• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So what exactly is Wizards working on?

Manchu

First Post
Focusing on AL instead of home games is a bad move. I know loads of people who are no where near a store that does AL.

Funny how Paizo is able to give full focus on Pathfinder Society as well as put out loads of product.
Paizo has to work hard. They are trying to sell RPG products, not a brand license.
That's great but still doesn't change the fact that a lot of people do not have that.
Or even want it, for that matter.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Oh jeez, not this thread again.

I'll ask you once more - what would it change if the answer is "nothing"? Would you quit playing 5E?

Start wrestling with the answer to that question, since "Princes of the Apocalypse" is all they are prepared to share with you at this time.
Why are you worried about whether I quit playing or not? The fact is I could continue to keep playing but I never buy another WoTc product again. I could turn more to Paizo for adventures and continue to give them my money.

It's a no win for WoTc and I can promise you that I wouldn't be the only one.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Maybe they just aren't good quality? I only played a few but they were very ho hum. HotDQ merits a Pulitzer by comparison.
They're shorter than HotDQ, but much better done in terms of encounter design, pacing, and DM-helpful bits than the first part of HotDQ (which was a real disaster at some Encounter tables - my own included, sad to say - it seems like they hadn't ironed out the encounter guidelines, or hadn't shared them with the writer, before it went to the presses).

(The rest of HotDQ didn't seem that great either, but I won't claim to have gone over it in detail.)

If nothing else, the AL adventures at least aren't all the same. Some are more interaction, some more combat, some divided up into short 'days,' others most likely taking place in one 'long' one, some town, some dungeon, etc...

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The fact is I could continue to keep playing but I never buy another WoTc product again. I could turn more to Paizo for adventures and continue to give them my money..

Then why don't you do that? If you are happy with just using Paizo modules in 5E, then just do it. WotC would probably be THRILLED if you were playing 5E using Paizo adventures.

They *don't care* if you aren't giving them any money. If they needed the money, they'd probably be producing more stuff. But since they aren't... ipso facto they don't NEED the money from new product to keep the D&D department active within WotC. All they care is that you are still playing 5E... because that means there are other people at your table playing 5E, and will maybe go out and buy some 5E product at some point, or go to dndclassics.com and buy some PDFs at some point, or go off to run their own table elsewhere and maybe THOSE table's players will go out and buy some 5E material too. That's really all that matters. People playing 5E. Not the money coming in from the sales of 5E.

Your money... Sailor Moon's money... the money in Sailor Moon's wallet... they don't want it. Because they apparently do not want to spend the time, effort, and finances to produce the thing that would GET the money from Sailor Moon's wallet.

Regardless of how many threads you start bemoaning the fact.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I just checked Wizards locator to with in a 100 mile radius of me and there is one shop that does AL and it's about 36 miles away. Everything else is strictly Magic.

I always laugh when I check because Renton WA doesn't have AL. It does have a store, and a geek bar and the HQ for the company. It doesn't have organized play.

Why are you worried about whether I quit playing or not? The fact is I could continue to keep playing but I never buy another WoTc product again. I could turn more to Paizo for adventures and continue to give them my money.

It's a no win for WoTc and I can promise you that I wouldn't be the only one.

Why are you worried about whether WotC will miss out on your money? Do you routinely complain that the manufacturer of your recently purchased refrigerator isn't selling add-on drawers and additional ice-maker options after six months? Do you buy a new car and find yourself worrying about Ford's long term prospects because they're not taking the opportunity to sell you new decals, hood ornaments and bumper stickers every month?

WotC is pursuing a business model of leveraging the D&D brand name to make money through board games, video games and movies. They've successfully put out the core books (in other words you've already bought the refrigerator / car). They're putting out adventure paths now, and if you're not an adventure path customer, you're not an adventure path customer, why all the angst?

Maybe they'll put out a book you will be interested eventually, in which case you're free to buy it. But they're not going to base their business model on the expectation that you will buy it, because historically every product after the core books has always brought in diminishing returns.

If the amount of support matters to you more than the core ruleset of the game, by all means play Pathfinder, Paizo's got you covered there. Wizards has just decided they're not interested in providing that level of support to you, any more than Ford is in selling you a bumper sticker subscription once you've forked over the cash for your car. You can bemoan that fact and forecast doom and gloom about the future of D&D all you want but the fact of the matter is Wizards doesn't agree with you about the amount and types of product they need to put out to keep D&D profitable for them.

Manchu

First Post
For all those who keep posting that WotC does not care about us moaning, keep in mind they don't care about our praise either. I think everyone regularly posting on a forum like EnWorld is the demographic WotC is least concerned about now that 5E has gone to print and has proven well received.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Then why don't you do that? If you are happy with just using Paizo modules in 5E, then just do it. WotC would probably be THRILLED if you were playing 5E using Paizo adventures.

They *don't care* if you aren't giving them any money. If they needed the money, they'd probably be producing more stuff. But since they aren't... ipso facto they don't NEED the money from new product to keep the D&D department active within WotC. All they care is that you are still playing 5E... because that means there are other people at your table playing 5E, and will maybe go out and buy some 5E product at some point, or go to dndclassics.com and buy some PDFs at some point, or go off to run their own table elsewhere and maybe THOSE table's players will go out and buy some 5E material too. That's really all that matters. People playing 5E. Not the money coming in from the sales of 5E.

Your money... Sailor Moon's money... the money in Sailor Moon's wallet... they don't want it. Because they apparently do not want to spend the time, effort, and finances to produce the thing that would GET the money from Sailor Moon's wallet.

Regardless of how many threads you start bemoaning the fact.

You would have a point if I were the only one, but I'm not.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
You would have a point if I were the only one, but I'm not.

Feel free to apply my statement to everyone whose feeling matches yours. All evidence suggests the same applies. They don't want any of your money because they don't want to spent the time, money and energy to produce what you're looking for.

Probably because they money they'd get in return from you folks wouldn't cover the hassle to produce it at the rate you're looking for.

Remove ads