• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So what exactly is Wizards working on?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
It's not about releasing "loads" of products. It's about the dumb excuses I keep hearing. If I didn't know better, I would think Wizards was a newbie company that can't walk and chew gum at the same time. I'm just pointing out the fact that Paizo can produce a successful Society program while dishing out loads of product.

Once again, nobody here is asking for tons of product, he'll you would think at the pace they were going we would at least have one or two more really great products after the core three. All we've gotten are a few AP'S that another company did and a 25 page PDF that is more than half of spells.

I just used your words concerning Paizo.

LOL!

You seem sure of yourself don't ya? You don't know what Wizards needs. If they didn't need the money then they wouldn't bother putting out a new edition.

They've more than made their money back with the three core books, though. You have to spend money to make money (pay all the writers, editors, and artists and pay for printers, distribution and inventory space), and it looks like they've decided it's easier to just do less of all that and yes, make less money in return.

They're banking on making far more from movies, board games and video games using the D&D IP. It's nice to have a game to serve as the heart of the brand, but they could cancel the pen and paper product line tomorrow and still make a killing on non-RPG products. The tabletop game itself is legacy-ware at this point, not crucial at all Hasbro's eyes.

You aren't making a bit of sense to be honest. Have you ever thought that maybe Wizards has gotten it wrong again?

Wouldn't be the first.

It's possible Wizards has gotten it wrong again. It's also possible they're right. It's hard to argue with the proposition that they'd make a lot more money off of movies and video games purchased by millions than they would off tens of thousands of hardcover purchases.

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I'd say either play 5e for what it is, if its not fun due to lack of expansion books then play something else. Or write letters to Hasbro and tell them you know how to do it better for their bottom line, maybe you do and they will listen.

Last edited:

These comparisons aren't quite fair. This is more like your favorite band not putting out a new album as often as you'd like, or your favorite chef not trotting out new dishes as often as you want.

You've just driven home for me why I get so irritated by statements like "You'd have a point if it were just me, but there's lot of us", implying that WotC better get it's act together and satisfy the complainers or they're toast.

It's exactly the tone people take when the gripe about it taking so long between Song of Fire and Ice novels.

George R. R. Martin is not your bitch, people, and neither is Wizards of the Coast. Their continued success as a company is not dependent on anyone buying D&D books. If you bought the core books, you've already given them your money, and now they're looking elsewhere for customers because they'll make more money for less investment reaping profits from board games, video games, movies and the like.

Expressing you'd like to see more product offerings is fine! I'd like to see more product offerings! But to imply they're mad idiot fools for not catering to you specifically when they are perfectly capable of deciding the best way for their company to make a profit on their own is the height of entitled arrogance.

(Not saying you're implying that, neobolts! I just keep seeing it infect thread after thread on EnWorld.)

I'm also baffled why there isn't anything on the release schedule past PotA. Even if it were a single module with a name and a single paragraph teaser that's coming Q1 2016. Something. Anything. PAX East came and went with no razzle dazzle. I think I'm coming from a different place than OP though. I'm a fanboy eager to geek out over what they are cooking up. OP seems to be putting out an acrimonious vibe, although that may not be their intent. (And OP started a very similar thread to this one a few weeks ago.)

On your other points we agree, though I think the answer as to "why" is simply that they have limited staff and don't want to announce things too far out in case they need to cancel or significantly delay a product. So far we've been given product announcements ~6 months in advance and I see no reason to not expect them to continue that trend moving forward.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
You've just driven home for me why I get so irritated by statements like "You'd have a point if it were just me, but there's lot of us", implying that WotC better get it's act together and satisfy the complainers or they're toast.

It's exactly the tone people take when the gripe about it taking so long between Song of Fire and Ice novels.

George R. R. Martin is not your bitch, people, and neither is Wizards of the Coast. Their continued success as a company is not dependent on anyone buying D&D books. If you bought the core books, you've already given them your money, and now they're looking elsewhere for customers because they'll make more money for less investment reaping profits from board games, video games, movies and the like.

Expressing you'd like to see more product offerings is fine! I'd like to see more product offerings! But to imply they're mad idiot fools for not catering to you specifically when they are perfectly capable of deciding the best way for their company to make a profit on their own is the height of entitled arrogance.

(Not saying you're implying that, neobolts! I just keep seeing it infect thread after thread on EnWorld.)

On your other points we agree, though I think the answer as to "why" is simply that they have limited staff and don't want to announce things too far out in case they need to cancel or significantly delay a product. So far we've been given product announcements ~6 months in advance and I see no reason to not expect them to continue that trend moving forward.

I've been an active gamer for a long time and I have kept close to the business. Employees come and go but long time customers remain. I do know the trends and I do know what a lot of people want. I go to various forums, and I talk to loads of other gamers online and in real life. I also watch other companies and I see the way they do things.

Just because I'm a random person on the Internet doesn't change the fact that I do have knowledge and that I may be right. Wizards is being super secret for no reason at all if that is what they are doing. Other companies give you a heads up on their products and what could be down the line. Keeping your info tight because you are scared of possible backlash due to a cancellation is an argument that is about a lame as the whole no PDF'S because of piracy.

Wizards always manages to screw something up down the line. You would think they would eventually get it right, especially with an edition such as 5th that has so much potential.

I also see the flawed argument about bloat. You can have a meaty release schedule without bloat, period. Also, if you look at other threads, there are loads of people on these forums who want more product releases. There are only a few of you who actually like the current strategy.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I also see the flawed argument about bloat. You can have a meaty release schedule without bloat, period. Also, if you look at other threads, there are loads of people on these forums who want more product releases. There are only a few of you who actually like the current strategy.
Why am I always in the 'only a few' category? ;(

Seriously, though, the line you cross to get to 'bloat' may be largely a matter of preference, but the nature of games like D&D, that have long lists of rules for stuff - spells, items, sub-classes, etc, etc - and add material by adding to those lists, is such that the more you add to the game, the more you increase its complexity, learning curve, and opportunities for unintended synergies that can be abused (willfully or accidentally).

A more early-AD&D pace of releases is going to delay crossing that line and becoming 'bloated,' for everyone, even if it is still different for everyone.

Remove ads