials to support the core rules and engage customers and players. If it is the case that 5E exists only to maintain the IP and license it off, I imagine that a) no matter how good the game is (and 5E is great D&D IMO) it will fail, and b) the D&D IP is not going to be worth what Hasbro wants it to be worth.

Maybe. But I personally believe that WotC knows better than you do what will be required to maintain their IP.

So you can claim it will fail all you want. But you will not convince me you know it more than the D&D department of WotC does.

neobolts

Explorer
Why are you worried about whether WotC will miss out on your money? Do you routinely complain that the manufacturer of your recently purchased refrigerator isn't selling add-on drawers and additional ice-maker options after six months? Do you buy a new car and find yourself worrying about Ford's long term prospects because they're not taking the opportunity to sell you new decals, hood ornaments and bumper stickers every month?

These comparisons aren't quite fair. This is more like your favorite band not putting out a new album as often as you'd like, or your favorite chef not trotting out new dishes as often as you want.

I'm also baffled why there isn't anything on the release schedule past PotA. Even if it were a single module with a name and a single paragraph teaser that's coming Q1 2016. Something. Anything. PAX East came and went with no razzle dazzle. I think I'm coming from a different place than OP though. I'm a fanboy eager to geek out over what they are cooking up. :cool: OP seems to be putting out an acrimonious vibe, although that may not be their intent. (And OP started a very similar thread to this one a few weeks ago.)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Have you ever thought that maybe Wizards has gotten it wrong again?

Wouldn't be the first.

Indeed. The question becomes, who is more probable to be wrong? WoTC, or random upset forum guy?

I shall enter my cave of analytics and ponder that question.

Or just play the damn game with my friends and have fun. One of the two.

Remove ads