So what's the most powerful combo in Rifts?

scourger

Explorer
1) Get out Heroes Unlimited. Ignoring the randomness of the random power chart, make a Superhero.

2) Get the RIFTS Conversion book and convert the Superhero's stats into RIFTS.

3) Start loading him down with RIFTS gear, like getting him a SAMAS or Glitterboy.

I did that with a Heroes Unlimited alien and wound up with a very cool MD character. He was still undone by a 1 MDC mini-grenade hidden in an aspirin tablet that he took for an in-game headache. Ah, the good old days!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
BAH!

Q: What kind of hero takes asprin?

A: Dead ones!

If a Heroes, Unlimited PC had only one power- Invulnerability- that would give him an MDC of 700 + MDC regeneration.

And he could have more than that...

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I found a reference to something here back in 2001

Rifts Juicers... - SpaceBattles.com that mentions

The ultimate Rifts character at first level though was made on the Palladium Books forum and had tens of thousands of melee attacks, could launch all of them in under four seconds, and was totally book legal.

AnubisXy posted it months ago, and he didn't even save it. It did involve an Octoman with added bio-magic limbs, rings with magic adrenal rush and fleet feet, and Muay Thai's Lightning Kata, with a few other nasty things I forget. Anubis says he's going to try and reconstruct it once he gets all his books back.

[Edit] Oh yeah, Battle Fury blades too.

Core book- Atlantean slave lord with his blind slave guards.

RIFTS has some of the best art work out there.

I always wanted to "3.5" Rifts for better play but never did.

Juicers I remember were powerful. Beyond that... I played only once but bought about a dozen books to use then the group decided they didn't want to try something other than DnD. Aw well.... it's just money (I can say that then since I had unlimited OT and nearly no bills)

fireinthedust

Explorer
I always wanted to "3.5" Rifts for better play but never did.

Juicers I remember were powerful. Beyond that... I played only once but bought about a dozen books to use then the group decided they didn't want to try something other than DnD. Aw well.... it's just money (I can say that then since I had unlimited OT and nearly no bills)

M&M is the best way to do the 3e version of this. Alternatively you can go wild with d20 modern or True20, but you'd have to not care about balance if you're oging all the way by including dragons and psionics, etc.

Most powerful Combo: I remember the space book having a race with "gods" as the function of it, like if you wanted to play Thor or something. Spellcasters would know and cast every spell of a particular level: first would get all 1st level spells, second level you'd get all the 2nd level spells, etc. I don't even think it was if they took a spellcasting class, it was like a feat or trait they could choose on top of anything else.

By craziest combo, tho, are you talking about PC combos? In that case, it depends on what resources you're allowing. If I could be, like, a splugorth or deity, sure I'd be that. But if we're talking core book... that uber psionicist would be a good start.

Juicers are cool, and the whole "you die in 5 years" assumes the campaign will last five years (ugh; that's like assuming Elven lifespans will affect anything other than roleplaying). But it depends on the gear and situation and suchnot, and what the other players have.

for example, if the Juicer is gear with weapons and such but is on the ground, and another player is a dragon or deity and can shoot them from space with MDC damage... or just teleport them into the Sun... well, there you go. I'm sure some grognard or other has a character designed to max out teleporting a character into the sun.

juicer-wraths are NPCs, tho, so I don't think they count. Same thing for monsters like splugorth; or most of the options mentioned (octo-guys, etc.).

And Vampires were pretty powerful, I recall, unless you had wood, silver, or a squirt gun (which was silly, but that's Rifts for you).

hero4hire

Explorer
I dont remember the specifics but years ago I made a rahaman juicer who had thai kickboxing just to prove how broken I could make a character when the gm said any megaverse supplement was allowed. I remember having a massive amount of attacks per round combined with autododge and supernatural strength.

Green Knight

First Post
By craziest combo, tho, are you talking about PC combos?

Yep. Any playable RCC with an OCC. For example, I thought I'd see what kind of beast I could come up with if I made, say, a Demigod Mega-Hero Experiment (Heroes Unlimited). I gave the guy Sonic Flight, Invulnerability, and Supernatural Strength, as well as the Mega-Hero powers of Tremendous SDC (which for him would be converted to MDC) and Tremendous Physical Strength. In the end, I ended up with a supernatural PS of 98! That's 2d4x10+30 MD if I remember right, just with his bare hands! And he inflicts a death blow on a to hit roll of 16-20.

Nevermind the Invulnerability! Half damage from supernatural attacks, full damage from psionics, spells, and magic weapons, and zero damage from everything else. And to top it off, he got an extra 700 MDC and regenerated 1d6x10 MDC per four rounds. Geeze! It's been almost 10 years since I've played Rifts, as I just couldn't take its rules system anymore, but I got almost half a mind to start up a Rifts campaign just so I could play with my old ganking friends, again, and spring that monstrosity on them (They regularly played a Juicer and a Glitter Boy, and on more than a few occasions they'd backstab my character, kill him, and take his stuff).

Wik

First Post
Gah. RIFTS.

Even the name makes me scowl.

I remember seeing the option of playing what was basically described as a "walking mountain" - an RCC That was at least 50 feet tall and had super strength... and could carry guns that were literally the size of TANKS. Oh, and they were also naturally psionic.

And then you could also have a PC that was an intelligent whale. With intelligent whale body armour, and weapons.

And then the next guy would be Mr. Uber Juicer, with crazy kung fu, crazy weapons, and super cool shades and spiky hair.

And then there'd be the poor sap (ah, who am I kidding, it's me) that decided playing the "Vagabond" was a good choice. You know, the guy who got a few piddly skills, a pistol, no armour, and no crazy super powers? you know, the "regular joe" PC?

The "regular joe" who was friends with a walking mountain, a weird armoured whale, and a tweaked out methhead ninja?

Gah. RIFTS.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Heroes unlimited cheese is probably the best you can do. I think there was a combo that was possible with some sort of flame-form power and either multiple selves or resurrection.

In short, flame form gives you natural MDC while you're in it, a bunch of fire attacks and also allows you to detonate yourself for 10,000 mega damage in some stupidly big radius.

Multiple selves or resurrection allows you to do this repeatedly (I think there's a cost, but it's minor compared with the destruction you can cause).

I think there's also some nuts stuff you can do with nightspawn's expansions and the conversion book but it's all so whacky I can't even remember the basics of it.

Wik

First Post
I once got into an argument with this girl that plays RIFTS, and has never played any other RPG. I told her that RIFTs was one of the most unbalanced and crazy games out there... and her argument was that it was a better designed game than D&D.

I told her there was no way she could be serious - that, as far as actual rules DESIGN went, D&D had RIFTS beat in spades, that one could objectively prove this (as opposed to say, a better designed SETTING). I love the argument she gave, though - and this was coming from a Rifts fan who only plays Rifts, who thinks it's a very well-designed game:

"Well, of course if you use everything in the books it will be unbalanced. The GM has to carefully look over anything in his game."

...what? I can understand the sentiment here, and of course she's sort of right. But it bugged me that this is the defence that is used, again and again, in defence of Rifts. Still boggles my mind.

Remove ads